xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Variablez

Windows Vienna Microsofts Soon to be new OS.

Hey everyone! I just found out that Windows 7 (Formaly known as BlackComb) is now not just a codename! They are making it! Its gonna be called Windows Vienna.. well here is some info I got off WikiPedia:

Windows 7 (formerly codenamed Blackcomb and Vienna) is the next release of Microsoft Windows, an operating system produced by Microsoft for use on personal computers, including home and business desktops, laptops, Tablet PCs, and media center PCs.[1]

Microsoft stated in 2007 that it is planning Windows 7 development for a three-year time frame starting after the release of its predecessor, Windows Vista, but that the final release date will be determined by product quality.[2]

Unlike its predecessor, Windows 7 is intended to be an incremental upgrade with the goal of being fully compatible with existing device drivers, applications, and hardware.[3] Presentations given by the company in 2008 have focused on multi-touch support, a redesigned Windows Shell with a new taskbar, a home networking system called HomeGroup,[4] and performance improvements. Some applications that have been included with prior releases of Microsoft Windows, most notably Windows Mail (formerly Outlook Express), Windows Movie Maker, and Windows Photo Gallery, are no longer included with the operating system; they are instead offered separately as part of the Windows Live Essentials suite.[5]

So apparantly it will be like a massive upgrade for Buisness and Ultimate users of Windows Vista. Im so looking forward to this!

I think you misunderstood that one....The name of the Microsoft next OS will be Windows 7...But its not going to be Vienna... Vienna was the code name of Windows 7. Read that wiki again. Already many topics are here discussing Windows 7. :)

You can find the details in Microsoft's website also. Microsoft released a pre beta version for its Windows 7. You can find the details here....Windows 7 pre beta release

Edited by xpress (see edit history)

I thought that the name was Longhorn? hmmm Maybe microsoft is trying to throw everyone off with all this names and they will just call it HEY YOU! :)

Wasn't Longhorn the early name for Vista? Vista has been a nightmare in many regards and even microsoft is saying that it is an option for people to order operating system Vista with XP downgrade and then wait for Windows 7 rather than using Vista.I don't care what they do just get rid of Vista. User security for home and even some business users just went over board and so I hear they are going to scale that back down a bit.Maybe I am just getting old but after using and installing both Operating Systems on home and business computers I can still report many frustrations with Vista and a lot less with XP.But I will look forward to seeing with this Windows operating system is like. I mean there really is such a fuss when a new operating is coming out. It's not like I am going to line up outside a computer store for hours and get a first release or anything. But it IS a part of what we use everyday so i guess it is important.I wish they would just make a cybernetic implant and be done with it :)KJ

Well i think Vista is failed attempt from Microsoft just like they failed with Windows ME. Windows 7 if have kernel improvement and less clutter related to drivers then i don't see any problem with windows 7. But With Vista we've seen more than 10 license models to purchase vista that was hell too picky for consumers. So more and more vendors are moving for Ultimate, Home premium and Business editions.With Vienna, they need to limit the editions or else same failure like Vista. Also they're facing lot of competition from Apple, Linux and BSD on market. Many hosting companies and customers are moving to Linux for reliable and secure hosting. MS can't stay in the game with .net and other customized software for long. But they need to focus on operating system a lot if they need to stay in the game of software. Again their moves of "Open source" software with codeplex and "Heroes happen here" was good, and we have to wait for more of their contribution for open source.So even though i love to work with Linux and Apple, i'm interested in Vienna and Surface computing technology from Microsoft. :)