xisto Community
triplebtalk

Using Windows Explorer For Ftp Using Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) for FTP

Hey,

Today I am going to show you all how to use Windows Explorer (NOT INTERNET EXPLORER) as your FTP client.

Here we go:

Step 1: Open up any window (eg. Documents, Pictures etc.)

Step 2: In the bar at the top it should display something like:

C:\Users\YourComputerUserName\Pictures

or

C:\Users\YourComputerUserName\Documents and Settings\Pictures

Highlight that and delete it. Inside that bar write:

ftp://username:password@username.host.com/

* The italics represent:

username: Your web hosting username

password: Your web hosting password

host: Your web host (DO NOT INCLUDE THIS IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN DOMAIN...

Step 3: Press enter and wait for it to load.

There you have it, a fully working FTP client, straight from your desktop.

I personally find it nicer than FileZillaPosted Image

It seems work,but speed is slow than using other software,such like cuteftp or flashfxp.If there has no ftp tools in your computer,and you must use the function of ftp,i think it's a good idea,and which can help you:)good luck!

Also I need to add that you can use that same method in browsers like Firefox, Opera and Safari and Konqueror (the KDE file manager/web browser) in GNU/Linux even includes a full FTP browser like Filezilla so you do the same things like other FTP browsers.. :P

Also you can use the following method in Nautilus - the file manager in Gnome:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Note that the host part is ommitable if you have a domain (like TK2001 said) and you need to enter the password when a dialogue shows up after you enter that. And no, it can't crack the password on its own :P

Tried it in Windows 7 and it doesn't work very well. I would much rather just use an FPT client as it is designed for FTP. I personally use WinSCP and probably won't change any time soon. It provides a great interface with a plethora of features.

Hey,

Today I am going to show you all how to use Windows Explorer (NOT INTERNET EXPLORER) as your FTP client.

Here we go:

Step 1: Open up any window (eg. Documents, Pictures etc.)

Step 2: In the bar at the top it should display something like:

C:\Users\YourComputerUserName\Pictures

or

C:\Users\YourComputerUserName\Documents and Settings\Pictures

Highlight that and delete it. Inside that bar write:

ftp://username:password@username.host.com/

* The italics represent:

username: Your web hosting username

password: Your web hosting password

host: Your web host (DO NOT INCLUDE THIS IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN DOMAIN...

Step 3: Press enter and wait for it to load.

There you have it, a fully working FTP client, straight from your desktop.

I personally find it nicer than FileZillaPosted Image

Was this for XP or Vista? I never saw anythink like what you discribed when I opened anything. I a pic also a doc. and nothing.

It doesn't matter, I did configure it for Windows Vista specifically but all you need to do is open up any Windows Explorer window and put the information in there. So if you opened the My Computer on Windows XP all you need to do is write in the correct information (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/).

Thank you for tutorial. I am able to use in XP, I don't know about Vista. I think it also works in Vista.I use Filezilla for FTP Client. Now It is better than Filezilla .

From what I have experienced, yes. It doesn't matter what OS you are using, I have even used it on my Ubuntu, all you need to do is open up an "Explorer" window and then you need to enter in the details I wrote above, press enter and then hey presto, look what happened you can view your site!

I used to use this approach on XP, but it no longer works on Win7... instead it just redirects to the default web browser (Firefox in my case.) I'm bummed, because this was such an easy way to FTP files w/o needing the added bulk of client software.