xisto Community
mrdee

Parked Or Addon Domain?

I was wondering whether it is best to park my domain or use it as an addon, now that the email facilities have moved to google.At the moment my domain vlaanderen-flanders.org.uk is a parked domain on vlaanderen-flanders.trap17.com, but I am having incredible trouble setting MX records and that.So, what is my best bet?Leaving it parked or set it as an addon?Thanks in advance.

Basically a parked domain and addon domain are different. A parked domain will be useful if you want to redirect a new domain name to the same website. And an addon domain will be useful if you want to host a new website within the same hosting account.

In your case you want to add your .ork.uk domain name to the same website which has Xisto subdomain......

so you should use parked domain. :)

In addition, to park a domain usually means that you park a domain on your domain, so it will point to the same domain or subdomain you're having.. Addon domain is the same as domain parking, just has another meaning it parks a domain in/on another location, in CPanel it usually needs to be somekind of subdomain which is just another directory on the server..Personally I only use addon domains, because I don't see no point of using Parked domains feature, unless you want example.com and example.org and example.net pointing to the same source :)

Well they are both very similar, a parked domain just redirects to your current site, an addon domain redirects to a subdomain of your site or a directory of your site, so really they are nearly exactly the same!I use addon domains, to direct the domains I buy through Xisto's awesome MyCENT system to different parts of my site!

Why not go to support center and ask a question. The Xisto mods and admins are really nice people and they do help others in their ventures, of course within Xisto. There are help you may try but I am not too sure whether you will get your answer there.Try a few Google search as well may lead to some interesting results. Good luck.

Well, I wrote this post while I was having problems with my account.For about a year now I have had my main domain on Trap 17, and when i started using my web space I was advised to park my domain, which worked perfectly (and still does as a matter of fact).Then, later, I acquired a second domain, but that was a lot more difficult to set up, especially since Trap 17 stopped adding the email feature to your hosting and let you take Googlemail accounts instead (mind you, that works great too).However, the second domain i had and the Googlemail feature proved to be much more difficult to set up, due to CNAME, DNS and redirection settings that had to be set correctly.I could not manage to do it on my own, so the guys at Xisto stepped in and did some configuring.It took a long time before it all worked, and at first, my second domain was neither parked nor added on (I really did not have a clue how they managed to do that), but in the end I had one parked (my first) and one addon (My second) domain.So, it looks to me like what someone posted earlier in this thread is true: parked and addon domains are practically the same.However, it might be (for as far as my knowledge goes) that addon domains might be a little bit better, as now, the site I built using my second domain has all its files tucked away in a neat and easily recognisable folder named the same as my domain.

The key difference between a Parked Domain and an Add-on Domain is where the source of the files points to.Parked Domains point to the Account root, so the Parked Domain presents the same pages/files as the Account root.Add-on Domains get pointed to a particular folder of the Account. So, if you need/want different information provided on a second (or third) Domain, use an Add-on Domain. Simple.

oh thanks for making that clear, i put 2 parked domains and one of them displayed "Great Success ! Apache is working on your cPanel? and WHM? Server" i will try to use the addon domain feature to see if i can host it in a separate folder

so, i can?t figure this problem out. i chose to have tatati.net as addon domain, created the proper ftp account, i put stuff in the directory and it still yields the ?great success...? webpage. the domain resolves to an xisto server so this has to be some cpanel configuration trick i am missinganybody knows how to fix this?

can parked domains mask the original URL?

When you enter your parked domain on browser, the parked domain will appear on the address bar. The original domain and parked domain will both work separately, but will go to the same website. Do you want to redirect your original domain to your parked domain(that means whenever a visitor enters your original domain, it redirects to the parked domain)?

If so, Go to REDIRECTS in your CPanel and choose your original domain at http://(www.) and enter the parked domain address at redirects to-> filed. Leave the TYPE as Permanent(301). And click on ADD. Now your original domain will redirects to your parked domain.

When you enter your parked domain on browser, the parked domain will appear on the address bar. The original domain and parked domain will both work separately, but will go to the same website. Do you want to redirect your original domain to your parked domain(that means whenever a visitor enters your original domain, it redirects to the parked domain)?

If so, Go to REDIRECTS in your CPanel and choose your original domain at http://(www.) and enter the parked domain address at redirects to-> filed. Leave the TYPE as Permanent(301). And click on ADD. Now your original domain will redirects to your parked domain.

Allright thanks for the info, need the domain masked, just like having 2 domain names for a single site. :P