xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Can This Be Done, To Fight Against Im Spam? Crazy and maybe impossible thought.

Have you ever opened up your YIM,MSN or what ever messenger and been bombed by bots selling there sites? Yes you can set up your messengers to only accpet from persons on your list only I know. But has anyone ever thought or seen of comming up with a program that would block out someone that gives out a web address? I know something like this would be almost impossible to do, but think of it. Having a Adon for your messenger that would block out such junk as this. Why Yahoo,MSN and Google has not come up or even thought of this idea I do not know.

Yeah it can be done. But the question is who will write the addon or program to do that? The criteria to block such messages would also have to be decided. I get spam from people on my friends list when I jump on MSN so it could be either their machine has been taken over by a bot or that bot is imitating that user.

In order to prevent from blocking legitimate links you may require both a white list and a black list. Attempting to block sites from just anyone that sends you an instant message is problematic. As much as it would be convenient to block a message that is spam without having it blacklisted first, it's not possible if you seek to allow your friends sending you links, like of YouTube videos. The white list would be to list users you trust to allow sending messages with links in them. The black list would be in case the user's account gets hijacked, which would at least prevent the user from sending you the same message with the same link over and over and over again, while allowing legitimate links. The script could also have a warning that informs the whitelisted person that they attempted to send a link that is blacklisted.

Yeah it can be done. But the question is who will write the addon or program to do that? The criteria to block such messages would also have to be decided. I get spam from people on my friends list when I jump on MSN so it could be either their machine has been taken over by a bot or that bot is imitating that user.

Well as said below you would need a white and black list. The one's say that are loaded onto your messenger would be in the white. keeper list.

In order to prevent from blocking legitimate links you may require both a white list and a black list. Attempting to block sites from just anyone that sends you an instant message is problematic. As much as it would be convenient to block a message that is spam without having it blacklisted first, it's not possible if you seek to allow your friends sending you links, like of YouTube videos. The white list would be to list users you trust to allow sending messages with links in them. The black list would be in case the user's account gets hijacked, which would at least prevent the user from sending you the same message with the same link over and over and over again, while allowing legitimate links. The script could also have a warning that informs the whitelisted person that they attempted to send a link that is blacklisted.

Yes a warning would be great. Say it give the sender a warning message, so if they are a real person they know not to send a link or a full link again.

Well when I boot into windows or linux, I am forced to use one of the lame clients such as pidgin or kopete which, unfortunately, I can do nothing to stop this kind of behavior except writing my own plugin, which I really don't have the patience to do... Thankfully when I boot into OS X I have a great IM client known as Adium with a community that creates and uploads tons of plugins and mods for use (kind of like the mozilla add-ons site), and if the plugin you are looking for doesn't exist it is extremely easy to write one in pearl or applescript.One nice plugin that I found on their repository of plugins was an anti-spam one. Basically if a person contacts you who is not already in your contact list, it asks a control question of your choice, such as "What is 1+1", or even "What is my first name". If the control question isn't answered correctly, you never receive any any notification from that user.

I wish i could remember the name of this program we used to have it in our canasta league and it wont let anyone add you to there messenger you have to add them they cant even send you a message. I think sit might have been called yahoo tunnel but I am not sure. and when someone not from your list tries to message you it gives them an automated response that you are not accepting messages from people not on your list. And you done even see it or know it has happend I will try to find out what the name of that program is if i can remember like I said though I think it might be called tunnel. But I will try to find out for sure and will let you all know. and as far as I know its only for YIM but im not sure because I dont use MSN or AIM any I will try to get the name and post it here.

I wish i could remember the name of this program we used to have it in our canasta league and it wont let anyone add you to there messenger you have to add them they cant even send you a message. I think sit might have been called yahoo tunnel but I am not sure. and when someone not from your list tries to message you it gives them an automated response that you are not accepting messages from people not on your list. And you done even see it or know it has happend I will try to find out what the name of that program is if i can remember like I said though I think it might be called tunnel. But I will try to find out for sure and will let you all know. and as far as I know its only for YIM but im not sure because I dont use MSN or AIM any I will try to get the name and post it here.

Your thinking of Ytunnle Hippy. Which is no longer free anymore. I would love to come up with something kind of like that, but would work on all messengers. And I know, In the Pool League I used to have, we all ran Ytunnal, due to Other leagues and trouble makers and such. :D Edited by Echo_of_thunder (see edit history)