xisto Community
ragav.bpl

I Can't Install Large Files From Cd/dvd Files such as games

I seem to be having trouble copying large files from my dvd drive. I tried to install BattleField 2142 and it kept throwing an error, telling me the media was bad. Then I tried copying some files off a data cd that I'd burned a while back. CRC error. I cleaned the dvd then it ran quite comfortably for some time then again its the same. Then I tried to install BattleField again, and it failed.Well, DVD burners are cheap. I ran out and bought a new drive. Same error. I just tried installing NFS Carbon, to check if the BF 2142 disc was bad or something. No luck there either.Clearly it's not the drive or the discs. I think it's pretty unlikely that it's controller, since the old drive was PATA, and the new one is SATA, and they both have the same problem. So it's either something funky in the OS or maybe... bad ram? I haven't noticed any other problems that make me think bad ram. Everything runs stable, I've installed lots of other things from DVD since I built this system, and the problem only seems to have started in the last month or so. System:Intel board 2 gigs ram(2 slots) Windows XP (a fairly fresh install, too. I think I started everything over in July) Any ideas?

dvd drive stops responding when copying lot of files or large filesI Can't Install Large Files From Cd/dvdI have the same problem with win xp and ide dvd drive. My drive has worked fine until recently.Now whenever I try to install something or copy files to my hdd off the dvd the drive stops responding after a few seconds. The activity light stays lit but eventually I will get an error message saying to put a disk in the drive. If I look at the drive in file explorer it no longer shows a disk in the drive either.This happens if I try to install or copy large files and also if I try to install or copy many smaller files. It will copy only a few small files ok. It is not the disk as it does it with any disk I have. For instance now I cant install fairly old software that I want back on my pc again like adobe cs3 or diablo2 because they have large files that must be copied and it fails.I would buy another cheap dvd drive but I don't think the drive is the problem. Are there settings for how the dvd drive reads data that maybe got messed up? Could a virus do this? I have Norton 360 up to date and have had no reports of any virus.-reply by Jacob