xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpgsearcherz

Issue With Linux Install command isnt working

I am using the latest version of Debian, with only one additional install(TS). I set it up with the desktop, web, and file environment...And one more but forgot what it was.Anyways, to give a better view of what I am attempting to do, I am emulating Linux using VirtualBox so that I can learn how to use Linux as a server(As I am planning on going to a dedicated server down the road. I want to know what I'm doing ahead of time).Now, I did the install as said above, and the TS is TeamSpeak 2, which should have nothing to do with my issue.What I am attempting to install now is VHCS. It's like Cpanel, only free.I downloaded the tar file, I unzipped it and all, and it has file source code that must be compiled.Following the tutorials(even on the site - http://www.vhcs.net/) you should go to the root directory of the unzipped files and type "make install."I come up with errors...They are [install] error 1 and [install] error 2. I can post the full error messages if that would help with anything. But more or less it's not even *trying* to make the files.I tried using the command "make" as well, with the same results.So the question is, do I need to install something new in order to "make" source code files and install programs, or am I doing something wrong?If any details are needed please ask me. I've literally been messing with Linux for about an hour and a half now, so I know almost nothing about it.Thanks in advance.

Make errors are due to coding errors in the source code or not being able to link to the header files. Configure errors are due to unsuccessfully locating needed header files. The configure script has to end properly before attempting to call make. Make errors should be reported to the developer (unless you want to go into the source code itself and find the problem, and submit to the devs a patch) if it's not related to missing header files. Header files are found within <package-name>-dev files in the repository. Installing those will allow the configure script to find those, and then make will have a higher chance of compiling all the way through.

I don't even know where to start at with that, :P. Any tutorials or anything?And looking online it seems I'm the only person with the issue compiling that program. Even on their forums and everything nobody else listed the error anywhere,=/

Post any errors the configure script gives out. If none and it goes through without any problems, then post the make errors.

Okay, after I use "make install" this is what it shows:

cd ./tools && make installmake[1]: Entering directory '/home/anonymous/Desktop/vhcs2.4.7/tools'
cd ./build && make install
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/anonymous/Desktop/vhcs2.4.7/tools/build'
/usr/bin/install -m 0700 -o root -g root ./vhcs2-mkdirs.pl /usr /sbin
/usr/bin/install: cannot remove '/usr/sbin/vhcs2-mkdirs.pl': Permission denied
make[2]: *** [install] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/anonymous/Desktop/vhcs2.4.7/tools/build'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/anonymous/Desktop/vhcs2.4.7/tools'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Edit : I'm guessing the "permission denied" thing has something to do with it?
Edited by rpgsearcherz (see edit history)

Edit : I'm guessing the "permission denied" thing has something to do with it?

I think i see the problem. The tutorial you followed probably assumes that you would have already been logged in as root before installing or before attempting to compile. This is common among tutorials. But now-a-days, people use sudo.
CONSOLE
sudo make install

I tried using Sudo and it didn't work, so I logged in with "SU" and the password.Then it gave issues about how GCC couldn't be found, so I went through tutorials on how to install that, and got it up.And now the program tries to compile but it runs into around 30 lines of errors, so I gave up on it,lol.It's just stressing me out right now,=/. I just wanted a way to set up a web host on it to where I could give people their own subdomains and stuff(like actual web hosts do).