xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
enhu

Please Help: Xampp Installation

i will be installing xampp so this xampp-win32-1.6.8-installer.exe is still sitting here in my desktop and i'd like to doubleclick this to proceed the installation but the problem is.i dont know what script i shall edit to make it work. like php.ini or config.inc and all.what shall i do inorder for it to connect mysql, phpmyadmin and all.

First proceed with installation...no need to edit any file while installing the xampp. After installation post your problems and I will guide you... :)

I installed XAMPP on Windows Vista. The only problem installing was that when the computer would restart the service cannot start on its own. I tried few things to make it run but some how Windows Vista's User Access Control blocks the service from starting automatically. And this is even after marking startup as Administrator.So currently I have disabled UAC and the restart of the machine starts XAMPP without a hitch. There's got to be some step I'm missing...

Hi enhu,

try this Installation tutorial I hope it helps.

This tutorial still woks with current installer. If you've access restriction on Vista then you've to look for something on Black vipers system services hacks on how to work around with that. I tried that when i had problem with XP and XAMPP 1.1 earlier.

If PHP/Mysql services are not starting up automatically then you've to start manually. Even i've this problem on XP, unable to find out workaround with this.

I installed XAMPP on Windows Vista. The only problem installing was that when the computer would restart the service cannot start on its own. I tried few things to make it run but some how Windows Vista's User Access Control blocks the service from starting automatically. And this is even after marking startup as Administrator.

So currently I have disabled UAC and the restart of the machine starts XAMPP without a hitch.

There's got to be some step I'm missing...

You want to run XAMPP control panel as service? I don't know about Vista, but if it works the same way as XP..it must have something like services(services.msc), in which you can decide which programs to start automatically and which programs not...may be you can change the Startup type to automatic there... If you have already done so and still facing problem, sorry I can't help much with Vista :)

thanks all.@mahesh2k thanx for the tutorial. but i cant totally follow the whole tutorial since it teaches wordpress there and i dont know where to find the wp-config-sample.php. :) anyway, i've installed it correctly and running. i have my script written already and so i wanted it to work in the local environtment and hopefully to the internet. how must i do that and where must i put my php files?

i have my script written already and so i wanted it to work in the local environtment and hopefully to the internet.

how must i do that and where must i put my php files?

Put your files in htdocs folder in XAMPP directory.....and access your php files in browser in the following way

LOCALHOST/filename.php

thanx for the tutorial. but i cant totally follow the whole tutorial since it teaches wordpress there and i dont know where to find the wp-config-sample.php. sad.gif
anyway, i've installed it correctly and running.
i have my script written already and so i wanted it to work in the local environtment and hopefully to the internet.
how must i do that and where must i put my php files?

Hi enhu, if you're working on PHP files you don't need to go for step of creating mysql database etc if you're not for wordpress.

If you want to test your PHP files.
1) Create PHP file with any text editor of your choice. then save it with extention .php.
2) Locate HTDOCS directory in XAMPP installation folder.
3) Copy-paste or save your php file in the directory "/xampp/htdocs/"
4) Enter this address in web browser http:// localhost:8080/ <name of php file>.php or LOCALHOST/filename.php
5) Make sure you've Apache service running in XAMPP control panel.

Hope this helps.
Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

thanks.

i overwrite index.php inside the htdocs folder since i also have an index.php and i encounter an error.

should i set a root and password? but where?

i'm sorry , but i;m really new to this.

error:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\xampp\htdocs\includes\connection.php on line 4

Database connection failed: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Edited by enhu (see edit history)

i overwrite index.php inside the htdocs folder since i also have an index.php and i encounter an error.should i set a root and password? but where?

I recommend creating new folder for project in htdocs in order to avoid overwriting.

For rest of the problem,i'll reply here soon. Let me try to reproduce the problem on my computer. Let me see if i can find workaround that way.

it add up the roadblock after i create a root user and password. great! now i cant access phpmyadmin. :) i cant find a command prompt either in the control pannel to which i can write syntax. i put my files in a folder and transfer it to htdocs folder now. im terrible. what shall i do next?

it add up the roadblock after i create a root user and password. great! now i cant access phpmyadmin. :)

i cant find a command prompt either in the control pannel to which i can write syntax.

i put my files in a folder and transfer it to htdocs folder now.

im terrible. what shall i do next?

Now access your files in the new folder like this....LOCALHOST/foldername/filename.php

What help do you want about mysql?

here's connect file:

<?php $connection = mysql_connect("localhost", "root", ".....");if (!$connection) {die("Database connection failed: " . mysql_error());}$db_select = mysql_select_db("tagalogteach",$connection);if (!$db_select) {die("Database selection failed: " . mysql_error());}?>

Edited by enhu (see edit history)

Well.....first change the root password to something else...and put it in

$connection = mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "yourpassword here");

and also create a new database with name tagalogteach in your mysql and import all the data (or tables)....

You must have a database before you try to connect it.....