xisto Community
cemeteryrecords

Self-teaching Online learning what you want

I spend approx. 12 hours a day online. Learning! believe it or not. I dropped out of high school 1 year ago. But for about 4 years, I spend all day and night learning Everything! Using google, howstuffworks, and forums. I've learned how to, and built a small jet engine, a small hovercraft, and more. I can program in 4 laguages, and can build a computer from scratch, as well as fix almost any problem on one. I've taught myself, algebra and trig. I've learned a lot about space, physics, and history as well. I've Read about 5 full ebooks on computers (2 A+ books, and 3 on Network+) I mean, I've learned more online, than any teacher or school has ever taught me. I dropped out beacuse I never even went anymore. I would miss a week of school and make up all in school work, homework, and tests, all within 2 hours. I even asked my math teacher for the work for the rest of the year, as to complete it in a week or two, then not have to attend the class. of course I was denied. But does anybody else do the online learning I described above?

I am in school solely because I am going for a double-doctorate(psychology and criminal justice, in case you care).When I am not in school I am also self-learning. I can't stand being dormant. If I'm not learning, I feel like I'm wasting my time.I know the basics of multiple programming languages as well, and was going to get into robotics until I found the cost...A basic robot can be built for $300 or so but I want to go above and beyond. Sadly the robotics "sets" run ~1500 for the good ones.At this point I am stuck learning what I can for free. But once I have my career up I will be able to toss out money to learn.Something that my grandfather taught me a long time ago, that I will never forget is...It was regarding breaking technology items. It may just be a little broken(easy to fix issue) and he would hand it to me and tell me to figure out how to fix it. If I broke it worse I would feel as if I failed, being that I felt like I was wasting money. His point, though, was that "That $60 just taught you what not to do with it." or some things along those lines. It was all about how the money is well worth what you learn from the cost, assuming that you have the money to begin with.I am currently in college full-time and I take a lot of electives. Some are about things I couldn't care less about, because who knows...One day I may look back and say "Man, I wish I would have taken that class on (insert class here) while I had the chance." Instead, I give everything a chance.So I guess for me, I'm limited by only one thing: Money.

Yea, that money thing will definitly get ya. Money kicked my *bottom* a lot time ago. :P So I do whatever I can for free online. I agree also. I hate being dorment. I don't even sleep alot because I feel like I'm wasting time that could be put to good use. I don't really play games or watch movies or TV because of it.

Yea, that money thing will definitly get ya. Money kicked my *bottom* a lot time ago. :P So I do whatever I can for free online. I agree also. I hate being dorment. I don't even sleep alot because I feel like I'm wasting time that could be put to good use. I don't really play games or watch movies or TV because of it.

I watch TV for entertainment purposes.

About games, it depends really. Everyone says they rot your brain but I have found that they've greatly increased my intelligence. Due to FPS's I've sped up my quick-thinking and reaction speeds(helps a lot when you do things that require fast thought, both mentally and physically - physical things like paintballing, mental things like debates).

Games also increase your ability to plan, strategize, and lead others(MMORPG's do). I've proven countless times that no matter how good someone is at the game, someone else brand new to it can still win, solely based on "wit."

But I like to learn about other stuff as well, :P. Those are just two of my hobbies.

And I sleep a lot...Around 10-12 hours a day, amazingly. And once I wake up I go straight to either studying, learning online, or gaming.

Haha, I have self-taught myself 5 programming languages and I am currently self-teaching myself French. I love being able to teach yourself how to do things and the internet helps me with that heaps. Another thing I enjoy learning is useless facts, they are so interesting and I know I will never use them. As for using online resources, I use w3schools.com all the time, I also use vectortuts, psdtuts.com, nettuts.com, tizag.com and a couple of other less important sites. Whenever I try and start learning something I always make sure that I am not doing anything else because I know that you take more information in if you are not multi-tasking (actually for me it doesn't make a difference, but I read it on a useless facts website so why should I doubt it :P). I learnt how to mix music, vocals and other, useful things that I use for my online radio station and I taught them all to myself via the internet.To round that all up, I think that self-teaching is the way to go... Sadly I still go to school, but I want to get a journalism degree so who cares :P

I spend approx. 12 hours a day online. Learning! believe it or not. I dropped out of high school 1 year ago. But for about 4 years, I spend all day and night learning Everything! Using google, howstuffworks, and forums. I've learned how to, and built a small jet engine, a small hovercraft, and more. I can program in 4 laguages, and can build a computer from scratch, as well as fix almost any problem on one. I've taught myself, algebra and trig. I've learned a lot about space, physics, and history as well. I've Read about 5 full ebooks on computers (2 A+ books, and 3 on Network+) I mean, I've learned more online, than any teacher or school has ever taught me. I dropped out beacuse I never even went anymore. I would miss a week of school and make up all in school work, homework, and tests, all within 2 hours. I even asked my math teacher for the work for the rest of the year, as to complete it in a week or two, then not have to attend the class. of course I was denied. But does anybody else do the online learning I described above?

I am the say way with learning. I never got the chance to really learn the weather the way that I wanted to in school. I now spend most of my free time looking and reading of all this and of how weather works and what it takes to make weather. Yes some call it a hobby but I also feel as it is learning and doing something to better myself.

I have been involved in learning web programming off the Web based resources over the last couple of years.When I first came to the Xisto back mid-2005 I could barely use HTML, never mind CSS. Since then, with lots of help and support from past and present members, I have managed to develop some skills which I share to others as my mentors did with me. Gawd, I love the Xisto!!!

Well i guess that everybody learns something from the internet. I myself am learning php, how to use drupal and guitar from the internet momentary. To bad i have to take my direct marketing degree in about 2 or 3 weeks and i haven't even started yet, cause i'll learn even more. The internet is great for this kind of stuff but sometimes you just need a teacher to explain something to you. And what i like to add i don't know how are you doing but schools are not just for learning they are about social interaction so be careful to have a lot of that too if you don't go to one.

I love learning stuff, as for the school stuff being too easy and boring, I agree. In my school we don't get much of homework, and if we do, I do them in like 15 minutes. Internet tutorials are a great way of learning really. I don't think it's too difficult to have multiple things to learn, it's very stimulating.I'm currently learning php, flash and how to play piano.If anyone wants to learn flash I recommend "Macromedia flash for dummies"-eBook. I search for sheet music over the internet to play them with piano. I use w3chools for learning php.Things I've learned so far from the internet: How to build an wind turbine, xhtml, css, a little php, how to build a radio, how to build an engine that works with electricity and finally(hahahaaa) how to get a free drink from a vendor machine(this was a lot of fun learning, and tastes sooo good to learn too).

The only pozitive thing in schools is the fact that you get to socialize a little bit; besides that, just like I have seen that most of you already experienced there is nothing that you cannot learn online if you are really interested in a specific topic. It takes a little bit of effort at first, but once you have seen the outcome of a thing or topic that you have learned, you feel such a great pleasure that you just have to start learning something else. That's at least my case!

Looking back at how much I learnt while being online I can say it's half what I learnt all my life.I can't really draw a list of things that I learnt online for some reasons. First it's along list and second I don't want to misunderstood specially with my avatar that looks like Mr. know-it-all :)But my problem with most of what I learnt is that it's kind of incomplete and never matches a level near to a pro. There're lots of gaps in what I learnt.