xisto Community
Bluebear

Template Help

As I pretty much always do I stopped even thinking about the idea of coding my little webbie on my own - as it turned out terrible. So once again I am looking for a free template. The problem is that I just want to find a neat, clean and just nice template and then change the header, other images and perhaps the some colours. I am not sure regarding all the copyright issues, I do not mind placing their name at the bottom at my page, but honestly I do not know if I am even allowed to alter the template in such a way?Someone please explain this mess for me... and you are welcome to throw in a couple of links to some good free (or kind of free) templates.

Some people are real good with this kind of stuff and some aren't. That's me in the later group. So after much goofing around I have settled on using joomla to build my sites. Joomla is a CMS(content management system). It is much more powerful than I'll ever need. Their are literally hundreds, if not thousands of templates available. Most all of them are free to use and modify. Most of the templates have obscure links to the authors site. If you are already familiar with cpanel then you are well on your way. I downloaded the zip file from joomla then uploaded it to my public HTML directory. After extracting the file I then visited my URL and was at the installation screen. I must warn you I didn't get it all right the first time. I should have created a sql database first. And set up a FTP account. Having the user names and passwords written down before hand would have helped. The best part is customizing the site. Their are a lot of options in the joomla control panel itself. And if that isn't enough you can edit the template itself. I have learned a little bit about css, html and php by doing it this way. It kind of inspires me with each little thing I learn. The thing I like the most is the clean web 2.0 look and feel of joomla. Their is a lot of people using it. And plenty of support. Good luck to you in your ventures.

https://www.joomla.org/

Below is one of many template sites. Most of them have live demos.

https://themebot.com/joomla-templates

Thanks. :) I am still open for more suggestions... after writing this topic I have opened to actually paying something something for creating the website/template/design. I am so tired of trying to do it on my own. It never seems to work out when I try to create something. Instead of creating a new topic; does anybody know about different websites where I can request a design? Not from a professional company. I knew about one, but I forgot what it was named... I know that there are many sites out there were people can sell their designs/templates to others, or people can request them.

I can make you a template if you would like. I would just need more info about what you would like. And how your website is going to be used. If it is just a normal website with no software within, it is a lot easier. However if you are making a site that runs a CMS, forum software, blog, etc... then it would take more work. Either way, contact me about it via PM.

try looking around at http://www.oswd.org/ for some cool designs.

They are pretty nice and editting to add your banner, etc is allowed.

jlhaslip, are there any sites like this but with other templets? there at oswd.org they to me rarely update and it is always the same type of templet.

Google free web templates and have lots of time on your hands. There are a bazillion Free Template sites around.