xisto Community
lonebyrd

Wamp Help I just cant figure out whats wrong

I have installed the latest version of Wamp but I cant figure out how to use it. I made a folder called 'hello' in the www folder. I went to wordpad and made the small little 'echo hello' script. I go to http/localhost/hello.php and nothing. Am I doing something wrong. Do I need a special program to make php scripts so the extension is .php? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, you have the WAMP installed, but you also need to Start the Server.

I use XAMPP, not WAMP, but I'm sure that the Server needs to be started.

Some Operating Systems can be configured to start the Server on OS startup, but I am running Linux, and can not remember the procedure for setting that up in Windows.

Also, if the file hello.php is inside a folder named hello, the Access to that would become

Notice the folder name 'hello' in there...

i started the service but i needed to use a thing called Crimson Editor to get the .php extension. I was also pointing it to a folder in www directory so I put it just straight into the www directory. now when i go to LOCALHOST/test.php it worked. (test was the name i gave the script)

i started the service but i needed to use a thing called Crimson Editor to get the .php extension. I was also pointing it to a folder in www directory so I put it just straight into the www directory. now when i go to LOCALHOST/test.php it worked. (test was the name i gave the script)

No need to use an 3rd party editor just to get the .php extension. Normal note pad can do this. When saving the php file in notepad just add the extension .php to the file name and also select Save As Type as All Files. Now your file will be saved as php file. But third party editors like Crimson Editor has some cool features like Syntax highlighting, coloring etc...which are attractive and very helpful.

The www folder is the root folder for your website documents. If you create another folder like hello in that www folder and try to running php files in that folder you must point your browser to LOCALHOST/hello/filename.php Thats it..... very simple.....

Yep xpress is right you don't need to use any 3rd party app..........you know what localhost is the address of the www folder... and if you want to run a service which is inside the a folder in the www folder then you have to mention the following details in the address barlocalhost/example/example.phpor if there is the default index.php present as a homepage filethenlocalhost/examplewhere example is the name of folder in which you have your project save