xisto Community
rpgsearcherz

ClanTakeOver Site review request

Okay guys, the site has gone through a HUGE overhaul. We are now split between a site and a community, :P. Please check out both of them, and let me know what you think. The following are things I'm interested in knowing... ***Things that you dislike ***Things that you like ***What would you change? ***What is missing? ***What is not needed? As for the website, I am thinking about dropping the forums from it and using the ones from the social network instead. Just seems more efficient that way. For the looks....I need to get skins/themes for both the site and social network that both mix together, but to be honest I am probably the most horrible person at choosing them, and I can not edit graphics at all, :P. So for now, I'm looking more for the functionality reviews than anything. And then I will work on the graphics. Also....A big part of this. Could you see yourself joining the community? My goal is to slowly build it up over time, bringing in people as I do various things, whether it be in school, friends online, games I play, etc. Without further ado, the addresses are... http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ The social link is also on the normal site(at the top - Community) And thanks a lot in advance guys. Please feel free to join the community if you wish. I am also looking for moderators/content providers for the site, social network, and everything else to do with it, :P. If anyone is interested, of course. Forgot to add...There are some specific things that I need to know about the sites as well. First of all - when you are viewing the main site, what are the two top stories that you see?(The first two that you see) And on this link, tell me if it shows up without you having to actually log in(http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) Thanks again.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Main section looks astounding. The social part could use work on the theme, but as for content, great job. This definitely looks better than the old version. I am very happy with your progress. Good job.

I need to skin both of them to be honest. I've been working solely on function on both of them. And sadly, I am a solo developer who knows pretty much nothing, lol.I'm learning as I go. Pretty much I find something I want to edit/change, and then search Google for tutorials and explanations as to how it works and what to do with it, and then I try it and see how it goes.Did you find any issues other than the looks of them? Like various things you think should be taken out or added? There is some stuff that I am planning on adding to the network as a whole if the site grows big enough(if it grows a lot I will need to take it to a dedicated server anyways, and I already have many plans of what to do with it after that).

I will go through them more thoroughly and report back to you. But from what I went through, it is looking good. It is pretty hard to cover every possible situation to check styles and what not, but I will try to help.

Here is an attached image of the visible portion of the site when i first arrive.And i see you profile on the second link without logging in.

post-9787-1230956063_thumb.png

I just now made it to where guests can view the videos as well. One of the things I want, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea, is to allow guests to view pretty much everything.Do you all feel that I should do that, or make certain parts member only?Obviously my main concern here is bandwidth usage. At least if people are members they are helping contribute, whether it be a little or a lot.But on the other hand, guests who are able to see everything may want to then join so that they can comment, contribute, etc. as well.So it's a hard decision.Edit : Jl - that's what I was afraid of. There are 4 more articles after that, that are supposed to be seen by all but for some reason aren't....I'll mess with that some more.

Edited by rpgsearcherz (see edit history)

Maybe not show them everything, but a fairly good teaser. If they see enough to the point they want to join, then they will join and contribute which is the ultimate goal. Leave some more bandwidth intensive parts out if you need to conserve it. And maybe show some ads to guests. That usually generates income.

I think the main problem with your site's wouldnt be the design at all. When I first go there I am lost at to what the purpose of your site is for. I can guess it has something to do with games since your young and obviously kids are into games. The links to games and screen shots tell the same story but seriously there are so many gaming sites out there that provide many services. Why would anyone want to go and join your website when there are better sites out there? Is is the articles you write or maybe pictures or videos you link? I suggest you ask yourself what is the purpose of your sites and make it clear to new visitors what your sites offer because I'm pretty sure that's one of the main rules of having a website. Maybe an 'about us' page will help? What I hate? When I go to your site I have no idea its clear purpose and think its just another waste of web space. The only thing that keeps me there is because I'm giving it a review to try and help you out. Horrible.

I think the main problem with your site's wouldnt be the design at all. When I first go there I am lost at to what the purpose of your site is for. I can guess it has something to do with games since your young and obviously kids are into games. The links to games and screen shots tell the same story but seriously there are so many gaming sites out there that provide many services. Why would anyone want to go and join your website when there are better sites out there? Is is the articles you write or maybe pictures or videos you link?
I suggest you ask yourself what is the purpose of your sites and make it clear to new visitors what your sites offer because I'm pretty sure that's one of the main rules of having a website. Maybe an 'about us' page will help?

What I hate? When I go to your site I have no idea its clear purpose and think its just another waste of web space. The only thing that keeps me there is because I'm giving it a review to try and help you out. Horrible.

Wow....That was very critical...

But it's exactly what I wanted!

Thank you very much for the helpful insight into that. The negatives are what I'm looking for the most, as they will help iron out the issues. All positive comments brings nothing new, :P.

So as to your point, it's very solid. As for the purpose, I have not 100% figured that out yet. I am thinking about taking it to the gaming scene, as you inferred, but I am unsure as to if the social network should be a multi-theme(like Myspace and all) or not.

To explain more as to what the goal is, to you, I am bringing an all-in-one solution to the table. No more having to say "Videos...Youtube...Socialization..Myspace....Forums...(???)...Gaming information...Ign", and instead give all of them at the same time.

As for the lack of completeness, I am a sole developer on this right now and It's only been going for a few days now, :P.

I will definitely add an About Us page though on the website and the network. If it's alright with you, can I possibly pm you in a week or so for another critical view on it, after it's had adjustments?

okay all the talk in the shoutouts got me curious. Not bad at all I have to say site one was a little slow in loading on IE though for me. also page side "width" needs to be fixed. not by much though. other than that I give it a 7.6 on the Echo Meter

Site width...Are you speaking of the actual site or the social network?I have been trying to figure out, for quite a while, how to make Joomla a full screen site, but nothing is working, and I don't know enough CSS to go through the files myself to try and do it.That is something I would love to change about the site though. If only I knew how, :P.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa, okay. I put the site through a pretty much full transformation.I'm not finished with it, I'm at a brick wall mentally right now. So I decided to go ahead and re-share it with you all.Consider this TakeOver Version 1.1The primary goal right now is the website, then the social network. I may do away with the normal forums altogether, as the network has some anyways, :P.Please give a small review of the website itself if you can please.And thanks in advance.Site address : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/