xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
abhigyan

Security Policy In Your Orgnization do you fallow it?

I Don?t know whether it is right place to post this topic or not but I didn?t found any place batter.Today afternoon we attended a security awareness session in my company where most of the people were feeling vary sleepy and the person in front of us who was giving presentation was vary boring we saw a vary boring 30 minutes movie where main actress was vary irritating then they told us that why security is important why we should stop tailgating (piggybacking) why we should stop sharing the password inside the team and why we should not used unlicensed and free version software inside the company and so many things but I know no one obeys these inside company I don?t mean that every one is breaking rules(every rule) but yah most of the people are rule breaker even the person who was giving presentation was breaking the rule as it is against to the companies polity to take picture or making video inside the company and the movie shown by those people was made inside the company .I think it is impossible to obey all the rules inside the company because it is vary tuff to deliver the deliverables on the time with obeying all the rules and being a software engineer I think it is much important to deliver the project on time rather than thinking and wasting times on such small things although if it is matter of data integrity or confidentiality on vary high level then we should not compromise but if it something inside the team then I think we all trust on our team mates. I can?t reveal the name of my company neither I expect from you people but if you work in any such organization then I will like to know your views on this topic.

I Dont know whether it is right place to post this topic or not but I didnt found any place batter.
Today afternoon we attended a security awareness session in my company where most of the people were feeling vary sleepy and the person in front of us who was giving presentation was vary boring we saw a vary boring 30 minutes movie where main actress was vary irritating then they told us that why security is important why we should stop tailgating (piggybacking) why we should stop sharing the password inside the team and why we should not used unlicensed and free version software inside the company and so many things but I know no one obeys these inside company I dont mean that every one is breaking rules(every rule) but yah most of the people are rule breaker even the person who was giving presentation was breaking the rule as it is against to the companies polity to take picture or making video inside the company and the movie shown by those people was made inside the company .I think it is impossible to obey all the rules inside the company because it is vary tuff to deliver the deliverables on the time with obeying all the rules and being a software engineer I think it is much important to deliver the project on time rather than thinking and wasting times on such small things although if it is matter of data integrity or confidentiality on vary high level then we should not compromise but if it something inside the team then I think we all trust on our team mates. I cant reveal the name of my company neither I expect from you people but if you work in any such organization then I will like to know your views on this topic.

I know how you feel. seen a few films like that myself. where I work and well live also is very secure. You have to know a code to get in and out of my work. same with my apartment. with how the world is now with all the terroriests, robberies killings and other things, you have to have these. Its not like back in the 1950's when you could leave your work or home door unlocked and it would be okay. now you try that and you will have your things stolen or you would be killed.

Good post, but unfortunately I have to go by the rules here.

At my work we must firstly swipe our card at the front door to unlock it and at the second door scan our finger to gain entry to the building. I know that this is annoying for most of us, when trying to reach our desk as quickly as possible before 9:00 strikes, after that rush hour traffic. Swiping the card lets the system know your in the building, so incase of a fire drill, security know exactly who is and isn't in the building. On reguards to the finger scan, this has benefits also. Because we have so many details of credit cards of customers on premises, only authorised staff are aloud into the building. I also know, for a fact, that this is a necessity for insurance reasons. Banks (maby its just Visa) wont alow you to use their service without these facilities. Honestly, I'm not sure if these rules are currently in place by all companys, but I do know that pretty soon companys wont have a choice.

When I sit at my computer, I need to log onto my system before I start my shift. This is because every detail that is changed on a customers account, aswell as every action I undertake, is monitered. If a problem occurs within the business, personal can highlight the employee who delt with this action, fast and efficiently. This saves the business time, money, and covers themselves if a problem gets out of hand.

In relation to the points you are more interested in, unlicenced software. This is most important for a company to control its employees from using this type software. Yes I understand that it is much easier and quicker for you to complete your projects by using downloaded software, but be very careful. The reason you have been briefed on this is so the company can hold you to your actions. If you get caught the company could get a hefty fine, which may result in jeopardizing your job with them.

Euro Car Parts, a retailer and distributor of car parts, and Prominent Pages, an internet media company, have paid ?7,500 and ?20,000 respectively for use of unlicensed software

http://www.out-law.com/page-2593

If your falling behind on your work, spend an average of a half hour per day using these types of software on your home computer. OK, I know your saying, Im not going home to do extra work, and not get paid for it. But in the long run you will benefit majorly from this. Two points off the top of my head. Firstly your employers will be happy your getting your work in on time and not using unlicenced software. Secondly, your insuring your job for yourself. In these hard financial times, don't give your employer any reasons to lay you off. :D

On the plus side, if all your collegues stick to the rules, that small bit of overtime will make you look better then them, hence you'll be top of the pile if promotion is lurking around the corner.

I'm stating facts here. Of course I dont know your suituation with your employees, whether they support your decisions or not. But as I said, dont give them any reason now days to kick you off the team you've worked hard to be on.

Hope I answered all your Q's :P