xisto Community
cemeteryrecords

Dollar Tree The place for great deals

Hello, Me again.I'm currently reviewing Dollar Tree. I used to work there about 6 months ago, so let me leak some things for you.First off, all food sold by dollar tree is near expired when it arrives there. Companys send them the food that they can't sell (not selling or expired) Dollar Tree is very aware of this, simply because THEY set it up. Some times food may arrive there TWO (2) days before it expires. They keep NO record of expiration dates. The food can sit there for MONTHS expired if nobody buys it (which happens) and they do not remove it. When I realized this and asked my boss (store manager) why this is, he replied, "The people who shop here arent smart enough to realize it." Even if somebody opens the food, they look at it and say, "eh, it's fine", reseal it, and put it back. This is done with ALL products. Probably why they have a "NO RETURN" policy. All Plates, Bowls, Cups, and Silverware (Not paper or plastic, but the dinnerset ones) contain Lead...yes, you read that correct, LEAD! They are very aware, offer no warning of this, and ALLOW IT. Thats about all I can think of right now, but keep those in mind...

That doesn't surprise me. All dollar stores are a rip off, and I only go there to have fun, (and usually get kicked out). I have sword fighted with brooms there (lead in those?) and played baseball with the plastic bats and balls there. I usually never buy much of anything there.Thanks for the heads up though!

That's pretty bad. Good thing we never bought food from there... or anything really, aside from cheap trinkets, ornaments, and the occasional toy. Thanks for sharing this somewhat disturbing fact with us. But just to make it clear, we have a variety of "Dollar" stores around here, so do you specifically mean "Dollar Tree", or just any of them (ie Dollar General, Dollar Store, 99 Cent Store...)

Here in Toronto I find the Dollarrama prettygood.I don't really use the plates from there butthey are plastic anyway.Quite functional still. The food isn't bad though,Cans of stew,chef boyardeetuna,salmaon etc.Not bad at all. Some of the chocolate bars(2 for a dollar) aresurprisingly good and rival the big brands(Kit-Kat,Coffee crisp,and all that). Overall it's a good place. There are some other types of "dollar stores" here thoughthat are pretty bad and should be avoided.

I really dislike dollar stores to begin with, aside from buying things like packaging materials for mailing items..About food, I would never even really consider it. At most, their "cheap" foods would be the same ones that you could obtain at other stores(Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) as store brands for at or around the same prices. Of course, candy is always the same regardless as to where you go(Assuming you are not buying in bulk).In terms of clothes...I've just never really considered it.So...I guess all I can say about the near-expired food is that someone has to take the hit for it, so they are not in the wrong for attempting to sell it. There are many things that are still good after the expiration date. Usually it's not even a "Use By" date, but rather a "Best if used by" date. We used to go to the cake store(Dolly Madison) and buy things at/right after expiration all the time. It was nice getting $20 cakes and stuff for like $2, heh.Of course there are some foods that are *not* good after expiration(Milk..Meats...)

Yeah, There's two or three Day Old Bread stores around here selling breads on the cheap just because they're a bit stale. Still delicious, and still makes great toast. I think the common rule of thumb is that bread is good for a week after the date on the package, while meat is really only good two days later... something like that.Also, clothes? The only clothes sold at dollar stores around here are little kids clothes, so I've never thought about getting any from there.

I like the Dollar tree there are allot of good things there i don't buy there food anymore, but i buy cleaning supplies there. I have bought some of the food and wondered why it was so stale and allot of it is nasty tasting but you get what ya pay for.Good if your starving and only have a few dollars to spend on something to eat. Great place to get RC pilots for RC airplanes. :)

To the two people before me, you speak of the food...Well there have been other stores(Wal-mart included) that have been found changing the expiration dates on items like meat. More or less taking the tag that tells expiration, peeling it off and sticking on a new one if they feel that it is "still good."To me, it's hard to really trust the dates anymore. We just kind of buy what we are eating within a couple days.

Dear friend if you are correct then its a worst type of truth I mean to say, if they are doing it then its really bad and not humane. By the way its the world the bad things out there are spreading very vast and just for their income they don't know what they are doing.?

If what you say is true, that's a bit of a worry :) Personally I've never bought anything from those 'dollar shops'. I never trust the quality of the products there, I just get a dodgy vibe for some reason.Still, lead and near expired food, very worrying and an extreme health hazard. I'm surprised people haven't cracked down on this.

Some foods which claim to expire on certain days are still good past their date; I mean, have you ever heard of "rotten" soda or Twinkies? When you open the package, you can tell right away if something is spoiled or not. It's just a pain to have paid for it by then, but the dates are printed right there if you need to check. As long as you use good judgment, you should be fine.