xisto Community
anonymous1

Downloading From Canada

I currently live in Canada, and so, it doesn't seem like downloading music from websites such as rapidshare or megaupload is illegal. But do you guys know if I happen to download music that isn't by Canadian artists, and the site isn't Canadian, is this still legal? Sorry for the stupid question.Thanks

I am in Canada, too, and it is still illegal to download music, whether it is Canadian, or not, from a Server in Canada, or not.Unless you pay the freight by buying the CD, it is not legal to download music, AFAIK.

It doesn't make any difference.Copyright law isstill copyright law and what is illegal stays that way.On a somewhat related note,I tried viewing videos on a few sites only toget a message that these videos were viewable only in the u.s. The download website would set up they're own deal, ofwhich the details,only they would fully know.

I am in Canada, too, and it is still illegal to download music, whether it is Canadian, or not, from a Server in Canada, or not.Unless you pay the freight by buying the CD, it is not legal to download music, AFAIK.

JL is wright. Reason is all these artists had not getting the royalties from the music download. Now you have to pay to download most music, to not only pay the royalty fees but to help pay for servers and storage. There are still some music around that is royalty free but very hard to find, and chances are that they have been edited and redubbed.

DownloadingDownloading From Canada

I know you have given all the law websites about downloading movies.

I have read them,   I understand that in 2004 it was said it is legal to download music for personal use, but illegal to upload music.   As of 2007, the RCMP is not willing to track down all the people who upload and or download.  They don't have the time or the money to do that.

I just got an email from my internet provider that there has been a copyright complaint track through my IP address, I was downloading, but didn't know I was uploading too, it turns out that seeding is uploading.  That is where their complaint lays. I got the letter 5 days ago. But I got another one today that says I am only allowed to download 60 gigs a month.

My point is that my internet provider done not have a thing in place to tell me when I have exceeded my download limit. They would need filters and its very costly.

I have only been downloading for the last three months, but I am never downloading again, my concern is that I will be made an example of.  I was over my limit by 40 gigs for 2 months 

I can't be the worst offender they have.  Lots and lots of Canadian are downloading.

-reply by em123

Canadian Copyright LawsDownloading From Canada

A couple of years ago, when the Canadian government placed a tarriff on all recordable media like CD-Rs, blank video tape, cassettes, etc. I decided to research the Canadian laws so unless they have changed recently here is the Canadian law:

It is legal to make copyright material available in it's original form. That said, if I have the newest CD of the top band I can legally lend it to my friend. My friend can legally make a copy of the CD while in his/her possession. What is illegal is for me to make a copy and then give the copy to my friend whether it is free or not. It is also legal to upload a copy of an original CD to an internet site and for others to download that CD.

This is the reason why there has been so much debate recently in Canada about the our copyright laws. The MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) and the American Music industry have been pushing the Canadian government into changing our laws to fit them.

Recently, there was a bittorent site in the US that was shut down by the MPAA's lawyers so they packed up their servers, moved to Montreal and set-up business and by the Canadian laws they are fully legal.

Once again, this could have changed recently, but I don't think so as there was too much outcry from the public and the politician want to be re-elected.

Randy

-reply by Randy