xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gisellebebegirl

Puzzle! :d`

okay;; so today in ap chemistry class, our teacher put a puzzle on the board and we all spent an hour trying to figure it out, and no one was actually able to complete it;;.. lets see how smart you are.. heres the puzzle:3344556677=153make the following equation make sence by adding the following signs: + + - -(note the symbols are in in betwen the numbers;:)The closests i got to the answer was 154;; urgg..

Well I know no one will become a chemist in that class :), but I would think though that this be more appropriate in a math class and not a chemistry class, but xpress math is correct on this solution.

Nice googling skills xpress. Interesting puzzle, more along the lines of guess and check than actual math.... Also fairly easy to make, here's one that I just made up so google searching the answer won't work on this one:

2071965266=1508

EDIT: sorry about not being clear on the rules... Same rules as the topic starter.

Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

What are the rules? My javascript (I was doing a little javascript hacking (bookmarklets OWN) earlier so might as well use it) didn't churn out anything that worked. I took rules of the original post..

for(poc=1;poc<13;poc++){for(ptc=poc+1;ptc<14;ptc++){for(moc=0;moc<13;moc++){if((moc!=poc)&&(moc!=ptc)){for(mtc=moc+1;mtc<14;mtc++){if((mtc!=poc)&&(mtc!=ptc)){st="20719652661508"if(mtc>ptc){st=st.substring(0,mtc)+'-'+st.substring(mtc)if(moc>ptc){st=st.substring(0,moc)+'-'+st.substring(moc)st=st.substring(0,ptc)+'+'+st.substring(ptc)st=st.substring(0,poc)+'+'+st.substring(poc)}else{st=st.substring(0,ptc)+'+'+st.substring(ptc)if(moc>poc){st=st.substring(0,moc)+'-'+st.substring(moc)st=st.substring(0,poc)+'+'+st.substring(poc)}else{st=st.substring(0,poc)+'+'+st.substring(poc)st=st.substring(0,moc)+'-'+st.substring(moc)}}}else{st=st.substring(0,ptc)+'+'+st.substring(ptc)if(mtc>poc){st=st.substring(0,mtc)+'-'+st.substring(mtc)if(moc>poc){st=st.substring(0,moc)+'-'+st.substring(moc)st=st.substring(0,poc)+'+'+st.substring(poc)}else{st=st.substring(0,poc)+'+'+st.substring(poc)st=st.substring(0,moc)+'-'+st.substring(moc)}}else{st=st.substring(0,poc)+'+'+st.substring(poc)st=st.substring(0,mtc)+'-'+st.substring(mtc)st=st.substring(0,moc)+'-'+st.substring(moc)}}st=st.replace('66','66==');st=st.replace('6+6','6+6==');st=st.replace('6-6','6-6==');//document.write(st+" = "+eval(st)+"<br>")//eval(st) never equals 1508 :(if(eval(st)){document.write(st+"<br>")}}}}}}}

edit) and yes I know hardcoding things like this is bad D:.. I just typed 'first minus' and stuff and did a bunch of replace alls at the end :)
Edited by Nabb (see edit history)

Nice googling skills xpress.

compliments? or criticism? :)

here's one that I just made up so google searching the answer won't work on this one:2071965266=1508

OK. Here is the answer for your quesiton,

20*71-9+65+26+6=1508

Since you didn't mention any rules, I used multiplication and addition.... :)
Hey why don't we start a new topic to improve and challenge our puzzle solving skills?

it was neither. it was obious sarcasm :) also, your formula isn't just multiplication and addition. i was also under the assumption it would be the same rules as the previous post but for the life of me, i couldn't come up with the answer. seems it would be a simplier one than the original one since it's a larger # to =. i narrowed down a large percentage of the problem and i question the answer now under the same rules. nice job trying to figure out the current puzzle btw....even if multiplication isn't allowed, still a great effort!(that wasn't sarcasm btw :P)

compliments? or criticism? :) OK. Here is the answer for your quesiton,

20*71-9+65+26+6=1508

Since you didn't mention any rules, I used multiplication and addition.... :D
Hey why don't we start a new topic to improve and challenge our puzzle solving skills?

it was neither. it was obious sarcasm :) also, your formula isn't just multiplication and addition. i was also under the assumption it would be the same rules as the previous post but for the life of me, i couldn't come up with the answer. seems it would be a simplier one than the original one since it's a larger # to =. i narrowed down a large percentage of the problem and i question the answer now under the same rules. nice job trying to figure out the current puzzle btw....even if multiplication isn't allowed, still a great effort!(that wasn't sarcasm btw :P)

Yeah..I know. :D By the way....I too tried with the orignal rules (2 +'s and 2 -'s) but didn't find exact solution. So, I went to multiplication and found this one. Anyway I will try it with original rules and post here if I find the solution.

Just waiting for galexcd to tell us the exact rules. And Thanks for your compliment.... :)

some people aren't smart enough :) like me who spent an hour trying to solve the above problem. i'm curoious if it's the same rules as two + and two -. not even going to attempt it any further util i get an answer to that question :)

Sorry, I should have been more clear, the rules are the same for the original post, two +'s and two -'s, but here is a hint: operators can go on either side of the equation, not just the left side!

Wow. I didn't have the patient to do the first riddle. I think the javascript idea is great but I'm having my doubts about whether it's exhaustive. (I only say doubts because I also haven't had the patience yet to take a good look at it!) It made me a little nervous, though, when it took about 30 secs before my firefox was functional after initializing the script! Kudos to all of you patient people who come up with real answers and/or programs to make them anyways!