xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeune

Deviantart Codebase What script is the UI written in?

Do any of you guys have an account at DA? I've been using it for almost a year now and I've been impressed with the new user interface:1) There's this thing where you can drag your favorites into a box that pops out on top. 2) Whenever I check new deviations from my friends, each of their deviations seem to load in a box of its own.I am interested to know if you guys have any idea what language was used to implement something like that. I asked a geek friend of mine, he thinks it's written in javascript but I disagree because I've been scouring the net fora plug and play javascript that's similar to the box that rolls down from the top but I can't find any.

If it's what I think what you're talking about, yes, that's javascript, and to be more precise, it must be using ajax. Finding things like that on internet isn't easy, because you have to make a combination of good CSS and javascript to make it look good and really work. I'll try to see if I can get something to aid you.

EDIT: take a look at this website. If you don't allow javascript it wont allow you to drag images. It's a premade javascript code to let you make images movable. Try to see what the webpage says, if you need further help, maybe I can help you, though I'm not very good at javascript.

Following step would be to create a javascript function to check if the image goes into a div, then use ajax to communicate to server, and save photo/image into database.

Sorry if that confused you even more :D

Edited by Pankyy (see edit history)

Ay, wow that was really amazing! Thanks.

You got half of what I wanted with the image-dragging javascript (thanks again) but what about the box that rolls down like it was done in flash? I guess this is where AJAX comes into the picture?

Sorry if that confused you even more

Not at all, I am quite a developer myself, but a rusty one :D

Ay, wow that was really amazing! Thanks.
You got half of what I wanted with the image-dragging javascript (thanks again) but what about the box that rolls down like it was done in flash? I guess this is where AJAX comes into the picture?

Not at all, I am quite a developer myself, but a rusty one :D

Sorry which box is the one you're making reference of? If you mean the Collect box or the online box for the chat then I would say both are made CSS-based. They don't seem to be flash.

If you mean the Collect box or the online box for the chat

I am talking about the collect box..

So lemme guess this straight, CSS allows the collect box to rollover down? or is that javascript + Ajax? :D

I am talking about the collect box..
So lemme guess this straight, CSS allows the collect box to rollover down? or is that javascript + Ajax? :P

Can you provide a direct link please. I have no idea what your talking about here :D

interested too guysDeviantart Codebase

I think what he means is the "Favorites Panel" showing up when you drag the objects up. In that way when you release the dragged object on that panel, it will be saved to your favorites.

-reply by Xtian