xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
flashy

Learn To Count In Binary

Basically i am going to teach you how to count in binary :D

It is more typical to use a 4 bit rather than the standard 8 bit (ie. 0001 is 1, is much easier to understand 00000001)

Now binary digits are doubled each place value of the group, for example;

The first digit 0000 has a value of 1

The second digit 0000 has a value of 2

The third digit 0000 has a value of 4

The fourth digit 0000 has a value of 8

And it would go on if you were to have more bits.

So basically, we should already know that binary consists of two objects; either an ON or an OFF. It is usually represented in 0s and 1s - 1 stands for ON and 0 stands for OFF.

So a binary 1 would be this: 0001

A binary 2 would be: 0010, since the second digit of the values has a value of 2 so we dont need any others

A binary 3 would be: 0011, since we need the second AND the first digit to make 3

A binary 4 would be: 0100, since the value of the third one is equal to 4.

A binary 5 would be: 0101 - get it now?

So it is quite easy to pick up, and since we are using 4 bit binary we could only get a maximum number of 15 - however, an 8 bit (1 byte) binary number would consist of MUCH more.

And so now i will show you how to get the number 123 - its really just maths

00000001: 1

00000010: 2

00000100: 4

00001000: 8

00010000: 16

00100000: 32

01000000: 64

10000000: 128

01111011 - and there we have it :D - 64+32+16+8+2+1 = 123

--

? - Pecky productions (lol) - no sources involved, just my head and clever computer science :P

ONLY FOR PUBLISH FOR SCRIPT-CENTER.com|WHS|Xisto

Basically i am going to teach you how to count in binary :D

It is more typical to use a 4 bit rather than the standard 8 bit (ie. 0001 is 1, is much easier to understand 00000001)

Now binary digits are doubled each place value of the group, for example;

The first digit 0000 has a value of 1

The second digit 0000 has a value of 2

The third digit 0000 has a value of 4

The fourth digit 0000 has a value of 8

And it would go on if you were to have more bits.

So basically, we should already know that binary consists of two objects; either an ON or an OFF. It is usually represented in 0s and 1s - 1 stands for ON and 0 stands for OFF.

So a binary 1 would be this: 0001

A binary 2 would be: 0010, since the second digit of the values has a value of 2 so we dont need any others

A binary 3 would be: 0011, since we need the second AND the first digit to make 3

A binary 4 would be: 0100, since the value of the third one is equal to 4.

A binary 5 would be: 0101 - get it now?

So it is quite easy to pick up, and since we are using 4 bit binary we could only get a maximum number of 15 - however, an 8 bit (1 byte) binary number would consist of MUCH more.

And so now i will show you how to get the number 123 - its really just maths

00000001: 1

00000010: 2

00000100: 4

00001000: 8

00010000: 16

00100000: 32

01000000: 64

10000000: 128

01111011 - and there we have it :D - 64+32+16+8+2+1 = 123

--

? - Pecky productions (lol) - no sources involved, just my head and clever computer science :P

ONLY FOR PUBLISH FOR SCRIPT-CENTER.com|WHS|Xisto

i have never learn anything about binary, but now that i have read your post i'm starting to understand it

Wow, this is good, thanks a lot. You can count in binary to billion or something? If we can count in binary, how can it help us? The computers use only binary numbers, 0 and 1. Why is that? Have human made them to do that? This seems really educational and I'll apprechiate if you answer these few questions of mine.

yup they teaching me this is java programing its pretty easy unless they want you to do a 10101010101010111110100101010101010101010101010010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010That's my homework to figure out what that is lol...also they said to figure out a something lol...i don't know but ill see java programing is OK but the way you count numbers in computer language is crazy.

Wow thanks,This is a good tutorial on how to do it, I have never found somthing so help-full for this game.Keep up the good work and post many more :D

:P And I'm going to teach you how to multiply in binary.It's actually pretty simple, if you know how to do it normally (in decimal) :DSo, in decimal it would be, let's say 105 * 23:--105 *----23_____--315210_____2415If you are used to that, in binary it's the same idea:----1011 *------101_______----10111011_______1101111011 is 8 + 2 + 1 = 11 in decimal.101 is 4 + 1 = 5 in decimal.Now, if we multiply in decimal, 11 * 5 = 55, which is exactly our result in binary, 110111.(I used the "-" signs to align the numbers right, as spaces aren't rendered correctly)

:D
And I'm going to teach you how to multiply in binary.
It's actually pretty simple, if you know how to do it normally (in decimal) :D

So, in decimal it would be, let's say 105 * 23:

--105 *
_____
_____

If you are used to that, in binary it's the same idea:

----1011 *
_______
_______

1011 is 8 + 2 + 1 = 11 in decimal.
101 is 4 + 1 = 5 in decimal.
Now, if we multiply in decimal, 11 * 5 = 55, which is exactly our result in binary, 110111.

(I used the "-" signs to align the numbers right, as spaces aren't rendered correctly)

hmmm this has got a bit confusing for the minute so I think I will have to come back to that later or my head will explode :P

hmmm this has got a bit confusing for the minute so I think I will have to come back to that later or my head will explode :D

A little bit? I am still trying to figure out why 1+1=2 lol. No joke though. Very nice info that I know a lot of us need to know. thanks

Wow, this is good, thanks a lot. You can count in binary to billion or something? If we can count in binary, how can it help us? The computers use only binary numbers, 0 and 1. Why is that? Have human made them to do that? This seems really educational and I'll apprechiate if you answer these few questions of mine.

You can count in binary to billion or something?

You can have bigger than 8 bits, but 8 is the standard.

If we can count in binary, how can it help us?

Because computers were designed and made to do calculations extremely fast

The computers use only binary numbers, 0 and 1. Why is that?

1 and 0 is just another way of saying ON and OFF. It is the principle of transistors and harddrives. Harddrives are made up of billions of tiny little iron filing like magnets, and when a bit is on then the filing would stand up by a magnetic field, and when it is off it is laid flat.

Transistors use 0s and 1s because they are a resistor and a conductor at the same time, so its like that, 1 = Conductor - 0 = Resistor.

Its just another way of putting it.

Have human made them to do that?

Its the only and best way to do it.

--

I hope i answered your q's :D

And thanks all for the comments :P

Every computers works in binary, even though there were other methods to, but they never got popular, it does not matter if the numbering is in binary, octal, hex or decimal, you can achieve the same numbers in interval (-oo;+oo)binary is the easiest method, because only with 0 and 1 you can achieve anything, by as said ON, OFF, 1, 0, true, false.. all the circuit boards works like that I guess by on, off and all the conditions evaluate by it, I mean OR, AND, NOT, OR NOT, AND NOT.. which is quite amazing when you think of it.. Easiest and simplest things can do amazing things :D a little bit of topic, for example DirectX and all the objects when you play games is drawn only by triangles, everything you see is triangles, with triangles you can achieve any form you want and those triangles are made from lines and lines are made from two points and a point can be a pixel :PI remember we learnt binary, hex, octal and decimal numbers in university 1 semester, it was a pain in the start, we needed to know what number is what, to multiply them, to convert them and do everything with them on paper, the hardest part for me was division for binary numbers, everything else was quite simple when you get the point how numbers work.. :D

I have now come back to it a given up O.o a bit like Echo_of_thunder has (I think) Kinda confusing I'm sure Youtube will help :D

for example DirectX and all the objects when you play games is drawn only by triangles, everything you see is triangles, with triangles you can achieve any form you want and those triangles are made from lines and lines are made from two points and a point can be a pixel :D

Wow i didnt know that :P - i just thought everything was done in pixels. Is that still the same for HD games? Like on the 360?

Wow i didnt know that :D - i just thought everything was done in pixels. Is that still the same for HD games? Like on the 360?

I don't know what HD games mean or what you mean by it? XBOX? But as I know, for example, DOS games were written a little differently, by using sprites, lines, rectangles I guess.. pixels and images and maybe some other techniques..
To add about DirectX, well, I spoke only about the objects, but for example the usage of textures, is that you put 2D images on those objects/triangles, even though I am not a game developer or anything, maybe there are plenty of stuff more, but this is the basic things I guess. :P

Um I just been on Youtube about this and a lot of fantastic video on about this subject, Why don't you go and check it out if you are confused like me.