xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tramposch

Gran Torino Best Movie I Have Seen Since Windtalkers

When I first read about Gran Turino, I thought it was going to be pretty good; maybe some laughs, good scenes, the usual. When I actually saw it, I was taken away. The movie was outstanding. I touched me in a way I haven't known since seeing Windtalkers so many years ago. I started out laughing, I mean, there were a lot of funny racial slurs in there (it sounds bad, but it was really funny), along with tons of other good humor. Then when it got further in to the movie, I really got attached to it. It moved me. While I can't say everything I want to, I will say that towards the end it gets very touching.Here is the plot of the story:The main character of the movie is Walt Kowalski (played by Clint Eastwood), he is a Korean War vet that has strong, somewhat negative feelings towards Asians. Throughout the movie he throws out racial slurs at the Asians (mostly Hmong) people in his neighborhood. Honestly, it was funny. Then there was Thao, played by Bee Vang. This guy is a great actor. He is a teen that has self esteem issues, and basically does whatever he is told. When his cousin coerced him into joining his gang, things changed. His initiation was to steel Walt's 1972 Gran Torino. While it doesn't go according to plan, it ends up changing both of their lives.After Thao failed at that, his mother wanted him to repay Walt by working for him. Walt, being the hardass he is, completely reformed him. He taught him many valuable skills, and even got him his first job and girlfriend (though not directly, that would be weird). Walt was Thao's mentor, a good one at that. It made me wonder why not all guys can have somebody like that to teach them the ways of life. Walt reshaped Thao completely; he gave him confidence, skills, and basically a life.However, when Thao's failure with joining his cousin's gang comes back to bite him, Walt starts really sticking up for the Hmong community. This is where it really started to move me. A man that seemed to really dislike these people starts to stick up for them. While this may sound corny, if you see the movie you will feel the same way I did. Thao's cousin (Spider) starts getting violent; trying to get Thao to join his crew by whatever means necessary. Obviously Walt doesn't like this because he doesn't want to see a good youth succumb to the underground.From there I will have to put it in spoiler tags, as I do not want to ruin it for people.ONLY HIGHLIGHT THIS IF YOU WANT THE MOVIE REVEALED TO YOU!

When Thao was walking home from the bus stop after work, he is jumped by his Spider's gang. They burn his face with a cigarette and rough him up a little bit. When Walt sees this, he went over to his house and expressed his opinion. The fat guy in Spider's gang gets beat up pretty badly. Walt kicks his face and punches him a few times and of course tells him to leave Thao's family alone.This, too, comes back pretty badly. In the night, Spider comes around in his car with the rest of his gang and shoots up Thao's house. Thao gets injured in the neck. Walt came over when he heard the shots and was making sure everyone was alright. When he asked about Sue (Thao's sister), she was at their aunt's house. Thao called to make sure, but he found out she wasn't. She comes home a while later badly beaten up, and raped. When they reported it to the police, they didn't do anything for lack of witnessesObviously Thao and Walt wanted vengeance. Walt, however, knew better. He was making a plan of what to do, which he never actually mentions until you see what happens. Thao came over in the morning and asked what they were going to do, he wanted vengeance badly. Walt, however, told him to come back later. After some convincing, Thao left to go home and came back at 4. When he came in, Walt was cleaning his guns. Thao was excited and grabbed one, but Walt had him set it down. They went in the basement and into a trunk. Walt took out a medal he received in Korea and gave it to Thao. Then he told him to lock up the trunk while he went upstairs.Walt locked Thao downstairs. He didn't want Thao's life to get screwed up. Walt then called Thao's sister and told her where the keys were and where her brother was. While she was getting him, he went over to Spider's house. He stood on the sidewalk, and when he was finally noticed, they all came out with guns. Walt took out a cigarette then asked for a light, they didn't have one so he reached in his jacket to get one and they open fired on him. Walt didn't have a gun on him. He was reaching for a lighter.When Thao got there, the police were there and Spider and his gang were all cuffed up. Walt was being put in an ambulance in a body bag.At the end of the movie, they were at Walt's funeral. It was sad, I have to say. After the funeral, they were going over the will. The last item mentioned was his Gran Torino. His ungrateful family wanted it, specifically his granddaughter. She didn't get it. Thao did.

This movie really is distinct. It differs a lot from Clint's other films. The advertising really made it seem like it was going to be another movie with a badass main character, but he is a distinctive, memorable character on his own. He is funny, serious, and dramatic; all in a good sense, nothing is overly done.Gran Torino is probably the best movie I have seen since Windtalkers. This movie really shows how a person with strong racial prejudice can be completely turned around by the actions of a few people. Even though Walt was a senial old man, he changed. He turned in to a great person; fighting for what he believed in. Gran Torino was a great film. I will definitely be buying it when it releases. I highly recommend it to everybody.

Edited by Tramposch (see edit history)

Opinion on Gran TorinoGran Torino

Replying to Tramposch

After reading this review, I have few comments I'd like to express. First, the movie is great but it should only be seen by mature people. If you are unable to see the flaws in the character and appreciate the complications caused by those flaws, the movie could be an endorsement for vulgar behavior. Eastwood's character is indeed funny and laughter rings throughout the theater.One of the characteristics Walt Kowalksi displays is a strong sense of manhood, an ideology of being so tough that you cannot be defeated. The irony of his final choice and knowing the outcome, however, demeans the role of natural human death and implies we have the ultimate power over our destiny. While cleverly hidden within his agenda for seeking justice, Kowalksi clearly understood what his behavior toward the gang would result in. It leaves us to question many things, not the least of which are: What does it mean to be a man? Is trading one life for another a worthwhile endeavor? And finally; What does family mean OR What is family?I am closely related to a person who displays many of the characteristics associated with Eastwood's character. A constant barrage of racial slurs, tending to his own life with tedious care and being overtly callous towards those he deems as less than himself. As Walt Kowalski showed, he did not care for anyone who could not care for themselves. It is important to see that while his racism was overcome, his final act was a selfish one at the same time it released Thao and his family from their problems.While I admire Walt Kowalski was a mentor to Thao, I don't completely agree with the value system he bestowed upon Thao. It is not enough to be simply a rough and tough man who commands fear. Fear is earned (as adequately demonstrated in the movie) through force, anger, deciept and mistrust. Respect is earned by traits of compassion, empathy, generosity and love. It is those traits we see emerge in Kowalski that makes the character ultimately loveable. The sad irony of his gift of the Gran Torino to Thao instead of his granddaughter is that the relationship in his own family was sacrificed years before and his new family supplanted his geneological family.This is a great movie that challenges the mature thinking person. At the same time, we live in a society that does not always think things through. I encourage all mature adult movie goers to see this film!