xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Name Brand Or Knock Off's which do you like best?

Okay answer me this. Why is it so many people go out and buy some way over priced item such as jeans shoes or glasses just because of the name brand? why spend say $100 for some named brand item when you could get the same thing for $50? has the world become name brand crazy? do we really care of what other people think, that we go out and by a pair of shoes just because of the name of the shoe? True the quality may be better but with how money is now a days would you rather spend all that just for a name or save a dollor and get a knockoff of the same thing?Myself, and call me cheap but I belive in buying what is right for me. Not spending X amount for a big name brand when I could get the same thing for 50 or more precent less.So what does everyone here feel of this. Would you buy the big name or a knock off to save a buck or two,

Echo, I am so with you on so many levels with choosing the generic over the brand name. I ridicule lots of people in my head that come out of Abercrombie and Fitch stores, wearing their ugly Ugg boots and Gucci sunglasses INDOORS, clutching their leather purses, wearing their Tag Heuer watches and whatnot.Why would you spend so much money on a brand name?My personality must seem like a hypocritical one, just because I laugh at what I call "sheeple" (which I just discovered is not just my invention), yet I somewhat defend my ownership over my Oakleys, a $200+ pair of sunglasses... that's a markup of ten to twenty times from what you can snag at a department store. I also have a watch that costs $100... something I could have snagged for $70 cheaper. My cell phone is a $300 Motorola i580... and we all know that we could have just settled for a $50 one that just makes phone calls.And guess what?All my clothes come from Walmart. :P I guess I can somewhat classify myself as brand-concious because I love durability and function. I have Oakleys because I liked the look, I liked the ballistic protection, and I liked the durability. My watch can tell time, the day, set multiple alarms, measure temperature, act as a compass, and do a multitude of other things. It has been proven consistently that my phone can be dropped from multiple stories, run over by a car, dropped in water, and thrown violently at a concrete wall without losing any functionality of the phone.With that, I love those brands because I know that they make quality products.I like Hewlett Packard and Dell because I know that HP makes good computers that keep me happy, and I know that Dell is a company that I can recommend because they make good budget computers (with the exception of the XPS, which I still think is overpriced). I love Logitech with their peripheral input devices and their sound systems because I know that they are pretty awesome (for the most part). I own a pair of Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers and I won't hesitate to buy another speaker set by them. Even with EA's evil rap and their assimilation of great games and turning them into evil mush with their copy protections and whatnot, I still love the games that they're associated with (Spore, Battlefield series, post-Westwood Command and Conquer series, etc.).I even choose Pop-Tarts over the value ones at Walmart, but that's because the value ones taste like crap.However, it works both ways. I always buy the generic brands for medication and drugs, because really, it's the ingredient you're looking out for and not the name that works (unless you're really into the placebo effect). I never go out of my way to buy any clothes from any fashion retailer (like The Gap or Old Navy). I will buy most value foods over their brand counterparts. And I could go on and on.It really depends on what I'm buying and what my research comes up with. I always check out professional as well as consumer/peer reviews on things, and I always do my homework to figure out what's the best choice in value, whether it means that I spend less or that I spend less in the long run. And of course, I have my guilty pleasures...

Here is my quick response:I tend to buy name brand because of higher quality (though it doesn't always have better quality). If I know I am getting a better product from an off brand company, I'll buy it. But I tend to see that name brand products offer a lot better services and products. That is from my experiences.

For some it's just for the social aspect but other like myself buy only where there is a big difference in quality between brand and phantom brand. Let's say shoes for example there i find a big difference i wear size 12 12.5 and it's really hard to find some cheaper shoes this size. Also on shoes the quality is great on brand items compared to non brand. On clothes i usually buy anything that looks good on me.And i just don't like people that wear d&g and other brands like that and as someone said before me, wear sunglasses indoors or in rainy wheather or in situations like that.I also have my laugh of people that buy brand jeans when they are all the same or that buy jeans that are previously wrecked to be cool.To finalize some buy them because they can afford then and the others because they want to seem like they can afford them.

I've never understood the concept of paying double or more in some cases for an almost identical piece of clothing with the only difference being the label. I've known people who've run themselves into thousands of pounds worth of debt simply because they want to keep up with fashion.I've got a couple of name brand things but its because they were comfortable or I really like the design, two things which I'd consider much more important than just a label (as well as the price :P )

I personally always buy name brand because I know I can trust it. This is because a lot of the fake rip offs are made in China and they have a lot of scares to do with food and health. If I can avoid it I will not buy foods made in countries that have poor health and poor working conditions, not because I am a snob, but because I don't wanna risk it. Also it is not that much more to buy good quality foods and other products and you will find there to be a benefit in the end.

Well, Name-brand/generic food wise, It all depends. Some foods are perfectly fine generic, even better! However, others, I have to buy the brand name, and accept no imitations. So like I said, it all depends.

Well, Name-brand/generic food wise, It all depends. Some foods are perfectly fine generic, even better! However, others, I have to buy the brand name, and accept no imitations. So like I said, it all depends.

This is definitely true.

I personally usually buy the off-brands solely because you really can't tell the difference between it and the expensive stuff. But not always.

Case in point : Cereal....Store brand...I'll usually buy that but there is one type (Sugar Smacks) that tastes horrible as store brand(at Wal-Mart or Brookshires).

Or vegetables. Canned spinach doesn't taste the same as the expensive brand either.

But pretty much aside from those two I'm willing to always go with store brand. No reason to pay more for the same thing. That's what causes so many people to experience issues during economic hardships and stuff. They spend unnecessarily on things that they could otherwise do without.

well for some people the only reason they buy name brands is so the can say they have the money for it, or they just think the name brand is better. the reason i'd buy name brand is i'd trust that they would function better. i myself i don't buy "knock-offs" very much, i buy name brands but not at name brand prices, i don't buy pants over $25 dollars, shoes over $35, and i don't buy glasses. some things i would rather buy "knock-offs," but there are some things that i would think twice before not buying the name brand like, medication. in my opinions somethings are worth the extra money.(but not all)

Okay answer me this. Why is it so many people go out and buy some way over priced item such as jeans shoes or glasses just because of the name brand? why spend say $100 for some named brand item when you could get the same thing for $50? has the world become name brand crazy? do we really care of what other people think, that we go out and by a pair of shoes just because of the name of the shoe? True the quality may be better but with how money is now a days would you rather spend all that just for a name or save a dollor and get a knockoff of the same thing?

Myself, and call me cheap but I belive in buying what is right for me. Not spending X amount for a big name brand when I could get the same thing for 50 or more precent less.

So what does everyone here feel of this. Would you buy the big name or a knock off to save a buck or two,

It depends on what it is. I could care less about a pair of jeans, but a handbag is something different. I can tell if someone is wearing a knockoff. I have a Louis Vuitton Speedy 30 which cost $700, it was a graduation gift to myself. You can put so much stuff in that bag, it's not even funny. Its like a mini-suitcase. The quality of the bag is so imaculate compared to a cheap knock off. On a knock off, the bag is made differently too. The leather is of course not leather at all, alot lower in quality, the Louis Vuitton logos are off, and so is the stitching. The cheaper ones won't last for a year, so it is better to just spend the money. I am not saying purchase a bag if you your bills are over flowing, and your rent is due. Only when someone feels they can afford it. Huge accomplishments, christmas gifts, or when you just need to buy yourself something nice. When you work hard for your money, a person should be able to buy exactly what they want.

I personally think people create brand names for two reasons, one so they can charge an outrageous price for something and two so they can make a cheap knockoff of the same product. Then when people see the knockoff they say "who wants a knockoff when I can have this name brand item thats worth so much more." while others see the name brand and buy the knockoff because it's so much cheaper. it's a monopoly to get you to spend money, so these huge companies can make a killing. The name brand handbag costs maybe 1/10 of the price you pay for it. thats 90% profit of the $1,000 or so dollars someone spends on it. Me, I rarely buy anything and If I do I certainly wouldn't buy the name brand when the knock off is just as good.

Well there are some items I buy from name brands, because even if I spent a little bit more on those, they are going to last because the quality is better, but this doesn't apply to all the name brands some are good some aren't you just have to know your product and stick to it haha. I understand the financial situation right know is tight but there are some things you just can't go cheap, because you're going to spend more money replacing it than if you originally bought the good quality one, instead of do more with your money you did less. I particularly think that the price you pay says a lot about the product your buying, If I buy really cheap shoes I expect them to last a little time if they last longer that's great if they're not they pay it cost. But not only expensive name brands have the best designs, there are a lot of small designers that have great products and don't charge as much as the big ones charge, and you'll have items that are not as usual as the ones everybody has. And there's nothing wrong with Walmart clothes, I have buy a lot of great quality pieces there, I bought the best pair of trousers there, really cheap and cute, for me it's always difficult to find pants, but those fit like no other brand pant I have tried. Because jeans are a different story but pants OMG it's so hard to find the right ones... :P