xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tatati

Behold! The Hypno Cake!

triplebtalk owes us a cake :P

Posted Image

This recipe can be found at http://lilyng2000.blogspot.de/2006/06/rainbow-cake.html

Ingredients:

500g egg white

60g evaporated milk

1 tbsp butter oil

225g castor sugar

300g cake flour

1 tbsp ovalette/sponge cake stabilizer

a pinch of salt

150g melted butter

6 colours (red, green, orange, blue, purple and yellow),

Method:

Whisk all the above ingredients except the melted butter until it is stiff and fluffy.

Turn to a low speed and add in the melted butter.

Grease and line a 9 inch round cake tin.

Divide mixture into 6 portions and color each portion with the colors of the rainbow.

Bag the colored portions into a ziploc bag and snip a corner.

Pipe into the centre of cake tin with purple, then blue, green, yellow orange and red. Repeat until you are done with batter. Start with more batter and then lesser as you top the layers. Try to consistent with every 6 colors.

Drop the cake tin on the countertop for at least 3 times to rid of bubbles.

Steam on high heat for 45 minutes.

Cool before cutting.

What a corny cake! It would be easier if the author of the recipe would write how many egg whites one would need, instead of how many grams. :P I do not know what evaporated milk is or if I even can get a hold of it here. Or what castor sugar or cake flour is - recipes from other countries always contain lots of weird stuff I have never even heard of. But such a lovely cake, corny, but lovely. Thanks for posting the recipe.

I wonder if it actually tastes good, or just looks good?

And how to steam? I have not got a steamer... and nothing similar either.

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

Wow, is that really how it looks or is that photo photoshopped? That just....Confuses my brain. I think if I were to eat that I'd get sick from the mixture between the confusion and the sugar, :P.You should put that information in quotes though. It's something you pulled word for word off the website.

Wow, so colourful, almost blinding haha. I agree with bluebear, i haven't head of some of the ingredients. What exactly is "cake flour", plain flour? self raising flour? But it would be fun to make and show people :P, I wonder how it tastes since essentially it's just flour and sugar...

I'm going to guess that the taste is just like normal cake. Vanilla?And I didn't even know there was more than one type of flour...I thought it was all the same and that yeast is what makes it actually rise, :P. Or by self-rising did you mean flour that already has yeast in it?

Well I doubt is hard to create a multi-coloured cake. I thought I would give it a shot, but if so I would not use this recipe. Honestly I think some of the ingredients can not be found here. What a shame. Thought I would just bake a normal cake and just colour it in sections. :P

Haha, I started attempting to bake this cake and got bored half way, so I decided to make a chocolate cake instead, unfortunately my camera is broken, it did look a bit like this though:

Posted Image

actually very a like this :P

I have to say, that cake does look a little funky. After reading all of it makes me hungry too. just wish all that had been in onces and not grams. Coverting all that for us americans is a pain lol

I have to say, that cake does look a little funky. After reading all of it makes me hungry too. just wish all that had been in onces and not grams. Coverting all that for us americans is a pain lol

Get with the 21st century. :P
Anyway, as someone asked: last I checked self-raising (or self-rising, as it's apparently correctly called) flour is plain flour with baking powder and salt mixed in already. Useful for sponges, if I remember rightly. Also highly entertaining to substitute for plain flour if you read the label wrong, or just assume that the packet is plain flour. Funtimes all round with a certain batch of rock cakes that I remember making, once. Turned out far more like air cakes. :P

A quick Google search gives a little more info about what the differences between certain types of flour are. From Baking Bites:

Self-rising flour has an almost magical sound to it. And if you look at recipes that call for it, you'll see that they do not call for the addition of salt or leavening agents, though biscuits, cakes and breads made with seem to rise up just fine. The reason for this is that self-rising flour is actually nothing of the sort. It is flour that has a leavening agent - baking powder - and salt added to it during packaging. Since the ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the flour, you will get the same nice lift to your baked goods every time you use it.
If you don't have self-rising flour and you have a recipe that calls for it, you can make your own by combining 1 cup all purpose flour with 1 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt. Similarly, if you only have self-rising flour, you can reduce the baking powder and salt called for in a recipe that uses standard all purpose flour.

Now that being said, it is also worth noting that there are several brands of self-rising flour that have a lower protein content than all purpose flour (11% protein). They are effectively cake flours (8% protein). Wheat protein, or gluten, is what gives baked goods much of their structure, but it can also cause a bread to be too dense or tough. White Lily and Presto are two examples of self-rising brands that use a low-protein cake flour as their base, and if a recipe calls for one of them, you should use cake flour in place of all purpose in the conversion given above.

Hope that helps!
Edited by Mordent (see edit history)

The Baker Speaks!Behold! The Hypno Cake!

I will assume that this is the first cake that you will ever try to make that DOESN'T come from a mix. That's fine. A good first step. But for the love of the Gods, do some research. Cake Flour is easily attainable in any good grocery store in the US. Softasilk is my preferred brand. It has slightly lower protein and is VERY finely ground. As for Castor(or Caster sugar for the Brits) it is just super fine sugar. You can get finely granulated sugar from the same place as the cake flour, OR you could just break out a food processor and make your own. Do your self a favour and get 2 vanilla bean pods, split them lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the sugar before making it fine. Your taste buds will thank you.As for the whole "Grams vs Ounces" This is where Google is your friend. Just type in the amount, in this case 500g and then put 'to ounces' after wards. You get approx 17.5 ounces. As for figuring out how many egg whites that is just a Google away too. Wikipedia states that the average USDA Large has a white that weighs 38 grams. USDA XL have slightly larger whites. This recipe calls for a LOT of egg whites.Again, since this is probably the first recipe you are trying without using a mix, may I recommend using the Quarantine Method for separating your eggs? Have three bowls, one for the final whites, one for the yolks and one to Quarantine the whites to inspect them for shells and foam destroying yolk speckles. I would use this technique even if you are using an egg separator. One busted yolk could ruin your entire batch of whites.As for the Steaming... That's a tricky one, you'll need a pot large enough to hold the 9 inch cake pan and something to elevate it off the bottom. They make steaming rounds and you might be able to get one at a local cooking supply store or even a local Asian market. Just put in enough water so that the 45 minutes of steaming won't make it run dry, put the cake pan in the steam pot, close the lid and let the water boil. This is actually a very common way to cook Asian deserts and other delicacies.While you are at the Asian market, look for Ovalette. It is a foam stabilizer used to keep the egg foam from breaking down. This is essentially an Angel's Food Cake type recipe.

-reply by The Baker

I don't know who you are that reply with such stupid ****, but seriously, knock it the **** off.  You are the reason everyone thinks Americans are idiots.  Cake flour is right next to the other specialty flours in the baking aisle, the most common brand is a red and purple box that says "Cake Flour" in big bold letters.  If your measuring cup doesn't have metric measurements on it then use a kitchen scale or get out a bleeping calculator.  As for the egg whites,  buy the box of already separated egg whites from the egg substitute section.  

Better yet, just buy an angel food cake mix and add water, then divide and add food coloring.  Obviously you are all too stupid to be trying to do things from scratch in the first place.

Oh and the person who doesn't know what evaporated milk is.  Don't bother trying to cook anything, you'll just burn your house down.  Get some nice person to buckle you into the passenger seat of their car and drive you down to the bakery to pick out a cake. Make sure they get one that's already been cut since you definitely shouldn't be using knives.

-reply by Author Name - e.G. John, MikeKeywords:

That cake looks amazing, but it's kinda tripping my eyes.. :P Does it taste as good as it looks?

DIY...Behold! The Hypno Cake!

Ive shown this to my Mom, and we're gonna try  it!!  We're gonna dumb it down, and just buy a box of plain cake mix, and see how it goes. Experimentation!  woo! 

-reply by Sara