xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpgsearcherz

Unable To Chmod Files Trying to set files to 7777

Here is a weird issue that I have with one specific folder...Chmodding.The folder in question is created by joomla's Joomunity. More or less what the installer does is put all the files and folders on the server for you, and then you are supposed to also add some more files to those folders. The issue is that I am unable to CHMOD the files *or* the folders. So I am left unable to make any changes.The methods that I have tried using are FlashFXP and also straight through the cpanel.Does anyone have experience with that same program(joomunity) and/or have any of you others had the same issues regarding CHMOD's?Thanks in advance.

Try using an ftp client like Filezilla.once you log into your server, im sure you'll find your way. last used it a long time ago.Joomla must have a component called Explorer or something like that if im not mistaken, it will log into your server from your admin account and you'll be able to change the file permissions.Good Liuck

This "installer," did it require the folder that it installs into to be chmodded to 777? If so, that would be your problem. When you let a script create anything on the server side, you lose permissions to whatever it creates because the user that owns those files is no longer you. Meaning in order for you to change anything, you would have to do it through a script on the server side. Yeah, even deleting those files.

I see what you mean by that...I'll explore more in Joomla itself to see what I come up with. I didn't even think of not being the "owner" of the files.I'll let you guys know what I come up with.And thanks!

I think I understand what you're getting at.Why don't you try first deleting the specific files.Then reuploadingthem manually,then changing the file permissionsright in cpanel?Click on the file and then click filepermisssions right at the top,and then enter 0777from there. I had no problem changing file permissions myself this way. Hope this helps.

At around 3 AM last night I finally figured out the issue.More or less I had created a new FTP account, as I use two different FTP systems(DW and FlashFXP). The FXP one uses my non-admin account, so it did not have the same privleges as the DW one.I did not know that different accounts had different privleges. I just thought that if you had an account, everything it has access to it could use, :P.Now that I tried out the admin account in FXP, it all worked perfectly.The worst part is that I spent hours and hours on that, reuploading, downloading, and all to get it working. When I finally figured it out I learned that the thing I needed it for(Joomunity) is crap anyways.What a waste of time.But I learned something from it, so I guess it isn't *too* bad.So to conclude - if any of you have issues CHMOD'ing your files, CHECK YOUR FTP USERNAME to make sure it's an admin one.