xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saitunes

File Manager In Puppy Linux

Does anyone know if you can get a different file manager (instead of rox-filer) for puppy linux? I find it difficult to use compared to the ubuntu one (Nautilus i think its called)Does anyone know if you can get a different one?

What is Puppy Linux? I haven't really been keeping up with the distros very well but I know the main names...I just haven't gotten into Linux because of the lack of game support(I play mmorpg's a lot).

You have the following choices for file managers: Konqueror (KDE 3's is pretty much an all-in-one file manager), Dolphin, Nautilus, Thunar and PCManFM. If you want simplicity, go with Thunar; if you want slightly more than that, go with PCManFM; likewise, Nautilus; likewise, Dolphin; likewise, KDE 3's Konqueror.

What is Puppy Linux?

Puppy Linux. It's basically a lightweight Linux distro (similar to DSL in a sense) that can run on Apple computers. If i'm not mistaken, that is all it was made to do—make Linux available on Apple computers.

I don't think puppy was designed for that ...

What is Puppy Linux?

Puppy Linux is an operating system for computers. Other well-knownOperating systems are Microsoft Windows, Apple OSX, and MS-DOS. PuppyLinux is based on GNU/Linux. It is completely free and open source software.

Is there a Manual?

Manual

How is Puppy Different?

• Small size, around 93MB! This lends itself to some very useful and unique features
  • 'Live' booting from CDs, DVDs, USB flash drives, and other portable media.
  • AbilityTo run entirely from RAM, making it unusually fast and particularlyRelevant to modern PCs with solid state CF drives as used in Netbooks
  • Very low minimum system requirements
  • Boot times, well under a minute
  • Usability and Compatibility
  • Complete range of applications: wordprocessors, spreadsheets, internetBrowsers, games and image editors. Extra software in the form ofDotpets and dotpups. There is a Puppy Software Installer included
  • PuppyIs easy to use and little technical knowledge is assumed. Hardware isAutomatically detected. You will often find, whereas on other operatingSystems you had to install extra driver software to get your particularDevice functioning, Puppy will succesfully detect and install theDriver without prompting.

How is Puppy organised?

It depends on what is trying to be achieved

Version 4.2 of Puppy is a benevolent dictatorship run by project leader WarrenIndividual projects are run by individuals or a core cell of individualsBecause Puppy is both flexible and fast, we can set up an organization as required for a given aim

Who owns Puppy?

We all do. Puppy is covered by the LGPL license an open source license

Who created Puppy?

Puppy Linux was first released in June 2003 by Barry Kauler TheCommunity, is completely organic without any formal agenda orStructure. It often takes newcomers a while to realise that thereAren't really any rules to Puppy, if you want to do something, make aNew Puplet, offer your skills or take things in a new direction you canJust do that, no-one will stop you!

Where does the name come from?

"The real Puppy, the mascot for Puppy Linux, was a very tinyDog, a Chihuahua, but totally fearless. He didn't seem to know that heWas vulnerable because of his small size. Once when my sister wasVisiting my country property, she brought her Blue Heeler, a very solidMiddle-sized dog named Muti. We were out walking, and suddenly thereWas a substantial rustling of branches of a large bush, something wasIn or behind the bush. Muti took fright and ran back behind the legs ofMy sister, whereas Puppy got into launch position in front of the bushAnd barked furiously. It turned out to be my dad playing a trick on theDogs. Puppy used to chase kangaroos and other big wild animals. Anyway,Puppy Linux is like that, reckless, unshackled, in memory of the mascot" Barry Kauler.

-reply by JohnCurtis

File manager for Puppy 4File Manager In Puppy LinuxI just added one to Puppy 4.2 last night, on another computer. Search the Murga board, it installed easily and looks good so far. 2 panes for a better overall control. If I find my way back here, I'll post later the exact thread I found it in. I don't think it's one of those listed above.

LovinFile Manager In Puppy Linux

I have been trying to find a version of *nix that will load from a live CD on the kids PC (aka old junker they can destroy if it comes to that).  I'm tried of reloading M$ OS on it.  I've looked at Fedora, Ubuntu, DSL, and now Puppy because it was rated high on the list when I did a Google for Linux Live CD.

I run WinXP on my machine because I'm a *nix noob to the nth degree.  I have been playing with different ISO download using Virtual PC 2007, and if I like it well enough, I burn the CD and go try it on the kids machine.

I like Puppy so much right now that I may see about how to get set up for dual boot on my machine.  The drawbacks are that I don't know enough about *nix distro's and commands to make it useful.  I've spent the last 3 hours searching for how to install Thunar without giving up the core Puppy desktop.  I first ran across Thunar in one of the Fedora distro's I downloaded, and I like it a lot better that this Rox or whatever Puppy came with.  And that's how I wound up here on this forum.  But alas, still no answer for this noob.

But all this rambling to throw my .02 into the arena and tell anyone wondering about Puppy... It's the best, fastest loading, easy to use, straight forward, and good looking distro I've played with. And when I learn to do more in *nix in general, I'll have this Puppy grown up and patrolling its own yard.

-reply by Suma

copy files/folders to puppyFile Manager In Puppy Linux

Using a Puppy live CD & after mounting my C drive, I find I can access my Windows files.

But when I try to copy a file I get the message I can't copy it here.

Dragging to Puppy's desktop just produces a link.

What I'm trying to do is recover files from a damaged Windows OS to Puppy.

Either that or use Puppy to  transfer them to another partition on my HD.

Am very new to Linux & unfamiliar with the required commands & file structure.

Assistance would be much appreciated.

G.

-reply by Grump

Re: copy files/folders to puppyFile Manager In Puppy Linux

Puppy Linux boots to RAM, therefore, do not copy to the desktop or you will lose those files as soon as you reboot.

In Puppy, there is a disk mount utility on the desktop and/or on the program panel at the bottom of the screen. (Depending on the distribution of Puppy you downloaded.)

Insert a USB drive after you boot Puppy, wait a few seconds and run this mount utility.  You will have a tab for each type of drive (USB, internal, floppy, etc.)

Click on the 'mount' button for the drive you want to read from and the drive you want to copy to.  A window will open for each drive in a second or two.

Drag files from one window to the other and then choose either 'Copy" or "Move" as needed.

-reply by Anony Moose

Fixing screwed up windows OS from a live CDFile Manager In Puppy Linux

To sort out the  screwed up windows OS from a live CD I used an INSERT LINUX live (O=or boot) CD.

I downloaded & burned the *.Iso file whilst working from "puppy linux" live CD & saving the "puppy personal settings" files to a USB memory stick. The windows system was left untouched for some weeks until I found the recovery option.

INSERT has a file recovery program, but it is not clear in instructions for use. That was my view at the time & that was over 18 months ago! I had to get to the "This is the last chance" mindset, and try it. The points I vaugely remember are

[1] if your recovery scan lists all partitions in green, they should be accessible via "puppy linux"'s file manager/explorer which copes with ntfs files

[2] the sector numbers (or something like that) for partitions should follow a logical sequence.  e.G.  (partition A:[start - end]) 

for end to end partitions c:[00 -34]  d:[35 - 42]  e:[43 - 50]

for embedded partitions c:[00 -34]  d:[35 - 50]  e:[43 - 50], where partition e: is a sub-partition of d:    

e: would normally be created at the beginning or end of the partition it is in, unless moved by user.

My mistake:- 

I had run a delete *.* command that went beyond my intended target of "temporary internet files" into my windows files & c: directory. The windows RECOVERY option only saw the volume of my whole disk, not my 5 partitions. I think my FileAllocation Table was messsed up because I turned of my pc before all my files were deleted!

puppy linux as permanent or second osFile Manager In Puppy Linux

hi... I want to use puppy linux without booting from cd... I want everytime I turn on a  pc,  there are 2 os that I can choose from 1. Windows 2. Puppy linux. How can I do that?

-reply by rina