xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Baniboy

Xp Screwed Up, Help!

The other dekstop computer in our house has gone MAD.When I turn it on, it starts normally, but just when I get to the part to sign in (just before the blue screen coming up) it restarts.It has happened probably a million times now, I can't switch it on. I don't want to reinstall 'cause of all the family photos in that peace of junk...Is there any way of booting it from a disk and then I could move the files on the hdd to a memory stick or a cd/dvd?Any other solutions?WARNING: If I see anyone here saying "you'll have to just reinstall" I'll RIP YOUR HEAD OF! That is out of the question. I tried booting from a ubuntu live-cd to just try to access the HDD to move the files from there, but apparently the stupid disc can't access the HDD!Umm... sorry I'm not in a good mood, some help would be appreciated.

If your other computer is a desktop, put the HDD from the screwed up computer in it and transfer the files that way. That is the most sure fire way that everything will go smoothly. You could also get an HDD dock http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. That would mount it as an external HDD through USB, then transfer the files to another hard drive on your other computer.

Nope, my other computer is a laptop.I really wouldn't like to pay for that dock, it wouldn't work anyway since I can't turn junkbox on without it rebooting...Is there any bootable CD that can be used to back up the files?I'm currently considering of installing linux on the recovery partition. but then I would lose the recovery!The only option now seems to be what I said. Install linux on the recovery, move the windows partition photos into the dvd and install linux on everything... I'm soo helpless... I'm open to more suggestions!

The other dekstop computer in our house has gone MAD.
When I turn it on, it starts normally, but just when I get to the part to sign in (just before the blue screen coming up) it restarts.
It has happened probably a million times now, I can't switch it on. I don't want to reinstall 'cause of all the family photos in that peace of junk...

Is there any way of booting it from a disk and then I could move the files on the hdd to a memory stick or a cd/dvd?
Any other solutions?

WARNING: If I see anyone here saying "you'll have to just reinstall" I'll RIP YOUR HEAD OF! That is out of the question. I tried booting from a ubuntu live-cd to just try to access the HDD to move the files from there, but apparently the stupid disc can't access the HDD!

Umm... sorry I'm not in a good mood, some help would be appreciated.

did you try and start it in safe mode? also and it sounds as maybe you did not make a system start up disk. It sounds to me as something is is not loading right. Or you picked up a nasty little bugger someplace. there is a virus out there and I forget the name of it but it will make your pc do as it sounds as yours is doing. Now I will go and run for my life because you just may have to reinstall. that or get another ADD and take the old one to someone that can recover your data. sorry bro

It seems the problem is with OS (windows) and not the hardware, since you told that Ubuntu was loading but couldn't recognize the HDD format. Try Puppy Linux, I've used it and was able to access all the partitions. But if you have NTFS formatted HDD then there might be some problems to backup up the data. You can have a look here for more info.

You can also try NTFS clone. NTFS Clone Download.

To avoid these unavoidable crashes in future, you can always have two windows installations in two drives. Also you can have a backup of the C:\ on another drive. So when C:\ drive screws up just login using other installation and restore the files in C:\.

Edited by pasten (see edit history)

If you do have an install disc, insert it and run the Repair Tools. When the XP installer thing comes up it is like one of the first thing that shows up in the loading bar. It displays it right at the bottom of the screen and it will instruct you to press one of the F keys to start it. Do that, then have it repair Windows. That should fix it if it is an OS problem.

I would start with safe mode and see if you can get in that way, since it seems to be a boot/memory problem and see if you can access the account that way, if not try repairing as mentioned above and see if that will fix any problems you might be causing the computer. Now if your computer doesn't get repaired to let you get into the account then sad to say you have to reinstall the computer unless you go to a computer shop and see if they can fix it.

I just remembered - When installing a new operating system, at least in Vista and Windows 7, all old Windows files go to a Windows.old folder if you choose fresh install. Another option is to just upgrade from your current install and it will keep your files. Now you may be thinking "Why would I pay that much to save my files?" You don't have to. Get Windows 7 for free from Microsoft's website. The free beta program is on for just under 2 weeks longer. This might be your best option if you want it done very simply.

If the Linux LiveCD doesn't mount the hard drive automatically, you can mount it manually. The basic NTFS support in Linux only allows you to read the files, which is enough for you to recover the files you deem important. Since the file system is NTFS, the process to getting such a partition mounted requires editing the fstab file. This is normally done by the installer, providing all the permissions needed for accessing such a file system. Just find a tutorial that works: search:mount ntfs ubuntu

I would start with safe mode and see if you can get in that way, since it seems to be a boot/memory problem and see if you can access the account that way, if not try repairing as mentioned above and see if that will fix any problems you might be causing the computer. Now if your computer doesn't get repaired to let you get into the account then sad to say you have to reinstall the computer unless you go to a computer shop and see if they can fix it.

Thank you S_M, as I said before Safe mode is your very best bet. Check and see also if anything out of the ordernary (think I spelled it wrong) loads Still have a funny filling you got a bugger.

I have run into this problem more times than not... and 9 times out of 10 if is due to a bad memory module. If you can try swapping the memory in the bad computer with memory from the good computer you will immediately know if that is your problem. If that does not fix it I would move onto the HDD and run a sector scan on it, it is possible if the right sector is bad it will cause a reboot if it affects the kernel is a specific way. But your best bet is to start with the memory because that is the cheapest solution.

If the Linux LiveCD doesn't mount the hard drive automatically, you can mount it manually. The basic NTFS support in Linux only allows you to read the files, which is enough for you to recover the files you deem important. Since the file system is NTFS, the process to getting such a partition mounted requires editing the fstab file. This is normally done by the installer, providing all the permissions needed for accessing such a file system. Just find a tutorial that works: search:mount ntfs ubuntu

In my laptop, I have ubuntu and vista, and the usage of other partitions work well, but I can't use that on liveCD. It says: "unable to mount partition".
That's why I'm considering installing ubuntu so I can access the files.

Anyone here knows a linux distribution that needs only about 4 gigs of space? That's the size of my recovery partition, I think.
I'm currently considering of installing ubuntu over my recovery partition, I would lose the partition but after I have every photo secured I could just reinstall xp.
Another problem about reinstalling...
Is there anyway that microsoft gives you a xp product key if you already have the product? Like, you have the installation cd but it asks for product key?
Since my dekstop came xp preinstalled I didn't get any cd, but my friend has one. Or I could download one...

I also tried every mode of booting, safe mode, safe mode and the command thingy etc. Even normal mode.
I agree with you echo, this must be some kind of virus. It's just that I can't scan for them when I can even log in...

Anyone here knows a linux distribution that needs only about 4 gigs of space?

That would be any distribution that its ISO image can fit on an average 700mb CD. Such distributions take up about 2gigs; any bigger and they would require a DVD instead.