xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chakri

Online Collaboration Better Than Stand Alone Sites

I believe that collaboration between multiple smaller websites is better than the sites being by themselves. For instance, say you have a gardening website and there is another cooking website if both the websites are merged then the combined strength of the website will be much more. Google and other search engines will give it a higher ranking because the website has more content in it and the website is likely to be linked from more sources. The only issue can be "Who is the real domain owner". If people get beyond that, (possible at least in family and friends). Then the collective worth of the website will improve. May ad based websites advertise only in sites with higher traffic. So this might be helpful there too.

I believe that collaboration between multiple smaller websites is better than the sites being by themselves. For instance, say you have a gardening website and there is another cooking website if both the websites are merged then the combined strength of the website will be much more. Google and other search engines will give it a higher ranking because the website has more content in it and the website is likely to be linked from more sources. The only issue can be "Who is the real domain owner". If people get beyond that, (possible at least in family and friends). Then the collective worth of the website will improve.

May ad based websites advertise only in sites with higher traffic. So this might be helpful there too.

I think it doesnt matter that whether you have so many small sites or you have one big site and I dont think search engine have something like website rank they always run there algorithms on the page ranking so if you have so many small sites then interlink these sites and also interlink the pages of site with each other. create links of important pages on every page and if you have a single website then interlink pages with each other create important pages linking on every page. The only benefit that I can see from big site is that you dont need to pay for so many domain names. A good idea is creating sub domains.

I'm not sure about the merging thing... doesn't Google go more on relevance and popularity?So actually, if your site covers way too many topics, its relevance to any one search will go down.Eg, your website tags are: cookies, ponies, ducks, yellow, roller coasters, abraham lincoln.If someone searches for Abraham Lincoln, Google's going to put up the pages that are ONLY Abraham Lincoln first, because those ones will most likely be more relevant.Or so I've heard, from those silly little web marketing seminars.I think it is good practice to join link-lists and such though.