xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Veradesigns

Google Earth 5.0 Mars

SAN FRANCISCO - Google Inc. on Monday launched a new version of Google Earth that allows users to explore the oceans, view images of Mars and watch regions of the Earth change over time.

The new features mark a significant upgrade to Google Earth, a popular software program that provides access to the world's geographical information through digital maps, satellite imagery and the company's search tools.

Google Earth 5.0 was unveiled at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, where former Vice President Al Gore, singer Jimmy Buffet and others spoke about its capacity to educate the public about global warming, ocean acidification and other threats to the planet.

"This is an extremely powerful educational tool," said Gore, who won a Nobel Peace Prize for his work raising awareness about climate change. "One of my fondest hopes is that people around the world will use Google Earth to see for themselves the reality of what's happening because of the climate crisis."

Google Earth has been downloaded more than 500 million times since it was launched in 2005. The software is available for free on Google's Web site. Researchers and organizations can purchase a more powerful version for $400.

John Hanke, director of Google Earth and Maps, said the idea of adding oceans came three years ago when a scientist pointed out that the software was missing the water that covers almost three-quarters of the Earth's surface.

Google Earth users can now plunge beneath the ocean's surface, explore three-dimensional images of the underwater terrain and view articles and videos about marine science contributed by scientists and organizations such as the National Geographic Society.

The Historical Imagery feature lets users see archive satellite images of individual locations to see how the region has evolved over time as a result of climate change and other forces. For example, viewers can observe how the largest glacier in Glacier National Park has melted over the past decade.

With Google Mars 3D, users can view three-dimensional, satellite imagery of the Red Planet taken during NASA space expeditions.

The new version also allows users to created narrated tours of places using the software's content and images.

"It's not just a fun demo," said Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt. "What it really is is a platform for science and research and literally understanding the future of the world."

Can you believe how far we have come up in technology, i mean mars we got pictures of mars!!! but the ocean wow must be pretty dam long to look at the whole world.

Notice from rvalkass:

Anything you copy must have Quote tags placed around it.

thank you rvalkass its nice to know there are some mods that actualy help you out on mistakes you make that you did not notice and warn you about them not warn you like User:truefusion wich im hating right now for not giving me a note of my mistakes he just when out to it and put 2 warnings sorry to put you out in blast truefusion but im just not likeing your way of warning people i feel its unjustly done you should of pmd me to change it or something you got to understand im new to this forum and its hard for us noobs to understand everything your forum and rules says.

Edited by Veradesigns
edit Topic Title (see edit history)

It's incredible just how far technology has got, but it's also incredible that when you use Google maps trying to see many places in Mexico City you don't have enough detail. Just no information available. Could it be -again- that big international companies just aren't interested in the poor little Latin America? :P How come they make this kind of stuff for Mars - a place none of us has ever visited and most probably never will- and not for one of the most crowded cities in the World! :P

It's incredible just how far technology has got, but it's also incredible that when you use Google maps trying to see many places in Mexico City you don't have enough detail. Just no information available. Could it be -again- that big international companies just aren't interested in the poor little Latin America? :P How come they make this kind of stuff for Mars - a place none of us has ever visited and most probably never will- and not for one of the most crowded cities in the World! :D

LOL your going here somewhere because this is very true i tried finding the place where my grandma lives in tj i found nothing just blurry images i prefer just visiting and taking pictures but im hoping google fixes this negative thing about them.

Yes, lots of places have only blurry images, that's because they are not so popular I believe. But some even less popular have better view! I think Google Earth will never be that good. All the images we see were taken somewhere around 2000-2004, and they are so old. By the way, I think that the title should be Google Earth 5.0, instead of Google 5.0, because people are getting the wrong picture.

Yes, lots of places have only blurry images, that's because they are not so popular I believe. But some even less popular have better view! I think Google Earth will never be that good. All the images we see were taken somewhere around 2000-2004, and they are so old. By the way, I think that the title should be Google Earth 5.0, instead of Google 5.0, because people are getting the wrong picture.

defenately but hey attracts people to read this forum don't it?

it deserves for Google to get better at things they are bad at.

sadly ill just leave the name like this.

and yea hopefully google earth will get better in the future

Edited by Veradesigns (see edit history)

Updating my GE as I type, Will be fun to look at but and I don't mean this to sound as a downer, but I think Google should update the earth a little more, than to show mars or anything that we really can not go to in real. To me that's just a fantasy land. What I feel google should do would be to update there Earth shots more offen, even on there free version that they have. Would be nice seeing something like say Galviston Texas Before During and After Hurricane Ike. Or being able to say to zoom into your house one day and then say a day or 2 later being able to do the same thing,and see a change such as your car has moved or someone standing in the yard.

Maybe they will get a bit better, but if they allow more zoom than it is now, there are going to be some serious consequences for them as a company. They are gonna have to face with hundreds of legal charges from people with the subject 'privacy', and they are gonna lose A LOT of them. That way they will lose millions. There were charges against Google, some military base was complaining that enemies could off see where all the guards are and all, so 'Google' removed the images from the base.

i know i never did knew Microsoft owned Google no way!!impossible Google will never sell its company never, they are doing such an astounding job if Microsoft bought it it would go to the bottomless pit like yahoo did.

Wow that is incredible it makes me wonder if Google gets some sort of funding from the government or NASA to put this satellites out there so that we can see the images that it brings back. It is amazing what our technology can do.

Well they did buy it but now I think another company has bought it back to save it! Anything Microsoft buys goes down hill very quick like Vista :D Who they bought off another company (This is ment to be secret by the way) and they have tweaked it so much that's its rubbish in performance!