xisto Community
keego

My Laurimar Gardens Website Design check out my website design and tell me what u think

Hey guys
I designed this website for a brief at uni.. the brief was to design a website which gives a feel that matches the topic
The topic/subject I was given is called Laurimar Gardens. It's a wedding reception.

This was for 2d so its only the interface design not the whole thing. so the nav won't link anywhere. but scroll over most of the things you see cause some are flash files and are animated.

This took me awhile.. it wasn't my first idea but i gradually made it my main one .. i was pretty frustrated at the time with my old design so i changed the whole entire thing in the last week before it was due.

CLICK HERE to view the design

enjoy. feel free to tell me what you think =]
Im still learning after all. Just finished my second yr of uni =]

PS: all the stuff written on the design was given to me .. everything included in the design aka info is part of the brief also (jst incase u were wondering why the hell did i add all that lol)

cheers

Beautiful and delicate design. It's a shame that the ad banners are placed at the top. It feels like a great work of art is hindered by placement of advertisement.As for the design...WOW! Nicely done. I am surely impressed with your skills. I like the navigation animation to the left. But the letters are fuzzy a bit. I think you can make it bit sharper. The animation button suits the whole theme--soft and cuddling :)The top navigation lettering must be sharper and bolder or stronger contrast. I almost missed it. But above all, simply WOW--that's all I can say. Good work! :)

A very nice looking site - the colours work really well together, and fit well with the theme and purpose of the site. The choice of font for the top navigation is also good, although it could be a little tricky for some people to read. A font in a similar style, but perhaps less elaborate, may have worked better. I would also perhaps have moved the logo to the top of the red column on the left. It's current location makes it drop off the bottom of my monitor, and placing the main branding below the fold is not a good idea!

The rest does not really apply if your task is not being marked as a website. If it is just being marked as a design then you can ignore the rest :) However, if it is being marked as a webpage then this all needs to be considered.

My main gripe, however, is with accessibility. Here is how the site looks if the user doesn't have Flash installed:
post-7593-1227647069_thumb.png

Effectively, all the user can see is your main page, with no navigation or even images. Not a great way to present a site. The accessibility problem is made worse by the fact that CSS background images are used for the titles. Not only does this make it difficult to edit pages, but it also makes it impossible for those words to appear in search engines, and impossible for them to be picked up by a screen reader.

The page also doesn't validate. That means you have no idea whether the page would display correctly in the user's browser.

Finally, adjusting the font size. As the navigation and titles are not text, they don't change size when the browser text size is changed. This make the whole design look rather odd if the user has changed their preferences from whatever the defaults are.

I'm sorry that's all rather critical and negative - I'm just trying to give constructive criticism :) Overall it is an excellent design.

Looks really nice. What I admire most about the site are the rollover buttons. They are pretty-ful. =). MAybe you could add some things that would be eye-attracting. By the way, are you vietnamese? Your last name seems so familiar.......

Nice job on the website. I like the whole layout and theme there. It looks like it took a lot of work to make. Rvalkass did make some good points about accessibility issues in particular about the css backgrounds for headings/titles and flash for navigation. In the past I would probably more likely side with him but I think in today's age depending on your target audience focusing on too much accessibility would limit your creativity. This is just my opinion and I would say if someone does not have access to an up to date browser and have flash plugin then they would certainly not be my target audience and there fore it would not matter that they cannot see my site as I had intended.I think the only reason the logo is too low is because of your ads at the start/top. I scrolled down a little and it shows up fine but yeah it all depends on the clients resolution. My screen is 900 pixels high so I can see it fine when I scroll down to hide the ads.As for the validation it would be a good idea to start making pages valid if you plan to work specifically in the web development area. This is just a standard thing but you'd be amazed at how many professional sites don't even validate so in a sense its still much more of ones taking pride in their code than something being critical and a must do.Again nice job and welcome back by the way :)

haha thanks guysYour opinions and advise is noted. LOL for all the opinions about the actual site. its not an actual website. its jst the digital mockup of the " to be" site. so yeah nothing was validated or checked. jst uploaded the flash file for the teacher to view the design . since it was for 2d class not Web design class =]But i appreciate the opinions and will use the advise for future web development =]Love you guys for posting opinionsAppreciating it heaps ^^CheersOH and yes I AM PROUDLY VIETNAMESE lollllllllll

I have gone through it and the design is really good. You have a good colour sense and you have made a good desighn. The flash animation also looks great and the whole concept is good. Are you going to make it working.?

I have gone through it and the design is really good. You have a good colour sense and you have made a good desighn. The flash animation also looks great and the whole concept is good. Are you going to make it working. 

Umm to answer your question.. most likely not.
It was only for a 2d Uni class brief. The reception and information on it is all fake.. So if I make it work , I wouldn't have a clue what it would be for lolz.
And I think Ill use my holiday to design my own website that I have been dying to do so for a few months now. lol been so busy with Uni and all.
=]

Very nice! I love the colour scheme and how you've got flash navigation with the hover effects. Very pretty and suited to the "wedding" theme. The navigation up top does seem a little crowded however. But that is just personal preference.All in all a very nice design! good work :)

The website seems to be not working at the moment? Or is it just me, can't wait to see this website. Especially from all the previous comments :P.

The site was a school project and might not be available. Check the date of the Opening Post.