xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Digitalidad

Best 3d Modeling And Rendering Software Whats the best 3D design software out there?

Hi there! I wish you can help me to know what's the best 3D modeling and rendering software(s). I used Bryce first. It renders great but it's mainly for landscapes. It's very hard to model something with only basic shapes and complicated booleans (you can't make a boolean operation on a group of objects that already had a previous boolean operation), you can't export most things (only rocks I think), etc. Then I tried 3D Studio Max 2.5. Way too complicated for me then! Huge program but not easy to learn. I just D/L a trial of version 9 but haven't used it yet.I used Hexagon too, quite flexible for modelling but too buggy sometimes. It crashes frequently :P and it's got no rendering capabilities.I tried Carrara 6 but I think it was cumbersome for modelling - and actually quite good at rendering, that's why many use it to render Hexagon models.So... What's your experience? What do you recommend?

From what I've heard and seen, it looks like Cinema 4 Design R10 was the best, now that R11 is out, people are scrambling to get it. Its pretty easy to learn and there are a lot of tutorials for that program. Its really on the high-end side, to compare that program in 3D modeling, its like Photoshop and Illustrator combined with more features. The learning curve is sweet, and you can export everything out of there, along with animating, the rendering speed is improved a lot in R11. If you like modeling to take to a professional level, I would say Maya, if you have experience with CAD Software. Its for people who are into real modeling.

Swift 3D is a personal favourite. You said that 3D studio Max was too complicated. I therefore advise you to use swift 3d. It is very easy to use with an amazing interface. It is verypowerful and you can create advanced mdoels and animations. A greeat thign is that you can render 3d animations and export them as flash files.

It also has PaperVision 3D support

Its really easy to use
You just click and drag from a toolbox certain shapes and you are free to edit them with no restrictions. You can edit the mesh of a shapes and transofmr it in a variety of ways. Swift 3D also features and extrusion ediotr and a lathe ediot. Both these are really useful.

Creating animations is also very simple, just like flash but 3D. Yuu have keyframes, motion easing, rotation and anything you want. You can create different lighting schemes and create cameras which you can roate during an animation. You can import and export in mostly all formats.

It is a great programm with excellent output qualitites. It features a drag and drop gallery of high quality texture such as wood, glass, metals, and hundreds of other tpyes. You can import 3ds files with textures or just add you own textures.

Take a look at the site : Swift 3D

Try using Blender - Its free

https://www.blender.org/

I think its one of the lightest 3d modelling software available.

Even I tried 3D Max and found it to be complicated. But If you spend some time with it, you'll start to like it. Although I like 3DS Max but since its not free and I can't afford it, I'll suggest you try Blender.

I even tried Maya but it needs a designing capable graphics card to work efficiently like quadro FX. And I think they were even giving away some free Student editions for their latest release but it was way to big over a GB for installation.

btw.. out of all above Maya would produce some real professional results since it gives you more control over everything

Try using Blender - Its free

https://www.blender.org/

I think its one of the lightest 3d modelling software available.

Even I tried 3D Max and found it to be complicated. But If you spend some time with it, you'll start to like it. Although I like 3DS Max but since its not free and I can't afford it, I'll suggest you try Blender.

I even tried Maya but it needs a designing capable graphics card to work efficiently like quadro FX. And I think they were even giving away some free Student editions for their latest release but it was way to big over a GB for installation.

btw.. out of all above Maya would produce some real professional results since it gives you more control over everything

I had read about Bender but I didn't know it was free! :P I'll give it a try!

BTW, I used 3DSMax at work and it was quite good, very fast and easy to use. This new version is much better than ver 2.5, the one I tried years ago. I found it very good indeed. It makes me think that that's the reason why it's so expensive. They really put a lot of work into optimizing it. The only bad thing about it is the enormous price tag! 

If price wasn't an issue which one would you pick?

I had read about Bender but I didn't know it was free! :P I'll give it a try!

BTW, I used 3DSMax at work and it was quite good, very fast and easy to use. This new version is much better than ver 2.5, the one I tried years ago. I found it very good indeed. It makes me think that that's the reason why it's so expensive. They really put a lot of work into optimizing it. The only bad thing about it is the enormous price tag!

If price wasn't an issue which one would you pick?

I've used 3DS Max since version 4 so i'm used to it now, I use VRay rendering and it looks amazing. My friends that have just started 3D at uni think that Maya is better so I think it is a case of what works for you really. I tried blender once and it just didnt make sense, I plan to try it again soon since it is free and people are making some very impressive stuff with it these days... Incidentally what do you want to use 3D for? Since zbrush is amazing for organic high detail models, and solidworks is the industry standard for building anything up to luxury yachts...

I've used 3DS Max since version 4 so i'm used to it now, I use VRay rendering and it looks amazing. My friends that have just started 3D at uni think that Maya is better so I think it is a case of what works for you really. I tried blender once and it just didnt make sense, I plan to try it again soon since it is free and people are making some very impressive stuff with it these days... Incidentally what do you want to use 3D for? Since zbrush is amazing for organic high detail models, and solidworks is the industry standard for building anything up to luxury yachts...

That's a good question. I love cars and planes, so most probably I'll start with that but I'd also like to make cartoonish characters for a project I've got. The best would be to have a program that is great for both organic and non-organic models. :P ? BTW, I wrote "Bender" and it's "Blender". I must have been thinking about Futurama XD Sorry for that!

Maya, Blender and Max are the best all rounders I think, just see what works for you (and your budget)!

okkkit was gr8 disscussion and also it helped me alot and can any1 tell me the website from which i can download sotwares for freeplz mail me or message me.....thankyou very much

Anim8or - free lightweight 3d modeling programBest 3d Modeling And Rendering Software

I've heard of one called Anim8or, only 1 megabyte in size and very powerful.

-reply by Anim8or

No matter what you do, I vote for trying Blender. It's amazing what this open source software can do.-reply by Faraday Cage

same here.. blender3d is good, it already has been used to make popular motion films.. spiderman to name one.3ds max is one of the most solid out there. but i also like cinema4d.

noob modeler/programmerBest 3d Modeling And Rendering Software

Hello m8. First off a lil background of myself, I took a class learning the basics of Maya, and just recently started using 3ds max. In my oppinion, Maya is a bunch of headaches you don't need untill you are very familiar with a less intense program. When I started using 3ds Max it was soooo simple, theres a few things that need a little learning but once you figure it out, its freakin cake man. Also I don't know if you are into World of warcraft, but if you are then I have a great way for you to get into 3ds max. If WoW interests you, then I think you would very well enjoy loading World of warcraft characters into 3ds max, rigging them, and making animations with them haha its quite funny to see the hardcore bosses doing ballet or the chicken dance hahah. But anyways Theres a guy on youtube that is awesome, and has a bunch of bad *bottom* tutorials. Here is the link to his youtube channel "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;.

But basically all you have to do to load the World of warcraft characters into 3ds max is:

1.)Have WoW installed     2.) download WoW_Model_Viewer(Free) 3.) Export the model from Wow_model_viewer to a Milkshape 3d file(The only option)  4.) Load into Milkshape 3d and Export as Autodesk 3ds 4.)  import into 3ds max 5.) The textures are given to you when you save from WoW_model_viewer

Quick tip about the textures: If when you render and the textures come out with a light color to them than the original, then go into the materials editor (M) and look for 3 options under the section Alpha source: click None(opaque). This will get rid of the light color and make the textures come back to life. 

You can follow that guys tutorials on youtube for more detailed info, and info on how to Rig the characters, apply the textures, and start making animations.

Ohh and also, I really do now think that 3ds max is really really easy to learn, even making a Rigged character do a Ragdoll is freakin easy, if you just pay attention and follow that guys tutorials I guarantee that you will learn the essentials of the program really fast. Also Using WoW character models also makes it a ton more exciting and interesting, at least for me it does, and I don't even play the game anymore.

BTW, Blizzard does support Machinima, and in fact they encourage it, But only under these terms: "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;

As for obtaining the programs:

I don't know if this site is anti - Warez or watever, and I really don't care either but seriously if you just use the programs for educational purposes and don't sell any of your works I really do not see any harm, and once you do finally have a job because of your excellent modelling skills, then you can finally afford to buy the program, in that essence Torrents are really just really freakin good advertizements, if you truley do enjoy the programs then go buy them.

-reply by 3d_Modeler

I'm so surprised that every time I see the debate of what software is the "easiest" to use/learn I rarely see the program Lightwave!  I've tried 3D Max, Maya, Blender...Lightwave is the only one that makes sense!  Its liek comparing a PC to a MAC  these days..I can easily say that  3D Max, Maya, Blender represent the PC and Lightwave is a MAC in the 3d world.  A lot of people are jumping on the MAC side simply because it makes sense..And operates with your thaughts for the most part.  Try Lightwave.

-reply by AllLeafs

Just do it.... ;)Best 3d Modeling And Rendering SoftwareI personally think you've got to be honest with yourself, do you have the ability to learn any of this software, the problem is when you start out on any of these 3D programs you have to devote time to tutorials maybe evan buying a reference book from your local book store, its basically like learning another language, so this is a skill that you'll have to practice all the time to keep you up to scratch. That said, if you devote enogh time and surround yourself with that software and tutorials, you should be able to learn any of these programs, the problem is when you learn say an average 3D program, you devote all your time, and then want to do more, that means having to learn another program, because your not happy with the one you've been using, why not make a decision now and go all out on that software and get to know it from back to front, I've recently decided to do this myself after being interested in 3D for 10 yrs or so, life, debt, and work caused me to not follow my dream so to speak, back when I first learnt it, I was using bryce 2, poser 2, and Raydream Studio 5, I got to know Raydream from back to front, but soon realised that this software that I'd purchased was rather weak compared to 3D studio Max 2, witch was around at the time, I soon become peeved that I put all this effort into learning Raydream, when really it was not the industry standard, so my interest wained... And life etc... Kicked in, meanwhile at the moment I've got my hands on a demo of maya 2010 for my Mac, a detailed reference book from my local book shop, and am devoting my time to this marvelous bit of software, If I get good, then I'll purchase a license like a good boy, untill then I'm doing the same thing and surrounding myself with tuts etc..., so far so good !!, My lil brother completed a course in graphic design and he's a fan of 3D Studio Max, and it seems to be widely used !, though someone correct me, but I thought Max is widely used in game design, whereas Maya, is aimed at more the cinema experience ?, in many ways there are similaritys between the two, not hard to imagine since there both an autodesk product, but here's my question to someone here, where does autodesks "softimage fit into all of this ??, Thx in advance Nick !-reply by Nick