xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cemeteryrecords

How-to: Dual Boot Using Windows and Linux

This is a tutorial on dual booting. For the purpose of simplicity, I will be describing how-to dual boot Windows and Linux,
assuming you already have Windows installed. But linux users fear not! For it is quite simple to reverse this to start with Linux. Enjoy.

=======================================

O.K. First things first. Back-up your files. Anything you don't want to lose. Because I have personally lost my entire drive before. Do be a victom of loss of data. Two back-up utilities are,:
* AutoSave Essentials
* StuffIt Deluxe 12
Now, I have personally never used them, but they are supposed to be good. They cost money, so if you have it, get down on these. If you don't have money, look for a freeware tool, I'm sure these something. (Or you could look for *cough* torrent *cough*) lol. So back up your drive or important files, or whatever.
If you don't want to back-up your files, that's on you. I accept NO responsabilty for data loss. You have been warned.

=======================================

Now, assuming you already have windows on your computer:

*Windows XP & Vista:
We will start by disabling the pagefile, because it is unmovable.
So, Open the Start Menu and go to Control Panel. Then click on the System icon and select the Advanced tab.
Under Performance, click Settings and go to Advanced. Under Virtual Memory, click Change, and Select No Paging File and then click Set.
then click OK in all the menus. Now Restart.
Now run a defragment. Start>Programs>accesories>system tools>defrag.
I personally run it three times To move all files as close to the front as possable.

Next. download the GParted live cd here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
GParted is a free linux distro live cd, made for the sole purpose of Disk Management.
Once it downloads, burn the .iso to a cd, using Nero, Alcohol, or whatever you use.
Turn off the computer And starou may have to change your BIOS settings.
When it loads, start gparted (on the desktop)
Select your drive, and shrink it to your desired amount.
then create a Linus partition in the empty space, leaving room for swap (double your amount of ram). Format the linux to Ext2, and the swap to Linux Swap.
Run these jobs, and when they finish, reboot with your linux disk that your installing.

Now install your Linux in the partition we just made for it.
When that finishes, restart the computer, with no disk in drive.
It should boot right to Linux. You may be thinking, "What the hell happened to windows???", fear not, it will be back soon. (but who would want that?, lol)
Open a shell, and type:
cd /etc
sudo -e lilo.conf

Now, using the arrow keys, scroll to the bottom.

You should see:

# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = Linux
label = Linux
read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends

now below that, add:

# Windows bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/sda2 (or whatever yours is)
label = Windows
table = /dev/sda (or whatever yours is)
# Windows bootable partition config ends

now, to save it, press F2, hit enter, then press F10

now type in shell:
/sbin/lilo -v

Restart.

If everything went OK, you should get an OS selection screen when you start the computer. Boot to each one to make sure they work, and boom!
You now have a dual-booted computer.

Last step: Use linux, and realize that windows sucks, and you should get rid of it! lol.

Peace, CeM-ReC.