xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

Explanation Of Some Hosting Feature Jargon.

Could someone explain to me what the following things are ? (They are all features of hosting plans, but with a somewhat difficult terminology):

-Shell Access.

What exactly does that do or what benefit do you get from that?

Then, next, as taken from the Xisto billing site:

Shared Web Hosting Features:-

* Multi-Core Processor Server Network

* Powered by XO Communications

* Automated Monthly Backups (That is clear enough)

* On-Demand Backup Weeky Database Backup (This I understand too)

* Supports Joomla, WordPress, VBulletin, Invision, phpBB, Gallery etc. (That is clear too)

* Special Optimizations for WAP sites. (That is clear too)

* Secured Client Area for Billing & Support Queries (That is clear too)

* 365 Day Forum Support (more than 50,000 Members) (That is clear too)

* Credit System v3 Support* to earn Credits (pay with virtual money) (That is clear too)

The first two features in the above need a bit of explaining (to me anyway).

I posted this because I am trying to find out whether upgrading my hosting would give me a bit more protection against all the problems I had to face so far.

Well the server is a network of multi-core processors :P that is easy enough. the second one... i don't know what is about.Shell access is.. how to explain this the easy way.. like ms-dos on the server. you can connect to a servers with a software like putty and issue commands as a user of the system like changing permissions on files, copying, moving, deleting and such. Some php scrips also require and only work from shell. Also on an dedicated server you should have root access, but i don't think that's your case.Hope i helped.

Well Shell Access is the most secured form of communicating wit hyour servers by using command prompt. So if you have ever used commpand prompt on Windows or ever used a linux operating system and needed to change permissions or create files or folders quickly it is basically the same thing. In this case someone could use Shell Access to create a web hosting account without hte need to use WHM or Web Hosting Manager to create hte account for you.XO Communications is the company Xisto join uped last year to help provide better server technology and better hosting for the xisto network and so that is why you see all these wonderful features in your hosting account. As for the Multi-Core processors it is anywhere from 8-32 processor chips on one server thus making it fast and able to move massive amounts of data within second with no delay.