xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
stopthewarm

How To Fast Your Ping. The most deadly problem faced by mmorpg players

WEll there are many ways to do so. But let me first tell you what is ping

PING

In a layman language it is like the time taken to get a signal back from a network . Kind of network.

But when shown in games it should be low. As low the points the better and the faster. You wouldn't lag.

Lag is the worst thing a gamer experiences. It is king of a delay where he freezes but the rest play on. Imagine how deadly during pk

Well some of the ways i know to reduce ping

1> Shut all programs like Limewire and bearshare

2>Pause all downloads

3>Stop all other internet activities like listening to music on the net

4>In you processes shut processes like google uploader etc

5>Decrease the resolution and play in SD

6> Best way shift your home to a place near the server :P:P

If you have other ways please share

WEll there are many ways to do so. But let me first tell you what is ping

PING

In a layman language it is like the time taken to get a signal back from a network . Kind of network.

But when shown in games it should be low. As low the points the better and the faster. You wouldn't lag.

Lag is the worst thing a gamer experiences. It is king of a delay where he freezes but the rest play on. Imagine how deadly during pk

Well some of the ways i know to reduce ping

1> Shut all programs like Limewire and bearshare

2>Pause all downloads

3>Stop all other internet activities like listening to music on the net

4>In you processes shut processes like google uploader etc

5>Decrease the resolution and play in SD

6> Best way shift your home to a place near the server :P:P

If you have other ways please share

This is the most stupid article so far in my knowledge which is supposed to provide some technical insight.

PING is a ool that is so common that these suggestions are only for the joke section. It does not fit in this category at all. I just feel laughing.

This post should be moved to the jokes and fun section.

None of your tips will affect a ping that much. I have been downloading at over 1 mb/s and still gotten less than 30ms pings. Additionally a ping does not affect game play. Your connection speed affects game play in online games. Your tip of decreasing resolution and playing SD really took the cake though. If your internet speed is affected by resolution, you need a new computer. They should be in connected in no way, shape, or form.

A single download doesn't affect ping that much... Multiple downloads do... So do uploads (infact , ESPECIALLY uploads)...Connection speed IS important, but it is irrelevant... I mean, most online games will still work with dialup... But they can't tolerate a high ping (usually 300ms+ would be considered high, though in 'knife' servers, 100ms might even be considered high)The best ways for you to reduce ping, WOULD be to move closer to the server... Get a faster connection, wire up your computer DIRECTLY to the modem, NOT the router... Never use wireless... And avoid sharing connections...Different games have different ways of dealing with lag as well... Some games have 'reverse lag' which basically 'freezes' and everything continues going forward on a straight waypoint and you're free to move around... Then you get reconnected to the server and everything suddenly goes 'backwards' within a few miliseconds and you're bach to where the disconnection started...Another common type is the 'freeze&error' When the game detects any anomolies, an error message pops up (usually, 'Connection Error' or 'Unable to establish connection to server') and the game freezes... Sometimes it might take a few seconds, others it'll take a few minutes, and sometimes the game will go bach to main menu and you have to join again...Lag can be very annoying on games, though I take advantage of it :P (On CounterStrike 1.6, I can sometimes kill people with guns even though the ammo counter doesn't decrease... :P

Your article is way off senseless and from what i can see you posted this up just to rack up your cents.Latency : a term to describe the rate of ping from transmitter to receiver.Ping : A readout with simple numbers to tell the user how far is he from the destination. The higher the ping is, the longer the route is.In gaming terms, Lag have two types, performance lag and connection lag. Performance lag is based on how fast is your FPS, the higher the better. Same with connection lag, but is based of ping reading. The lower the better.To improve connection latency is to stop any torrent downloads and turn off Live Messenger. IF you are on any third party IM client, then its fine as it have very low bandwidth usage. Tuning your connection can improve things, i wont go further on this as there is many ways to do such tuning.Hope many of these replies from me and others could give a clearer picture of the true definition about latency.

Lowering graphic levels is a way to stop lag. However there isn't much you can do about it. Avoid downloads, uploads, updaters, FIREWALL IS A BIG ONE (they slow everything down by processing it to check for viruses and other malware, which you shouldn't encounter in game anyway,) don't share connections, and get a faster connection. And if none of this doesn't work, then don't complain, unless your willing to spend a lot of money to relocate near a server.

-reply by Handgun_Hero

You are all wrong and it is funny thatyou thnnk you know what you are talking aboutHow To Fast Your Ping.

A ping time is how long it takes to get a packet of a CERTAIN SIZE to complete a round trip. That trip is not always the same route and the size of the packet can change. How many people are taking the same route, how much data is taking that same route all have an affect on your latencey. The mb (megabit) speed of your internet means that at most youcan transfer say 5 mb = 5 megabits. That is the amount of data in a cycle. A 10mb connection would do double the data in the same time. Thats all. At most an online game will require 256kb to play. Most ISP's provide that. If you are running other traffic from your PC, say downloads, they are now competing with your game for bandwith. So yes you will see a reduction if you run out of bandwith. Games use unacknowledged packets, or UDP for communication. Therefore, it only goes in one direction to or from. When yousee lag, youare seeing some packets getting lost (dropped) due to congestion. They are not retransmitted. So you will see someone go from right in front of you to far away like a blip. This is congestion at your ISP, your house or on your nic on your PC. There is a huge difference in how UDP and TCP packets work kiddies.

If you reduce your resolution and your "ping" goes down, then you need a better viseo subsystem. A better video card will fix this since a better card will offload what your CPU is making up for with a "weak" video card. There is certainly a strong tie between video performance in games and cpu cycles. Don't listen to these morons.

Software firewalls use cpu cycles to inspect packets, as do other products. As a general rule in computer science, once you start hitting 50% utilization on any computer device: network card, hard drive, cpu, RAM, whatever ... It will begin to underperform. Anything else that is written here is total BS and probably written by some kid that thinks he knows what he is talking about. Want to learn for yourself  ? wikipedia these things:

ping, tracert, UDP, TCP, IP, latencey. You will then understand for yourself. And morons please note that it is TCP or UDP then IP. TCP and UDP are controls for the IP protocol and are totally different.

In other words water hose analogy: connection speed = size of the hose & ping = length of the hose. From my understanding games don't send huge packets so speed wouldn't matter. Downloading data transmissions typically use TCP while voice and games typically use UDP. TCP = reliable by using sequencing numbers and checksums for error checking - UDP = unreliable but reduced latency and uses datagrams with no handshaking and less overhead.UDP works better for voice and gaming because by the time the packet would arrive and get error corrected it would already be too late in voice and gaming communication. It's not your fault you don't know this and you're not morons for not knowing it either!If you want better speeds on fps games its simply a matter of sorting ur server list by ping or if you have a server yourself, move your server to a less pathed/distanced location. I live a few hours from st louis and i still get better ping from texas because of the route the packets take.It seems easier to me to shift the server near your home place or find a server closer to you rather than move though :P

hi there, ping affects your online gaming experience far more then plain MBps

ping is the time taken for a packet of information to be acknowledged by the sever. i.e. you shoot your weapon on an online game - ping is the time it takes for the server to register you shooting whatever your shooting at.

Heres what happens if you have high ping. you shoot your weapon aimed straight at a target. The server takes 300ms (your ping for example) to register you have fired your weapon. Thing is - your 300ms behind so by the time the server registers you shooting - the target could have moved out of the hit zone. YOU see yourself shoot instantly but the server doesnt regognise you have made that action untill it recieves the packets of information.

Second point, an online game dosent take much bandwidth - you being able to download 20mbps wont help you.

for example an online game may only use 20kbps of bandwidth - so the critial point becomes how fast you can send/recieve that packet of information from the server (your ping)