xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Forte

Fire Emblem

Man, it's a shock that there isn't a topic for this already. I thought it was more popular than that, but maybe I'm wrong, so for people who aren't familiar with it, here's some history.In 1990, a very new and unique game appeared on the Famicom in Japan. This game came to be known as Fire Emblem, and stood out from the crowd of platformers and adventure games, with almost a chess like feel to it, players are given a set amount of units, each having their specific class and abilities and must meet the mission's requirements in order to advance the next stage. The units vary from your standard foot soldier with an axe, to a child which shape-shifts into a dragon. The original Fire Emblem, which only was released only in Japan, was titled "Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Ken," which translated to "Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light." This game featured Prince Marth, a descendant of a warrior of legend who slew a dread "shadow dragon" years ago. A dark force began to rise again, and Medeus, the shadow dragon, was once again given life. Marth then had to reclaim the "Fire Emblem" and slay Medeus along with the evil priest Gharnef.The game was a hit in Japan, and was an even bigger hit to importers and emulators around the world. However, the first time any official appearance of Fire Emblem's characters occurred outside of Japan was in Super Smash Bros Melee, where Marth and Roy (from the yet to be released Fire Emblem 6) were included as hidden characters. Thanks to this small, yet important inclusion, the knowledge of Nintendo's great turn based strategy game hit the western world. After a year of fan requests and petitions, Nintendo decided to localize Fire Emblem for American audiences, starting with Fire Emblem 7 (simply titled Fire Emblem here). So with the background out of the way, those of you who have played it, what do you think? My opinion on it is that it's a great series, and really brings a new experience to the table when you think about strategy and role playing games. I'm fond of chess, so I often find myself liking things that require more thought than just senselessly attacking. I can't wait for the release of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon next year.

I remember playing Fire Emblem on my gameboy advance a very long time ago. It's sort of like an RPG slash tactics game sort of like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? I thoroughly enjoyed it actually. I hear there's a version coming out on NDS soon which I'm looking forward to playing :)

Yeah, the one that's coming out for the DS is a remake of the first Fire Emblem, it's the one I was talking about - Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. I most certainly want it, because I've always wanted to play the original one. They've opted to not use sprites in it, and instead are going with rendered characters, but that doesn't really change my opinion on it very much, although it does bother me that we'll never truly have "sprites" from it. Oh well.

I have both of the older versions on GBA. Excellent replay ability. It would be awesome if they had an online game like this to play as well.