xisto Community
Tramposch

Domain...stealing?

I want to buy the domain ptb.com but the owner does not respond to emails or anything. I know I can't force them to sell it to me, but it isn't even in use. It has no website or anything. Is there any way ICANN can contact the owner and see if they will sell it or even reply for that matter, and if they don't I can buy it? I have emailed the person like 5 times over the past 2 weeks. I guess that email address isn't checked anymore, or they just don't check email...

There is also a phone number provided for that domain, and both of you are located in the US, so you could always phone the owner and get an instant response out of them.

I want to buy the domain ptb.com but the owner does not respond to emails or anything. I know I can't force them to sell it to me, but it isn't even in use. It has no website or anything. Is there any way ICANN can contact the owner and see if they will sell it or even reply for that matter, and if they don't I can buy it? I have emailed the person like 5 times over the past 2 weeks. I guess that email address isn't checked anymore, or they just don't check email...

Could also be that the owner or owner's bought a bunch of names in bulk back in the day, and has forgotten he or she even has it. Most domains are good for one year, so you could also check it every so offen to see if it opens up. That or use something other than dot.com dot.net or org. would do just as good as a dot.com. or even p_t_b.com

Thats too bad. Now a days, almost all good names are taken and its very difficult to find one, especially the 3 letter domain names. All 3 letter domains are already taken and they cost too much if you want to buy one from that reseller. I really hate these domain name resellers... :P Even though you get response from that ptb.com domain owner, the amount he'll ask would be very very higher than you imagine. :P So, try to find a good domain that suits the content of your site. These short domain names won't tell anything about your site and its content. And also it is very easy to forget them (yes, we forget too short names easily espicially acronyms). I think, these Acronym type domains works for Institutions and already established big companies but won't work for new sites. :P Anyway, if have your reason to go for that domain name, I wish you all the best. If you get response from that owner, google for some domain bargain tips before offering price to that owner or to respond to his offer. If you already knew all this crap, please ignore :P

Edited by xpress (see edit history)

To answer the question as to if you can buy the domain if he doesn't reply, no.That would be like asking someone who has a car they never drive if you can buy it, them ignoring you, and you being allowed to forcefully buy it off them.The owner owns the domain, so it is theirs to do whatever they want with it. If they want to let it rot it's their choice.As to buying it, the maximum you can get a domain for is 10 years. Because of this, you can find out when it is going to expire and then check out purchasing it on that day.

It expires in 2011 :PI will probably end up calling the number.I do already have a domain for my website, I just want this shorter one for email haha. Possibly easy access to my mobile site version too.

Everyone is pretty much right, the only way you be able to get that domain is to call the person who owns it, but expect to pay a lot if the dude knows bad you want that domain, that's if he reads his emails and not.

3 letter domains cost a lot because as far as I'm understanding, 3 letters is the least you can put in a domain. You can't have like http://www.afternic.com/forsale/gk.com?utm_campaign=tdfs_namefind_orca&traffic_id=Namefind&traffic_type=TDFS or anything, and so people take the 3 letter ones because they are useful for domain forwarding systems and stuff.I would recommend you just forget about that domain and stick with a normal one, :P.

Yea, I am expecting to pay a bit for it...I don't really want to wait till 2011 for it to expire, so I will call later today. I really want the domain. But it isn't necessary, I am sure I could think of another quick one for easy emailing.