xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
puneye

Drupal Or Joomla With Extension(community) ?

I want to earn money with website.So i want to make social networking like hi5, myspace. which software is better Drupal or Joomla with community extension.Please give me some idea about it.

I would vote Joomla as the best one to use...But I wouldn't start a social network to make money. The chances of coming up with the next Myspace or whatever are very low.And those weren't made for money. They were made for friends and slowly(over years) grew bigger and bigger.

Joomla has a really big community and lots of extensions. Its my favourite CMS although Drupal isn't bad (but a little less user friendly).I agree with rpgsearcherz, trying to start a new social networking community to compete with facebook and myspace would be really difficult. There are probably easier ways of making money on the web out there.

Wth what is with this advice? Don't use Joomla on community driven websites.

Use Drupal it is the best option for your social networking site. Check the modules they have lots to help you on this type of site.

I don't know why people here said Joomla, but i guess that they did not try Drupal and just said what they know.

And about Joomla having a good community.. i have second thoughts on that to. On Joomla forums people just answer if they can make some money of you. Almost every good addon or theme for joomla costs a few bucks.

I would vote Joomla as the best one to use...
But I wouldn't start a social network to make money. The chances of coming up with the next Myspace or whatever are very low.

And those weren't made for money. They were made for friends and slowly(over years) grew bigger and bigger.

I have to agree, and besides every time you turn around there is a new site such as myspace,facebook or whatever. all over rated and same ole thing. but if you really want to give it a try go for it. I would have to also say that Joomla is best mainly because it is 1 it is better known of the two also a little easier to work with. you can find also a lot more templets to pick from.

Wth what is with this advice? Don't use Joomla on community driven websites.

Use Drupal it is the best option for your social networking site. Check the modules they have lots to help you on this type of site.

I don't know why people here said Joomla, but i guess that they did not try Drupal and just said what they know.

And about Joomla having a good community.. i have second thoughts on that to. On Joomla forums people just answer if they can make some money of you. Almost every good addon or theme for joomla costs a few bucks.

You're right about never having used Drupal.

But I haven't found anything that Joomla wasn't capable of doing. Joomla has awesome templates, themes, etc. and works well with anything you can throw at it.

Granted, yes, a lot of the extensions cost money(as well as templates) but there are quite a few that are free as well.

i think joomla is very heavy 16,7mb or so while drupal is 14mb less than that. I would never put 16mb page on my site you know the bandwidth will reduce significantly, since it is a community website you will probably need a lot of bandwidth and the lightest interface possible. But again it's personal opinion that matters, if you want rich interface choose joomla, the way i see it drupal will beet joomla somewhere on the road ahead.

Edited by SofiaComp (see edit history)

If you wanted to start a social network, Joomla or Drupal are definitely not the way to go. I would suggest Ning or ELGG. Those are social networking platforms in which you can build off of. They are pretty easily customizable, and with a bit of use are very easy to get the hang of. While themes and plugins are incredibly available, they are there.However, I wouldn't suggest making a social network to make some money. They generally don't pay out as well in comparison to other types of sites, and take a long time to develop and get a user base; not to mention maintain. I would suggest a forum or blog. Forums are big money makers if you even have a semi active one. Just come up with an idea that is new, or do it in a unique way. Being different is key.