xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Designing Vs Templets Which do you prefer?

I was looking around the net at all the differnent templets for websites and got me to wordering. Which do you prefer to use?Templets are great. I use one myself. Mainly because I really am not that good with a true design. Only bad part of using one is your a little limited on styles. Free templets anyways. So what do you all think? Design or templets?

I browse through the Free Template sites to get ideas, but usually end up hand-coding my own version since I use some 'peculiar' codes often. One thing I like to do is use a basic/common CSS file that resets all the passings and margins which requires that I spend lots of time adding them back to get cross-browser compliance and a standard look regardless of the Browser being used to view the pages. Works for me.Overall. the layouts are all so common, but it is usually just the use of colours and images that makes a site unique. One column, two columns, three column layouts are all over the place. And then there is a Grid-style layout, too. Once you figure out what you want for the site, you will be using one of the mentioned designs and it is not difficult to do the site.

I browse through the Free Template sites to get ideas, but usually end up hand-coding my own version since I use some 'peculiar' codes often. One thing I like to do is use a basic/common CSS file that resets all the passings and margins which requires that I spend lots of time adding them back to get cross-browser compliance and a standard look regardless of the Browser being used to view the pages. Works for me.

Overall. the layouts are all so common, but it is usually just the use of colours and images that makes a site unique. One column, two columns, three column layouts are all over the place. And then there is a Grid-style layout, too. Once you figure out what you want for the site, you will be using one of the mentioned designs and it is not difficult to do the site.

I agree. I do that too some. I just wish there and there most likely is, but I havent found it yet. with Blank templets that you can change around easy. I have a few ideas for my site but knowing little on codes and without ending up with a zillion erros on the page. I just end up using templets.

I used templates once and didn't like it because of lack of options. Now all I do is hard code themes. Though I mostly deal with different web site software now that I install a theme for, then edit it from there. I find making a complete custom theme is very time consuming and sometimes not worth it. As I always put it, why reinvent the wheel? If somebody has done it, take what they have done and make it work for you. Of course you must leave their credits unless you have edited enough for it to be considered your work.

Well knowing my lack of patience when to web designing and the fact that I think there not good enough mentality, and when it comes to customers I try to give them a few options that way I cut down on the costs of building them a website. I usually like to mix and match templates and put several ideas together to make one good template, which is what I somewhat did with my last client in which I took two ideas and put them together to form one template. Sure if I took the time and went through each part of my design I bet I could make a good website based of a PSD, but I don't like spending long hours when I could easily get the same thing and change a few things around.

I think it is always good to designing your own page although it could be time taking but it is like converting you thoughts to reality but some time for the shake of speed i also have used templates.

I tried using website templates once, but I need custom banners & panels for myself.But when I try adding DIV elements the document, they get all messed up.And because I am too lazy to read the CSs code, I design my own web pages as I can understand them myself.Designing with CSS isn't that difficult. And when you become better in CSS, it is much easier to edit ready templates,since you'll understand the code well.But if you don't know CSS, and you're looking for a quick solution then templates are good one.

Absolutely NOT. I have converted .ppsd files to HTML and CSS for people that have asked. I dislike using Templates because:a.) They make your website look cheap (especially if it a popular template and it has been seen on several other websites)b.) With a template the author usually asks to have his/her name in the copyright sectionA template always makes a site look worse according to me, a template shows that the webmaster has not taken the time to consider something original and neat.

I prefer both. Mainly i use templates for clients if they require a quick fix or they have low budget. If the client have a large pocket, i would have them to overlook templates and have a custom layout tailored to their needs.

Designing our own site gives us more flexibility to design our site as per our needs and interestes. If we go with templates, we'll face many limitations...and we have to compromise at some places. But templates will give us a great look to our site, which is very hard to code ourselves (especially if we want a WEB 2.0 look to our site). And templates will save lot of our time. So....we have to compromise at some point....flexibility? or time? The answer depends on our needs. Personally I prefer to code my site.... :P

Dear friend if you are really good at developement and you can design your own catchy design then I think you should always go for your own design. Otherwise readymade free stuff may be considered. The only thing with readymade designs are that you have to compromise a lot on. Obviously designing and developing your own site is a time consuming deal and takes a lot of time. But obviously the results are really customized and unique.?

i prefer to design my website rather than use a templates, even though i am not the best at designing i think i get what i want that way. but when it comes to things like forums or blogs i would rather get a pre-designed template that i like or looks close t o my site's design, but if i feel like it i like to study the software's template's and make my own template.

People call my web designing "retro".I even stopped using javascriptclient side because of browser incompatabilities, but I think I'llchange my mind about that again. The way I see it.My web pages may be "retro" but at least theyare somewhat original and unique. I find that most of these available tempeletes are very,very generic and most of themseem to be built for blogs.For the better,or for the worse, I'd rather not use tempeletes.Much of what these tempeletes have done, is make it so a lot ofpeople can call themselves web designers, when they don't know a thing.

People call my web designing "retro".I even stopped using javascriptclient side because of browser incompatabilities, but I think I'll
change my mind about that again.
The way I see it.My web pages may be "retro" but at least they
are somewhat original and unique.
I find that most of these available tempeletes are very,very generic and most of them
seem to be built for blogs.
For the better,or for the worse, I'd rather not use tempeletes.
Much of what these tempeletes have done, is make it so a lot of
people can call themselves web designers, when they don't know a thing.

You know though when you say retro? Whenever I do a page from scratch there is always someone in the bunch that will saw ewww it looks so 90's aka retro. Honestly I like that style of a page with there frame sets. but now there so many people that find them sickening. But to each his or her own.