xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miladinoski

Dungeon Keeper 2 info and download as its abandonware

Posted ImageHas anyone of you played Dungeon Keeper?

It was a RTS game developed by Bullfrog (now combined with EA) and EA Games which was a sequel to DK I and and prequel to the, for bad fortune, unreleased DK III.

The player takes the role of a dungeon keeper, a bad guy, creating and defending underground dungeon from good guys - the heroes that want to invade it. There is a campaign and a My Pet Dungeon mode. You are getting gems, which would have been used in the unreleased sequel to reach the surface and rule not only the underground dungeons but also the whole world that the heroes have in control. :)

There are many, many creatures that are under your control and the heroes that the AI controls are direct counterpart to yours.

This game is abandonware for the following reasons:

You cannot buy this anywhere in the world

The makers have abandoned the IP (Dungeon Keeper)

The game is over 6 years old

Because I'm not allowed to enter the direct link, just visit the forum thread > here < and click the download link. It plays on GNU/Linux w/ WINE perfectly as I've tested it and I'm sure it plays great on Mac machines too.

Warning: it's rated M by ESRB.

Evil is good.

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

*bump*

I need to add that if you want to run it into Wine you should follow these instructions or else the game won't work.

Only the instructions about running the game aren't clear enough, because it says you need to do it like this:

CONSOLE
whiteeagle@whiteeagle-laptop:~$wine "C:\Program Files\Bullfrog\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe"

but you need to run it like this:

CONSOLE
whiteeagle@whiteeagle-laptop:~$wine C:\\Program\ Files\\Bullfrog\\Dungeon\ Keeper\ 2\\Dkii.exe

If the file name of the executable is different (not Dkii.exe) then you should change it :P

ps. I forgot, you need to disable Hardware Rendering if you hate the black border around the cursor which appears if you play it through Wine on Unixoids. :P

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

I just completed the campaign mode on my new laptop! I remember playing this and Dungeon Keeper 1 a long time ago (DK1 when I was about eleven or twelve) and it used to take minutes to load on my reallyoldcan'trememberwhatlousymodel computer, now it takes just a few seconds. This game looks really good for its age. My only gripe is it randomly crashes from time to time or it could be because I'm using Windows Vista :lol:

Posted ImageHas anyone of you played Dungeon Keeper?

I can recall happily playing dungeon keeper 1 and 2 back when i was still in school. It is truly a pity that, they never made a dungeon keeper 3. Recently, as in about a year ago i managed to find and download the game from abandon ware a day before they took it down again. I don't know if it's up there anymore but both of them are well worth playing if you haven't played them before, providing you can get your hands on a legal copy of course. Unfortunately the game is as old as dos and crashes sometimes so if you do play it, remember to save often. Edited by knoppixusr (see edit history)