xisto Community
Digitalidad

Drug Legalization Are you for or against it and why?

Nowadays, in my country people are talking about how ineffective the government has been in the drug war; it looks like the drug cartels are a huge mafia taking over the country. They have so much power that kill people by dozens and nobody seems to be able to stop them. "You get into their game or die" they say.So, some politicians are suggesting the legalization of drugs in order to diminish the power of cartels: if anybody can buy drugs freely, the cartels will go out of business and people will not be so attracted to using them (?). They also stress the importance of a parallel program for making people aware of the damages drugs cause to their health and so they try to decrease the number of new addicts. They say that it would happen the same as in Al Capone's times, when alcohol was illegal. It suddenly was legal and demand diminished and the mafia became less powerful.What do you think that would happen if drugs were made legal? Thanks in advance for your opinion on this!

depending on the drugs. Pot, Crack, Coke, which drugs? there many drugs that should be legalize, Pot for one. But other? Heck No. Take Crack, you know what that Beep does not only to your body but to your brain? It would be stupid as you know where for any country to make it legal. And if they did? Odds are they are taking drugs themselfs and just looking for a way out to buy them without having there beep cought and thrown in jail.

Nowadays, in my country people are talking about how ineffective the government has been in the drug war; it looks like the drug cartels are a huge mafia taking over the country. They have so much power that kill people by dozens and nobody seems to be able to stop them. "You get into their game or die" they say.
So, some politicians are suggesting the legalization of drugs in order to diminish the power of cartels: if anybody can buy drugs freely, the cartels will go out of business and people will not be so attracted to using them (?). They also stress the importance of a parallel program for making people aware of the damages drugs cause to their health and so they try to decrease the number of new addicts.

They say that it would happen the same as in Al Capone's times, when alcohol was illegal. It suddenly was legal and demand diminished and the mafia became less powerful.

What do you think that would happen if drugs were made legal?

Thanks in advance for your opinion on this!

Drug Legalization ? Over the country. It seems all country going to wild. The supports of drug legalize politicians are must be involved in the drug business or they are supported by drug businessman.
I think if there is made drug legalization, there is disorder in the country. Every people starts to take drug. Every child will victim of drug, so whole nation's future may lead to collapse.

depending on the drugs. Pot, Crack, Coke, which drugs? there many drugs that should be legalize, Pot for one. But other? Heck No. Take Crack, you know what that Beep does not only to your body but to your brain? It would be stupid as you know where for any country to make it legal. And if they did? Odds are they are taking drugs themselfs and just looking for a way out to buy them without having there beep cought and thrown in jail.

XD it sounds funny but it may be true! It's well known that many politicians and police members use illegal drugs, but I don't think they're doing this just to buy drugs freely. Anyway, they do use drugs with no problem today! What would be the difference?

As for the kind of drugs, they started talking about pot for therapeutical use, but now they're talking about all kinds of drug in order to make it something so common that people -drug users that is- wouldn't need to go to a drug dealer to buy it and so cartels would lose power. Now... :D I wonder... Would it be possible to get crack at Walmart then? :P That would be way too weird! And would it be available only to the grown ups, like cigarettes now? I guess so.

Yes, if drug legalization happens, than same with the alchocol, teenagers will go wild about it, and the whole country will go wild. People will be stealing just to buy drugs, killing themselves and they will feel 'cool' if they do, so many people will start using drugs. The point is, if someone is forbidden, people want it. If it's legalized, they use it! The people in your country should complain about that, they don't want some psycho to kill them while walking down the street. And than young people will became dealers, as a 'easy' way to get money. Legalizing drugs is sure not a solution.

Yes, if drug legalization happens, than same with the alchocol, teenagers will go wild about it, and the whole country will go wild. People will be stealing just to buy drugs, killing themselves and they will feel 'cool' if they do, so many people will start using drugs. The point is, if someone is forbidden, people want it. If it's legalized, they use it! The people in your country should complain about that, they don't want some psycho to kill them while walking down the street. And than young people will became dealers, as a 'easy' way to get money. Legalizing drugs is sure not a solution.

I agree with you. Many crimes are committed under the influence of drugs. Cowards get the guts to do all kind of stupid things like robbery and murder. People get violent with drugs.

Peace.

Yes, and if your government thinks of legalizing drugs, there must be some dealers in it. Or some terrorists, trying to get the 'west-related' people to kill themselves between, to destroy themselves. If drugs get legalized in one single country, than the rest of the world is going to want to do the same, and there always will be people who want that to happen, and this whole world is going to became a place where you get born to take drugs and everything is going to be wild, there will be no democracy and everything will be destroyed. People will be dying around because they don't have enough to eat, because everybody will be under drugs' influence and no one will work nothing lol(well, that might be worst-case scenario).

The issue of legalization is a difficult one to tackle because "drugs" encompass a diverse group of substances that have a wide range of effects on society and the individual. Thus the question arises: should all drugs be legalized or decriminalized?
The fact is that people will be able to buy drugs whether they are legal or not. I have even heard some teenagers say it is easier to buy pot than alcohol. No need for a fake id or an older friend to go to the convenience store; most dealers, I would assume, have no scruples as to selling to minors. The issue of government sanctioned selling of dangerous, highly addictive narcotics such as crack, heroin, and PCP becomes then an ethical issue. Some people argue that tax revenue from drug sales would help our economy, and even I would claim that taking out the factor of "street sales" could dramatically reduce gun crimes and homicides in America. Yet if these particular narcotics are legalized, we essentially would be contributing to the addiction and self-destruction of every single person that purchases them. The effects of the drugs I have mentioned cannot be controlled by the user. Friends, family, values, religion, logic, all crumble in the face of a drug addiction. 8 out of 10 people entering rehab for substance abuse do not stay sober. Although I think the "war on drugs" is not as effective as it could be, relinquishing the battle would be worse. Can we honestly say we would let a drug be sold that is probably being purchased instead of diapers for an infant child? I say no.

drugs should not be legalized it would be a waste, the reason why people do it its because its good, addicting and something others call peer pressure to take and soon become addicted. By legalizing drugs its telling the whole world we are not willing to fight for our believes and our right and our care to humans so that they can live a nice and healthy happy life not getting high or addicted sniffing cocaine.

fACTS CAN be found here in a year old article
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
*post has been fixed mod plz remove my warn.*
Edited by Veradesigns (see edit history)

Lol there is no way to stop the drugs.Because one of the main reaons that the FBI sell drugs to get money for there war's in the US. + Drug dealers will always be 1 step ahead of them- Ash :D

Well the legalization of certain quantities and types of drugs might be alright, you should be able to have an ID, a super counter-fit ID, and a certain age.A bit older than the drinking age thought, maybe 25-30, that age to get the ID. I think in someways legalizing drugs won't be super bad, because again, alcohol used to be illegal, and now when they changed it, it became less of an impact on people's lives.If the government does it, they just need to be careful.

Hello everyone and thanks for your posts. It's been very interesting to hear your opinions.When you mentioned that if a country makes drugs legal every other country would want to do the same I remembered Amsterdam, where you can go to a coffee shop and buy drugs - I even have a friend who went to Amsterdam and bought a very nice cake without knowing it was made with drugs!The Dutch have allowed the sales of certain drugs in certain quantities and after certain age. As you say, legalizing drugs is possible provided it is done carefully. As far as I know Amsterdam is very liberal but it's not Sodoma (or is it? :D ). It's supposed to be a very modern place. However, I think there you can have a sick kind of tourism. People wanting to go there just to buy and use drugs, which doesn't sound very attractive for locals!

Weed should definitly be decriminalized.If the government manufactured say heroin and gave it tojunkies they would be easier able to moniter the rehabilitation process.It sounds like an idea.I can see them doing this with some drugs.I somehow just can't see the governmentmanufacturing ecstacy and acid and giving it away for freethough. It just seems a little far fetched.

They're going to legalize drugs here, but they won't legalize its sale. I mean, it's ridicoulous, you won't get any charge for having drugs for yourself but you they can charge you for buying them? Now, the only way you can get them without buying them is harvesting them, but again, who would do that?In my perspective, while sending to jail people that smokes drugs is stupid when there are a lot that are robbing and killing people, it's also bad legalizing it, this could easily increase crime, more people addicted to it, without enough money to buy (because they're actually going to buy), and there will be even more chaos. It seems just as illegal software: you can have it, but you can't share it nor sell it. Even if it will be become a less of an impact on people's lives as tramposch says, many will also became addict, and I would be repeating myself so I'll stop :D

I am for free legal entheogens, as well as Cannabis.

Not for 'drug' use, no, but for spiritual purposes and medical as in the case of Cannabis.

Please see Link for more information.