xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
puneye

Own Cms With Php And Mysql how to make make own cms

I want to make own simple cms using php and mysqlanybody has tutorial, ebooks please send me.dpak[at]puneye[dot]com

First of all, you should know lots of PHP, and how to write MySQL queries. You should know how to keep your site safe of attacks, so you'll have to be careful not to leave holes for hackers to use (like inserting code through GET variables and that kind of stuff). Also, you'll have to keep the CMS engine separated from the presentation (aka as templates, skins, themes, etc...). Smarty is useful for that.
Finally, you'll have to put all that together and spend hours writing code, checking things, in different servers, letting your friends find bugs, etc.

So, the best option is ask yourself: Do I really need to my own CMS?

If I were you, I would rather use one of the CMS out there, like Joomla, Mambo, or even Wordpress, the blogging software which has developed content managment feature, it's quite solid and has lots of themes (presentation) and plugins (add-ons), and it's quite intuitive and easy-to-use, specially for starters.

So my recommendation is: use the CMS you can find in those Fantastico-like installers. I've had good results with Wordpress, so I recommend it. Anyway, I leave you some links to discussion here on the boards, about which is the best content management software; it's healthy to hear other points of view. Links: 1, 2, 3, 4.

Good luck, Andrés

Hi!Running a pre-built content management system is overkill at times, and many shared hosting providers would pull the plug if the scripts take up too much CPU time. WordPress, one of the most popular content management systems, uses up a lot of the CPU and while it is powerful enough to support most features without any programming, due to its rich set of user-contributed plugins, the computing power needed to power a high-traffic website without resorting to caching is not something every webmaster would want to invest in.There are several light-weight content management systems out there, but you have got to look at what they have to offer. "Light weight" is a loosely defined term that can range from "small in size" to "simple user interface". sNews, for example, comes in a 55kB distribution archive but if you hold down the F5 key with a browser window open, it will max out your CPU.With most PHP applications, the CPU usage can get to be an issue and writing a custom CMS or building upon existing no-frills CMS systems can help get around the issue. If you do decide to go this route, be prepared to write code... lots of it! You wouldn't have the freedom to choose from the huge directory of plugins that open source content management systems have to offer.

I cannot understand why you said that Wordpress uses a lot of CPU resource. I have Wordpress on a server shared with 200 websites and users and Wordpress runs smooth, I have Wordpress on a very old machine set up as a personal test site and as I asked 50 people to visit the IP address that I use on that old machine and told them to press F5 at least 10x for a period of 30mins. The CPU usage only spike to 39% from 35% and this is almost like being attacked by a Denial of Service method (F5 / Refresh loading).Bottom line is that Wordpress does not use too much CPU process or resources and runs even on 100MB memory allocation for running scripts. Most webhosting have 150MB-200MB shared memory for process. This is also true to most CMS software out there even on CMS that uses Smarty. Smarty is a template engine built over PHP that separates skin and logic.Only a malconfigured server can crash with Wordpress installed or those one that are on a highly crowded server with lots of malfunctioning scripts. The only time I encountered Wordpress to hang up was when I use a DDOS attack on our work server and the error was "MySQL maximum database connection reach" which is non Wordpress related error and will even occur if you are using light weight CMS.------------------The main problem on serving webpages is malformed scripts and the top of the chain was bandwidth since this don't come in cheap.

Edited by vhortex (see edit history)