xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wingman23

My Experience Of Tinnittus

If people dont know what this is, to put it simply, its a high pitch noise in your ears which is constant,24 hours a day. Ive had this now for over twelve months so i am regarded as a cronic sufferer. Belive it or not though after all this time, your brain starts to filter it out a little. I hear it all the time but its nothing like it was in the beggining. At the start of all this, well firstly it scared me half to death as i though i had a brain tumour or something. Course i went to the hospital to check it out, and it wasnt and my hearing is 100% too. The doctors then told me what it was, gave it a label. Id not heard of tinnittus before, and when they told me that there was no cure for it, i became very low for a while. it was very hard to come to terms with that i would never have silence again, and at first i couldnt sleep for the noise.Then found i could sleep better if i played a sort of sound track of the sea on the hi-fi, very low but enough for my ears to register it. This had the advantage of my brain listening to the sea and blocking out the whistling. Sleep helps to get your mind focused so after a month i had enough and decided to try to manage it. researching it i found that there are a lot of differrent sort of noise a sufferer can get, from a sort of hissing noise, to a full blown scream. luckly though after all these months, mine seems to have gone down to a hissing, or at least thats what my brain hears now anyway. Experts on this subject have said thats its got more to do with prolonged stress, this can trigger this condition off, they call it brain noise. nobody really knows where the noise is generated which seems to be why they cant find a cure. The only hope you have if it becomes too much for you to cope with, is to have noise maskers fitted like hearing aids, which produce a white noise which masks out the whistling.Does anybody else suffer with this condintion

Edited by wingman23 (see edit history)

Yes.I suffer from it too although suffer is hardly the word any moresince I've gotten used to it.That's funny you mention the sound of the sea.I always leave a fan on at night when I sleep and that too reminds me ofthe sound of the sea. I always have to have extra sounds going on in the background.The sound of silence is just a little too loud. I got my condition from playing and recording music,especially with headphones on .Must watch the volume.

I feel for anyone who has this condition. A good friend of mine also had it and at times had kept him from sleeping properly or thinking clearly. By process of elimination, his doctor helped him discover a possible cause and it was one of the medications he was taking. That medication was substituted with another and his condition has improved and is expected to clear up completely.

There's a weath of information on the American Tinnitus Association website and maybe you'll find something useful there

American Tinnitus Association

I hope you can overcome this awful condition.

Ah, yes, I have suffered with Meniere's Syndrome which causes ringing in the ears among other symptoms. I have gotten to a point where fans running or any constant low noise motor operating does mask the ringing. However, I have managed to ignore it as much as possible. As already mentioned, silence is the enemy. There never is any silence for those suffering from ear ringing. I have several tones at the same time. Now as I sit here composing, I can hardly hear anything besides the ringing in my ears. :)

Meniere's Syndrome