xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Toby44

New Forum Software: Lookin' For Some Beta Testers

Hey :P

So I've been working on this web app for a couple of years and I'm looking for some extra feedback before I launch it. It's an open-source web forum called esoTalk. Kinda takes a different approach to vBulletin and the others - this screencast (2 mins) probably explains it better that I can write.

Anyway, if you're interested in this kinda thing (or if you're bored) then have a play around with it and please let me know if you can find any bugs that have slipped through. It should work in Firefox 3, Safari 3, IE7, and IE6. And maybe Opera 9, though I haven't checked that recently.

Source code is available here if you're able to check that out or install it on your own server (PHP4/5, MySQL5).

I still have an account at x10hosting, so I wouldn't mind installing, just give me a simple guide on how to install it as in the where to give the Database information and other things. I wouldn't mind, since I have most of those browsers' installed. Based on the screencast, I believe it to be it looks like a really simplified version of PHPBB3. Its good for a small forum, such as a support or a small discussion forum that just needs something larger than a shoutbox. Its clean and looks nice with the default template. I would however suggest, that you release with a shoutbox, because something like that needs it. Edit: Installed it, its so painless and easy. I mean you have made the most simple to install forum ever, it took me less than a minute, and it works fine. I'm using it as my back-up and base forum for now. I love this post, thanks man, and I would love to see this expand, and hope it gets better, but I really think that categories are needed and forum sections. This way its a lot of spam, its hard to keep track of threads, and not exactly useful for me, but I can see how someone may use it in the future. For future releases, and to actually get this to be bigger, include the category option, that can be disabled, it looks a lot better in Safari than Firefox, and probably better on a Mac because of its fluidity.

Edited by Xalor (see edit history)