xisto Community
rejected

Pop-ups

Have any of you ever tried one of those pop-up things where you sign up, put a pop-up on your site, and for every hit you get like 10 cents? I was actually looking into it, but I'm thinking it would drive my veiwers away.

People hate popups. They are annoying. I could set those popups at Xisto and easily make $100 .. but they simply aint good. It also looks very un-professional to show popups.

Firefox fails with some types of popups. Our ad network, Realtechmedia started serving popups within the banners by mistake and all of them were successfully delievered :-S

I don't like pop-ups myself, they never stop. I hate going to one of my favorite sites and pop-ups start coming up. That's why it sucks to be hosting at AngelFire, great place but hate the pop-ups.

http://www.yesadvertising.com/ is an advertiser which pays you for pop ups, pop unders , banners ads, and interterestial(dunno how spelt) ads. it is nothing close to 10cents an ad. most prices are close to 1-5$ per CPM (cpm means cost thousand (m is a word or something meaning thousand). people hate pop ups and they are almost always blocked, it does drive people away, especially if they are new to the site. it isnt worth it

Yea, poppup blockers are becoming strong enough to block almost 100% of popups, so better off using banner adds. I know that if I like a site enough, I'll click a few of the adds just to get them a few extra cents, and I know some other peoples do too. Don't beg for clicks excessivly though, it looks really unproffessional.

Pop-Ups are the worst thing. I can take pop unders but I hate the ones that come up in front of you, those are annoying. Also arent the pop-ups thats are delivered successfuly and by bass most pop-up filters, dont they go into the cache and launch themselves other then using DHTML or javascript. Thats what I think they do anyway. :P:D

Pop-ups = the quickest way to repel visitors. Look at the infamous Maddox site: Not a pop-up in sight (or site, :P), and one of the most heavily viewed (and dare I say...respected?) websites on the net. This guy has the right idea. He has acknowledged that he could make loads of money putting advertisements on his site, but he refuses to because of the sheer unprofessional style of it.

Bottom line: if you want your visitors to appreciate your content, refrain from advertising. It only causes frustration.

I have 1 banner ad on my forums and thats it. Its at the top so it can support my community. But I dont put them all over the place and my members dont seem to mind. I also dont and never will use pop ups anyway. :P

Yeah! Plus pop up ads make your code really slopy because you have to put them in all different tags of your html and what not. So the bottum line is thats its pointless, dumb, and a waste of time. So dont do them. Get my drift. :P:D