xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Evershock2 EODJC

Computer Automatically Turns Off

Dear people..My computer would turn on as usual until the 'Windows is starting up' screen.. It will automatically turn off and cant be turned on for a couple of seconds (approx 15sec).. It may sometimes turn off at the log on screen or even when the computer has fully started up and is ready to be used.. Without touching the mouse, keyboard or any process, the computer can just turn off by itself..Here are couple of things I have tried myself. I unplugged the wire linking to my hard drive and turned the computer on.. The screen wrote 'Bootup error' which makes sense.. But within a few seconds later, it turned off by itself.. I tried unplugging the main power wire out of the computer for several days.. After which i plugged it back and used it.. Everything worked well even till start up.. When all processes had settled down and ready to be used, i left the computer alone and waited for anything to happen.. True enough, the computer turned off by itself and the screen turned blank with the 'No signal' notice..Please, somebody help me.. Tell me what is wrong with the computer and what can I do to save it.. I thank you in advance..

I think the problem resides in your motherboard. If that then you cannot do anything on your own. Take it to your local computer servicing center. Before that try Removing your RAM, clean it and insert it again. Try interchanging the RAM slots and check. Most of the problems are due to RAM. Clean the motherboard if it has dust. And also check the temperature of your CPU...over heating also causes the problem. If still problem continues take it to servicing center.

Sounds like a problem with your motherboard, if you have recently added new hardware, then it is also possible that the power supply unit you are using is not powerful enough. One way to find out, is to unplug everything but the essentials, and remove any un-needed expansion cards, then try booting. otherwise its most likely the motherboard!

Best case scenario is that it's your power supply going dead. Depending on frequency of turning your computer on and off, Power Supplies can last anywhere from 3 to 5 years, in some cases longer, but that's about the average life span for those. Pretty much the best way to check for that is to smell it... if it smells like fireworks when they go off, it burned something inside of it. There's no fixing those, so you can only get a new one. If it were a RAM problem, the computer wouldn't shut itself off, it would simply get to one of the POST screens and tell you that there is a problem with the RAM. You should probably listen to xpress and check out that everything is working. If the fan doesn't work on the processor, it will shut off the entire computer to keep it cool.

u need check carefully, it is blue screen and restart , or just restarthigh probability is hardware problem, like xpress said, RAM , overheatif can not do it yourself, find computer service center

I hate to say it but sounds like you picked up something like a guy I know from work, He had the same problem. whatever the virus was, was turning off the power to his power supply. He had another older PC on hand, with a smaller hard drive, so he thought he would just change over. well after a day or so, the oler PC did the same thing. this is how he found out it was a virus. None of his antivirus programs picked it up, so it must be very very new. Just a thought. hope it helps ya

I hate to say it but sounds like you picked up something like a guy I know from work, He had the same problem. whatever the virus was, was turning off the power to his power supply. He had another older PC on hand, with a smaller hard drive, so he thought he would just change over. well after a day or so, the oler PC did the same thing. this is how he found out it was a virus. None of his antivirus programs picked it up, so it must be very very new.

Its unlikely a viruses would do this, as a virus does not have access to the power supply itself, it can shut down the computer bu no cut the power.
And most viruses have a point now, like to steal credit card numbers, or collect information about computer usage...

The point at which he says his computer cuts off doesn't seem to indicate a virus. I'm almost 100% certain it's a hardware issue of some sort. Also, as a quick check... The computer itself does stop running right, the screen doesn't just switch to "No Input" while the computer is still on, correct? If the computer is still running and the monitor turns off, it's a problem with the port on your graphics card.

Go backComputer Automatically Turns Off

There is an easy way. But first save all of your important files in a usb or a memory card, and go to system restore. If you restored your system from the very beginning (Which is very important) Then it can fix your problem. Because if your computer goes back as the way it is, then you won;t have any more problems with the unexpected shut downs and restarts. It will be like, as good as new!But you have to have an antivirus program to scan all of your important files in the usb. When all is clean, then you are good to go!

-reply by Rev. Joshua

turning blue/or perhaps singing the blues/and turning off periodicallyComputer Automatically Turns Off

well-my computer was cleaned  and sometimes, it makes a snap when I hit the keys-depends on the day-but then-I make streetlights turn off-sometimes on...And the mouse usually on internet turns everything blue-what's up w/that? plus all these damn jobhunting websites are a joke-relatively useless!

You may want to check how hot your PC is as well. If your PC is overheating it will usually turn off itself. If it is overheating then it is most likely to be caused by the processor. You will need to install a new heatsink fan on your processor and maybe try installing more fans around your case. That has happened to me in the past and after sorting out the cooling system, the PC worked perfectly fine.