xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Baniboy

Weird Pm. Spam?

happybabysent@yahoo.com Hello My dearest,
How are you doing today with your health .I believe that you are having a nice day,my name is Happiness.You have a nice profile at http://forums.xisto.com/ which interests me,i believe we will be good friends .My dear can i trust you,i need some one i will trust and call him my own,i need a trust worthy person.tell me about yourself.i believe so much in honesty..i am looking for an honest person who i can trust and share my hole love with...you can contact me through my email address(
happybabysent@yahoo.com )I will waiting to hear from you soonest .
Your new friend.
Happiness.
Please i will like you to contact me through my email address;(
happybabysent@yahoo.com)

This is the pm I got yestarday on Xisto.

This is really weird, and if she/he :P had looked at my profile, she could see that I'm only 14.
So this is spam so that I send a email and then they'll collect my address to send me spam? Or something else?

Have anyone else here at Xisto got a similar message?

Also I looked at "latest visitors" on my own profile page, no person with such account name had observed my profile. haha! Not really suprised tho :P
Edited by baniboy (see edit history)

This is the pm I got yestarday on Xisto.
This is really weird, and if she/he :P had looked at my profile, she could see that I'm only 14.
So this is spam so that I send a email and then they'll collect my address to send me spam? Or something else?

Have anyone else here at Xisto got a similar message?

Also I looked at "latest visitors" on my own profile page, no person with such account name had observed my profile. haha! Not really suprised tho :P

Got the same PM myself a few times. as told to me Bani. Forward that spam PM to an Admin and they can do something of it.

Well I have been a memeber since Nov of 08 and this was my 3rd in that time. so I would say not offen. But I feel as there isnt a board on the net that does not get this sort of thing. It's all part of the net and boards. I have had it happen on mine as well, and I just do as they do here. report the offender to an Admin.

Hey i joined this form this month only but i think i am 1st choice of spams i got this pm two times in between.I am unable to understand that what could be the real purpose of this spam.How could someone take advantage if i send a mail on some yahoo mail id.

Hey i joined this form this month only but i think i am 1st choice of spams i got this pm two times in between.I am unable to understand that what could be the real purpose of this spam.How could someone take advantage if i send a mail on some yahoo mail id.

Well they take your email id and then sell it to advertising companies (if the sender of the pm isn't already working for one) who then send spam to you.

Posted ImageYou want SPAM? There you have it!

Fortunately for me, I have never received a spam on this board. But if that did happen. I'd bait him. Something similar like 419eater.com :P

Baiting people is plus fun and plus will prevent them from further spamming other people while they 'deal' with you :P

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

as said before Avhigyan, if you get these PM's that are clearly spam trying get you to e mail them like the one's we have talked of. please Forward them to a Xisto Admin and they will squash it. Doing so will help keep our broard clean of this junk and user friendly for everyone. Spamming is a big money maker yes, but it is NOT allowed here in Tap17

I got the same message from happylove, who has no posts. This user is just a spammer, not interested in posting in the forums.
That's why I think he or she should be banned from this boards, or at least don't let her send PMs.
But it's not my responsibility to decide what to do with this user, it's just my opinion.

I also got a similar message from the user mariaibrahima, and reported it to BuffalloHelp.

Hello
How are you,hope you are doing well,Am maria a lovely Girl and i drop at your profile and i love what i saw there,i believe we can get aquainted,so if it interests you,pls reach me back here okay for further communications okay.i stop here awaiting your respond.
Regards,

Ms maria
maria.ibrahima@yahoo.com

I hope some action is taken against these spammers.

I can think of a way to form an anti-PM-spam script. They seem to be fond of the words "how are you", "interests" and "profile," and are fond of providing their e-mails and have no concept of spaces after certain punctuations. The concept of spaces part should be "optional," just in case they use better grammar, and should be detected more than once for better accuracy. The URL of Xisto can also be a filter, but it has to be limited and strict in its search; that is, nothing beyond http://forums.xisto.com/. The only problem with these filtering systems is if the spammers change their message from dating to something else. It's hard to detect all possibilities.

I can think of a way to form an anti-PM-spam script. They seem to be fond of the words "how are you", "interests" and "profile," and are fond of providing their e-mails and have no concept of spaces after certain punctuations. The concept of spaces part should be "optional," just in case they use better grammar, and should be detected more than once for better accuracy. The URL of Xisto can also be a filter, but it has to be limited and strict in its search; that is, nothing beyond http://forums.xisto.com/. The only problem with these filtering systems is if the spammers change their message from dating to something else. It's hard to detect all possibilities.

You can do one more thing just don't let someone send PM until he have not posted some more than 4-5 posts(useful only) and they are not older than 2-3 days because as i saw these users have never send any post and have joined forum vary recently.
I don't know but most probably they are using some bots and by the bots they are reading the posts and profile of user and if they are getting some particular key word or sentence in it then only they are sending the PM if that makes scene then one way could be recognizing bots or spiders on the forum.if it doesn't sound correct then forgive me because i have never run a real website i have just created 3-4 bots to fetch some links and data from a site to a mirror site and thats why i know it is possible thing.

Well if it is any help at all. I have noticed with the three Spam PMs that I have gotten since joining is that 2 of the 3 have asked to reply to a yahoo address. could this be a autobot signing up to send these PM's? hard to really track down I know. I mean there programs out to change up the IP Address so you can't block them. and so simple to just make another E mail,

Posted ImageYou want SPAM? There you have it!

Fortunately for me, I have never received a spam on this board. But if that did happen. I'd bait him. Something similar like 419eater.com :P

Baiting people is plus fun and plus will prevent them from further spamming other people while they 'deal' with you :P

Nice, I haven't came across that website before but it does sound like something fun to do for a while :P

I haven't gotten any spam from these forums, but if I ever do I might just try baiting them. Thanks for the tip miladinoski :D

I can think of a way to form an anti-PM-spam script. They seem to be fond of the words "how are you", "interests" and "profile," and are fond of providing their e-mails and have no concept of spaces after certain punctuations.

Now, wouldn't it just be easier to require a captcha in order to send PM's? Or disable PM's all together for members with 0 posts. Now I suppose both of those solutions could cause inconvenience to legitimate members, however so could having PHP automatically take some action against PM's with certain word phrasing in it.

Now, wouldn't it just be easier to require a captcha in order to send PM's? Or disable PM's all together for members with 0 posts. Now I suppose both of those solutions could cause inconvenience to legitimate members, however so could having PHP automatically take some action against PM's with certain word phrasing in it.

Instead of stopping the message from being sent, something could be added like "This message may be a phishing attempt - search google about phishing to learn more :P", as Gmail does. This could be disabled for members with more than 10 posts or so.