xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
phoenixinno

Windows Live Messenger 2009

The new Windows Live Messenger is an amazing new product from Microsoft. A huge improvement on the previous version.It boasts several new feature which I cannot see how I did without.A new groups feature that allows users to create a continuous group conversation between select contacts, newly redesigned and more easily identifiable status icons which now resemble small gems rather than the previous "Messenger Buddy" icons, a new default "Favorites" category in which you can place your favorite contacts for easy access to them, a new Photo Sharing utility that allows contacts to quickly and easily browse photos together, and a "What's New" section at the bottom of the contact list to outline recent contact updates. Display pictures have been moved over to the left side of conversation windows, and new colorful borders appear around display pictures to display the current status of that contact. Never new I needed it until I got it.The new scenes are great. You can select from a gallery or uplaod you own image an customize they appearncce of messenger to suit you. Whats more is that othe users when chattign with you can see you prersonal scene. The layout is also greatly improved. It can be set to show display pictures along with contacts. Another genius feature!There have been a few removals from MSN 8.5. Firstly the statuses such as Out to lunch, On the phone, etc have been removed. I really dont mind this as I find them unecessary. Sharing fodler have also been removed, this also doesn't make much difference to me. However it has been replaced with an option to upload files online to share on Windows SkydriveA few more games have been added and now you can watch MSN Videos with a friend from within a messenger video!!! Really useful where sharing videos no longer any need to post url links. For me I also find the new MSN is much faster than the old one. Or maybe that's just me. Anyways I know this is a version that I love. What does everyoen else think?

I haven't reviewed this section for in my review of the Live Suite, do you mind if I quote you and add it into there, I just need a out of 10 rating, for the review if you want me to add it. I've only used it for a bit, but it seemed pretty good. I like the options you get and its a lot simpler than the other IM Services. I love the interface so far, its sleek and the ability to change your name with a couple of simple to install mods, you have the version you love. Its good, but the only problems is that doesn't give all options in the program itself. It forces me to go to my account and edit things like name, and other information. I also don't like that it doesn't integrate with Live Mail very well, unlike Aim, which messages you with a new email, and gives a nice feed.

I don't like upgrading windows live messenger, and here's why: Every time I do, it loads slower! Sometimes it even doesn't works. And plus-there's almost nothing new in every new version. So I only want to have offline messaging(which isn't allowed in the 'oldest' version), and want to see if I get any emails.

I actually like the new MSN messenger. I like the idea of the Favorites and I use that a lot. I also like the ability to show Display Pictures in the Contact List. I haven't tried the Photo IM yet, but I plan to soon. The way IMs are ordered and displayed is also a plus. It makes it show more IMs at once, which I like. The new interface is also nice.

Please get rid of Photo ShareWindows Live Messenger 2009

Photo Share is an horrible nightmare. You can't disable it and now every time someone sends me a print screen I can't see it at full resolution. If They send me a sequence of screen shots, and I try to save them, all of them get saved with the same name, leaving me with only the last picture.

If they want to keep this feature, they should fix it: - zoom in place (at least 1:1 zoom) - Save all files at once (giving proper names to each file)

Keywords:

Photo ShareWindows Live Messenger 2009Where is this new photo sharing utility?If it is the one I found it doesnt work properly at all!I liked the shared folder and never had any problems with it, but this new online photo share only seems to upload about 6 pictures to it, and then the rest all come up with internal server errors.Any ideas how to remove the new version of messanger and put the old one back on so I can use shared folders again as this was the only thing I ever really used. 

-reply by Steven

Windows Live Messenger 2009Windows Live Messenger 2009I've used the latest version of WLM. I did like it...BUT (and this IS a BIG BUT)...I do NOT appreciate all of the extra baggage that is included with the messenger program. The basic exe file is 25mb large ..BUT to install just messenger you'll be saddled with over 140mb of the extra junk that goes with the install(Photo Gallery for instance AUTO installs, you can't stop it). Also, if you haven't noticed, with 2009 messenger you'll see a cache file sitting in the programs folder in Windows Live that just sits there, over 300mb large with the single exe files for ALL of the garbage that downloads and install along with messenger. If one could just install messenger all by itself then I would happily come back to it, but it seems the Bill Gates won't let you do that. But for now I've gone back to 8.5 and its small footprint of some 19mb and its quite efficient enough for me. Thx for 2009 but no thanks.-reply by 55trucker

Awww, I don't use WLM 2009 as I'm not on Windows® but I wouldn't use it even if I was IMHO, because:

Is full of bloated junk you won't use (like almost every third or second Microsoft product is)

It will hog your computer unnecesarilly if you have lower RAM

Is full of ads that I can't stand all over in it (lucky that a product like AdMuncher exists to block them :P)

If I ever install Windows, the only MSN messenger program I'll use will be either Emesene or Pidgin

Neither of my friends like it, they just stay with the good ol' 8.5 which serves them nicely and they don't complain about it.

I hate Windows Live Messenger because it really does bog down your PC...If you have a lot of ram you won't notice it a lot but otherwise you will.I find Trillian to be much better. It's more feature-packed(with many other IM's built in), looks great, takes up less ram, and has a smaller installation.I still don't get why people use WLM/AIM/Yahoo instead of going with the banner-less, advertisement-less Trillian.

I was never a fan of windows products to being with. Windows Live messenger is buggy. and there are plenty of hacks that you can use to get rid of it. Besides, if you're on RAM 256MB then you'll notice the decrease in speed of your system. If you're in search of Messenger alternative then some of the options are : Digsby, Meebo, Ebuddy, Trutapp, Nimbuzz, Trilian etc. Choose any one out of this.I'm not sure if Live mail allows this or not but Gmail/Yahoo mail allows chat service from within email interface. besides gmail came up with video support few days ago. so if you wish to stay with better service then you can go with gmail/yahpp/aol instead of Live messenger/Live Online mail service.

Photo SharingWindows Live Messenger 2009

Please, I want to turn off this photo sharing stupidness that happens every time I try to drag-and-drop file transfer. When you are trying to send image files of your work, and screencaps, its annoying to hae to go Files>Send a file or Photo, and then browse for it every single time. It doesnt keep a history of where I was last, so every time I have to browse form My Documents, through many many folders, just to get to the file.please give us an option to turn this off. Feel privelleged that some people use this program to do real work, and stop screwing us around. 

-reply by Tash

I don't like it either, because of it's massive RAM leaks, and it's annoying advertising. I can get by it with user created hacks that can get rid of the extras, like ads, unwanted links, and heaps of other stuff. But I'm not sure if I should say the name of the program. Anyway I still use it, cause I can never get used to other programs, and none of my friends use it, just MSN. So thats why I always use it, with the hack.

save other usersWindows Live Messenger 2009

I remember there was a hack allowing you to display and save real size DP of your buddys in the list, in a old verision of MSN, could it be possible with Live Messenger Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8064.206)

-reply by the dudeKeywords: hacks viewing display photos messenger