xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Google Map Grr tried to get help

Okay I will be the 1st to admit when it comes to html and java I am not the brightest in the world. I joined googles API group to try and get some help since all there so called help files are too intence for me to understand. Made a post that I was very new to this, and the reply I got was. Read the help files, everything you need to know is there. Hello! These help files are for people that know what they are doing. I dont. I have read them re read them, and and for the love of me I am lost. Why can't google make some of there help files for a novice like me? They show you how to make your first map and that's it. The rest they show and tell you how to do is so far out into left field you have to have 10 majors in Java and programing.

Yeah, well that kind of stuff tends to be pretty technical I guess. I totally know what you mean. When I've dealt with this kind of stuff in the past, I usually end up having to learn the language completely. However, if you look, there might be some people who have created easier to use frontends or management systems. That's where I'd start. Otherwise, I'd try to find something else to do your job, or else do some HTML and JAVA research. Tools like the Google Maps API are incredibly powerful, but really technical as you say...but because they're so complex, it makes them more powerful and customizable. I guess if you want to really create something with it it's going to take a lot of time.

Well I have this problem quite often, not with "Google Map" but with pretty much every other site where I try to gain some kind helpers. When explaining to someone with no knowledge at all it is very important to be very thorough and not leave anything out. Unfortunately that is not how it works on everywhere and some pages are just meant for people with a certain amount of knowledge. It can be annoying, very annoying actually, but the bes thing you can do if so happens is to try to go somewhere else and learn things more thorough and rather come back or double check with the "complicated" site. :) I should know, being me is not very easy all the time!

Well, to be perfectly fair, the help files of these things are just to help you learn to use the API, not to learn how to use JavaScript. If you don't understand JavaScript very well then, yeah, you're going to run into some problems trying to read their documentation. Granted, you could have gotten more support from the forums, but even still it's not necessarily the job of the community to teach you JavaScript. The best advice would be, as cangor said, hire someone else to do it or learn JavaScript better.

Google Maps (for a time named Google Local) is a free web mapping service application and technology provided by Google that powers many map-based services including the Google Maps website, Google Ride Finder, Google Transit and embedded maps on third-party websites via the Google Maps API. It offers street maps, a route planner for bicycles, pedestrians (routes less than 6.2 miles[1]) and cars, and an urban business locator for numerous countries around the world.