xisto Community
networker

Linux On Windows

I was wondering,what I'd like to do is have a mini linux operating sytem onmy windows c:/ drive. I've heard there are ones available.Not something that I have to install from disk,just something I can downloadand throw on my C:/ drive so I can learn Linux that way,before Iinevitably make the full switch to becoming a full Linux userand install the whole thing.Just a small size mini linux.Hopefully no more than a few gigabytes. Any answers?Does anybody know where I could download such a thing?

You can install Cygwin if you want, but the programs from there are usually out of date. Depending on how many packages you choose depends on how long it takes for it to download and install. I installed it once, picking practically every package just for the sake of having them. Took hours to download, likewise to install them. I was too new to the whole thing, so i couldn't get passed a blank X server. But if you configure it to work, that'll really teach you some things about Linux, especially if you recompile Linux through it.

Ubuntu 8.10 comes with wubi installer. You can install ubuntu in your windows OS. And I think this is the easiest way to install Linux in your windows. When you insert the ubuntu CD in your system it will show you a window which has an option to install inside window. Just click on it and follow the installation. Very easy. I think the minimum requirements are 256MB RAM and 5 GB hard drive space. Download ubuntu and try it yourself.

You can try Wubi installer here. Or you can get the wubi installer from within Ubuntu Disc.

Another alternative is to find VMware player and Ubuntu images on the internet. You can try linux from withing windows in VMWare player. There are some images of ubuntu on torrents or you can search on google for such seeders. Vmware player is free and available for download here.

@networking

You can install VMware Workstation.

VMware Workstation is a virtual machine software suite for x86 and x86-64 computers from VMware, a division of EMC Corporation. This software suite allows users to set up multiple x86 and x86-64 virtual computers and to use one or more of these virtual machines simultaneously with the hosting operating system.

You can put more OS with this software it is easy.

Read more on:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Happy NetWorking :P

All this help has been great. I've heard of Ubunti before.I'll probably give it a try soon.Just a little nervous. I was wondering.How is Linux at detecting virtual ram?My ram is only 256 mg right now but the virtual ram hasalways made up for it.I presume there should be no problem with Linux.

I was wondering.How is Linux at detecting virtual ram?My ram is only 256 mg right now but the virtual ram has
always made up for it.

I presume there should be no problem with Linux.

Linux requires that you set aside a separate partition for SWAP. It's not like Windows where it feeds off of your main drive (as much as it wants) unless otherwise stated. You pick the drive and how much of it it can take from it. With 256 mbs of RAM, i'd recommend at least 2gigs for SWAP.