xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
africa

Ipl Killing Cricket the india cricket league is killing text cricket

The IPL is just killing cricket. Since when is India such a strong field?Test cricket is goign down the drain. Of course some folks here will argue that India beat aussie coz of dis junk but nah..the wickets in india are not cool for cricket.

You can't say that. Actually 20-20 format cricket is not India's idea.....many countries started it and have been playing for long time and just India imported it from them. Then Zee Corporation started ICL (Indian Cricket League). To counter them BCCI started IPC and its prize money attracted so many players through out the world and became a huge success....what IPL did in this to kill test cricket? :) Actually...there is no replacement for test cricket. Still it is measure for talent of any player...20-20 is just a luck game. Which team has good luck will win the 20-20 game. Test cricket is not like that..thats why still there are many lovers for test cricket. IPL or any 20-20 series won't kill test cricket. It just adds much more fun to cricket. :D And how can you say that wickets in India are not cool for cricket? These pitches will be different in different countires..thats why we are enjoying cricket. If all wickets are same there will be no interst like this. Still many countries consider that playing in India is a huge challenge and winning in India against India will be one of the best victories for them. Wickets in subcontinent are mostly spin pitches...thats why you'll see lot of world class spinners from Indian subcontinent...And if you take economic conditions into consideration....India is the major source for income for the cricket world. If all other countries stop playing cricket in Indian sub-continent showing the reason that Indian wickets are not cool...thats the end for cricket development. And most sponsors will retire from sponsoring. :)

You can't say that. Actually 20-20 format cricket is not India's idea.....many countries started it and have been playing for long time and just India imported it from them. Then Zee Corporation started ICL (Indian Cricket League). To counter them BCCI started IPC and its prize money attracted so many players through out the world and became a huge success....what IPL did in this to kill test cricket? :)
Actually...there is no replacement for test cricket. Still it is measure for talent of any player...20-20 is just a luck game. Which team has good luck will win the 20-20 game. Test cricket is not like that..thats why still there are many lovers for test cricket. IPL or any 20-20 series won't kill test cricket. It just adds much more fun to cricket. :D

And how can you say that wickets in India are not cool for cricket? These pitches will be different in different countires..thats why we are enjoying cricket. If all wickets are same there will be no interst like this. Still many countries consider that playing in India is a huge challenge and winning in India against India will be one of the best victories for them. Wickets in subcontinent are mostly spin pitches...thats why you'll see lot of world class spinners from Indian subcontinent...

And if you take economic conditions into consideration....India is the major source for income for the cricket world. If all other countries stop playing cricket in Indian sub-continent showing the reason that Indian wickets are not cool...thats the end for cricket development. And most sponsors will retire from sponsoring. :)

Well said xpress. India has just improved and enhanced the concept of 20-20 cricket. Its not a threat to test cricket in any way as the majority of the target market for IPL is the Non-Test Match viewers. IPL is seen by core cricket lovers as well as the many others who never knew the basics of the game. IPL has only increased the popularty of the game by bringing new viewers to it. Now there are more possibilities of non-viewers attracting towards test cricket too. In this way, BCCI has only helped in increasing the popularity of cricket including test form.

Gents i hear what you are saying.A couple of days ago i was just watching the Aussie against India tour. If you didnt notice there was more people for the ODIs (that india later played vs England) than at the tests. Now what is that? it is in this regards that i feel i should mention that core cricket lover ONLY turn up for the tests. A lot of people like batsmen who just hit the ball without proper strategy as is required in a test match which is what 20-20 cricket provides..It does not do anyone good and core cricket lovers over the world who go to a test match and have the patience to see every ball during the 5days agree 20/20 is just killing the game..What i meant about the wickets in india is that they do not provide a proper basis for anyone to evaluate the success/failure of a team especially India itself. Their pitches are too different i must say. No one makes a case of the pitches in Aussie or New Zealand. Why is't such a hustle for a team to play cricket in India and not in Sri Lanka or Pakistan?

Gents i hear what you are saying.
A couple of days ago i was just watching the Aussie against India tour. If you didnt notice there was more people for the ODIs (that india later played vs England) than at the tests. Now what is that? it is in this regards that i feel i should mention that core cricket lover ONLY turn up for the tests.

A lot of people like batsmen who just hit the ball without proper strategy as is required in a test match which is what 20-20 cricket provides..It does not do anyone good and core cricket lovers over the world who go to a test match and have the patience to see every ball during the 5days agree 20/20 is just killing the game..

Thats true. One day cricket attracts more people than Test cricket. And 20-20 attracts even more than One days and Tests. Thats because now a days people are not interested in sitting all the day watching the boring matches. Thier life and thier jobs are more important for them than anything else...whether it is cricket or movies or anything else. They don't want to waste their 5 days time watching the complete matches. So....One day cricket introduced to keep the fans of cricket and became a huge success. :D

But many people are very busy these days and can't find time even to watch the one day cricket as well. How to attract these busy people? To answer it 20-20 cricket introduced. These 20-20 mathces will end in 3 hours and has much more fun as well. Thats why they became success. They are no means to replace traditional cricket. And still all cricket experts determine the performance of the players by their test cricket statistics...and I still consider test cricket as the best format to determine a team's capability. :D

Actually these 20-20 format games are to attract new countries who don't know anything about cricket and cricket fans who stopped watching cricket due to lack of time. And another reason is business. If people stopped watching cricket who will sponsor matches? And if there are no sponsors....there is no BCCI or even ICC... New formats are must to attract more people and also it is very important to develop the cricket as well. :)

Still you can see many hard core test cricket fans in the ground. But they are slowly decreasing not because of 20-20. But because of test cricket's result. If the match is interesting people can watch...but how can people show interest in drawn matches? :) ....ICC has to take proper action about this issue....

What i meant about the wickets in india is that they do not provide a proper basis for anyone to evaluate the success/failure of a team especially India itself. Their pitches are too different i must say. No one makes a case of the pitches in Aussie or New Zealand. Why is't such a hustle for a team to play cricket in India and not in Sri Lanka or Pakistan?

I don't understand this clearly. You mean we can't predict which team wins the match or series by looking at the wicket in India? If that is what you meant.....then what is the excitement in watching the game?

Yes.....I agree the pitches in India are different. And thats a must for cricket. In India you'll see spin pitches....and if you go to Australia or NewZealand you'll see pace pitches.... and there is nothing to complain in this issue. Even in Tennis you'll find different types of courts....Grass, Clay, Hard and Carpet. And some players are good in Grass and others are good in Clay. Thats their talent.... can we complain about that? :( Cricket pitches are also like that....... :D

India and its wicket:Indian wickets are just crappy wickets that are made for spin and too favourable for their team. I do like the way India plays by the way but if you look at their records away from home lol! I was actually pained to see that they can push for a series win against aussie! This boils down to the fact that we cannot tell if a team is bad just because it goes to India and loses a tour okay. They are the most "adjusted" pitches in the entire world!People no longer have time to go and watch cricket..really?:hey bro..look at it this way. 20-20 is just a fun sport..period that attracts people who just want a taste of poor cricket and batsmen who are hot blooded. To drive my point further and clearly: doyou agree guys who score big scores in 20/20 cannot last probably a day at the crease in test cricket. go to cricinfo.com to confirm this (of course big names such as Pietersen, Ponitng, Lara have been dragged into this mess lol! These are good batsmen we all agree right..because they got talent...now look at their scores in 20-20 matches!) does zimbabwe or bangladesh play good cricket for you? Now zimbabwe beat aussie in 20-20 and the Tigers once beat the Kiwis lol! Is that cricket if it does not depend on pure cricket talent. 20-20 is gambling mate. Its just like blackjack compared to chess!

Edited by africa (see edit history)

India and its wicket:
Indian wickets are just crappy wickets that are made for spin and too favourable for their team. I do like the way India plays by the way but if you look at their records away from home lol! I was actually pained to see that they can push for a series win against aussie! This boils down to the fact that we cannot tell if a team is bad just because it goes to India and loses a tour okay. They are the most "adjusted" pitches in the entire world!

:)
Every country will take advantage of making pitch for their home team. This is true whether it is India or Australia or England....whatever the team may be...Have you ever seen any team making a spin pitch while India is visitng their country? They will definitely try to make a pace pitch. Every team want to utilize the weakness of other team. If a country failed to play in a spin pitch that must be their weakness. That means that team is weak in playing spin.
Seems like you don't have any good opinion about India....lets leave it... :D

People no longer have time to go and watch cricket..really?:
hey bro..look at it this way. 20-20 is just a fun sport..period that attracts people who just want a taste of poor cricket and batsmen who are hot blooded. To drive my point further and clearly: doyou agree guys who score big scores in 20/20 cannot last probably a day at the crease in test cricket. go to cricinfo.com to confirm this (of course big names such as Pietersen, Ponitng, Lara have been dragged into this mess lol! These are good batsmen we all agree right..because they got talent...now look at their scores in 20-20 matches!) does zimbabwe or bangladesh play good cricket for you? Now zimbabwe beat aussie in 20-20 and the Tigers once beat the Kiwis lol! Is that cricket if it does not depend on pure cricket talent. 20-20 is gambling mate. Its just like blackjack compared to chess!

Yes buddy.......people are really busy these days. I had seen many people who have a great interest in cricket stopped watching cricket due to their busy schedule. :)

And I already agreed with you about 20-20 in my previous post. You are right. 20-20 is just fun sport. Thats no way to count a team's talent. I already told you 20-20 games are pure luck games. No wonder in Zimbabwe beating Australia or any "little" team beating a big country. Its their luck on that day. :D And personally I can't take 20-20 performances into consideration. I just watch the match and leave everything after that match, just like watching a movie.... And I won't compare 20-20's result to Test. :D

alright..we have an understanding there BUT i have got nothing against India. Its the pitches that side that freak me out. You see i love cricket and the IPL is not my fav league pal! The fact that India's related to this new demon only makes it worse...as i also hate the pitches there! Teams are struggling in India while India maintains its ratings!Other teams are not that unfair. Its generally known their pitches are for spin but now..its even worse...every top team that is doing good everywhere else is getting thrashed like its never played cricket before!I liked the sa game against aussie! it was test cricket in its purest state .

Edited by africa (see edit history)

Well personally I don't find cricket all that entertaining (test cricket that is) because it is a very slow paced game and for those (like me) who don't understand the strategy and skill behind winning test matches and batting and bowling, it makes for very boring viewing.Some of my friends say 20 20 cricket takes the skill out and is seriously just a ball bashing fest but it is definitely the more entertaining version to watch! It just looks like more fun and has actually gotten me to watch a few games and enjoy them!Thats just my 2 cents though... I don't know much about this new IPL league in India and how it'll affect cricket as a whole but as a viewer, I do enjoy the 20-20 matches :)