xisto Community
chakri

If You Get A Collections Call Whom Do You Deal With?

Say you get a collections call from some collections agency about a debt you don't owe. Whom should you work with to get the issue resolved. Is it the original person who claims that you owe them something OR is it the collections agent. Once something is out on collections, can the person who claims you owe him money cancel his deal with collections if he realizes his mistake?Thanks for anyone who can provide the answer. I am looking online for fourms and stuff but did not find anything concrete.

Thats a very good question, I think first you would go to the collection agency an have them verify the debt, if you never had the debt to begin with, they would not be able to verify it and therefore they would be unable to collect on it, if there was some sort of error, etc. However if they were able to verify it you would go to the original company and have them investigate it, for the possibility of fraud and identity theft. I would think

I would contact the Collections Agency instead of the Agent. Often it could be a telemarketer, and the Remote Calls aren't always real. You should always verify first, and if there is a code/number or a link use that and talk to the original owners, or the company itself, then talk to the agent via the Collections Company, through their number or site. Its usually better also to talk to a bank, about why you have gotten that problem, if you think there is a problem.

It is normally required that they produce some sort of proof of the debt, like an invoice you haven't paid or something. Without that, they can't really go after the debt. If they produce 'proof' of the debt, but you spot a mistake, or that it was actually paid, then present your proof to them. This is why it is important to get receipts and proof of payment. I think they would find it very hard to argue when presented with proof that the amount was paid. If they still carried on then I'd get the police involved. I imagine the collection agency would very quickly realise there was "a mistake"...

I get the information from the debt collection agency and make sure I know who the debt was originally from. Then from there I contact the person from where the debt is supposedly from. They will verify everything. I've had this happen before. Also, when you first get a letter from a debt collection agency, they will ask you if you want to dispute the debt if you don't think it is correct. That is another way to go about it.

Thank you folks for your answers. I did some more research and I found out that it can be any of the following1) The owner of the debt is hiring somoeone for collections2) The collections folks already have purchased the debt in that case, the owner has no say in the collections process.In my case it was a payment I made to my apartment complex during moveout. I send the info (check copy) to the collections folks and now I am awaiting for their answer. These situations can be very confusing. Especially when you get a call right in middle of work. You tend to loose your focus for a couple of hours.. You keep wondering what might be happening.

I know it's time consuming,but the ultimate act would be to fight them in court ifthe debt has allready been paid.If you think they are unduly harrassing you sue themfor damages.Of course you have proof that you don't owe them anything. Best of luck.