xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Mlb In 2009 Season too long?

double headers  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay the 2008 baseball season is now done and forgotten. Yes my mets choked again. but hey so did the yankee's. But thats not what this post is about. What it is about is how long the season is. 168 game is nice, but then I think to this year and how at the end the weather started turning colder and rainy. Yes you had a northern Club playing, Philly. and they do not play in a dome like the Marlins. MLB should I feel take a look at how the season is setup. Play more double headers. and No not these day night ones. A true double header. 1 hour between games. They are paying there gues all that millions of dollors. Why be such a "beep" and wait a few hours to play? They dont do this in the monors. so why do it in the big league?Maybe this should have been placed in venting. But I want to know just how every true baseball fan feels. Do they need more double headers to shorten the season. or leave it like it is, and take a chance of ending up playing in the cold wet days of late fall with rain and or snow.

Few corrections first, regular season is 162 games long, ya not that much of a difference but anyway, then the postseason will be a maximum 19 games but ends by November 1. The Marlins do not play in a dome but the Rays do but so do a lot of the teams who are getting new stadiums. The weather is not really that much of a factor in my opinion, it just means that your hands might hurt a little more when you use a bat but that will subside within a few minutes. The length of the season is what I like about baseball. It allows the truly good teams to come out and show their stuff and then the best of each division plus the wild card will battle it out at the end. Not every team is going to be good for every game but the length of the season allows tweaks and new strategies to see what works best. Seeing as they play 6 out of 7 days of the week I could see how it becomes tiring with all the traveling and practicing before the games and what not could effect them, despite the millions they are paid they still need a break. I can see why you would want the season to be shorter but I like being able to watch games for a majority of the year as there is always entertainment but if they were to shorten it I would keep it at at least 100 games. It would take some experimenting to see what would really work best. As for the doubleheaders, that would be cool I think but only once or twice a week like on the weekends. I do not think they would ever do it though because MLB airs their games when a majority of the people are going to watch them. That is why all the postseason games were at 8PM EST because that would be 5PM Pacific and most people would be able to stay up and watch the game after work. So if they started the doubleheaders at 4 that might work I guess but I do not know how popular it'd be with the fans at the stadium, it would be a long day.

Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

yea Plenoptic, but you have to admit it. in some areas nov 1st is down right nasty. I know the night that they had that rainout in Philly, we had snow here in new jersey. My point was. this. play more double headers. yes, maybe a Friday night or a Saturday day/nite DH. Might even bring some well needed money back to some of these littler clubs, that are in small markets, like say the rangers. besides. by the time the post season starts. American Football is getting going, also the NBA is about to fire up too. Thanks for correcting me also.

Heck no, The baseball season is too short. Another reason they wait a little bit is to give the players, coaches, staff and fans a rest. because how would you like to play baseball in 100 degree weather for 4-6 straight?(That started in my hometown of Bakersfield, more known as the devil summer home, because hell is too cold for him) Baseball seasons used to be shorter, but this has worked. I mean howmany surprises has happened since this was implicated? Alot! Take 06' for example, they were counted out, but the Cardinals said 20 years is enough, had one of the worst 1st place records ever, but they came back and beat the Padres, Beat Echos mets, and beat the roarin tigers and had overcome all odds. But sadly the MVP of that series David Ectstien had to give his corvette away that he had won, for he couldn't drive a stick. Point is See how exciting that was? That might not have happened if baseball had a shorter season.Oh and Echo of Thunder, i feel your pain, my cardinals got shot down during the hunt.

What I'd like to see is that they show more of the games on T.V.I mean, you have to buy the channels, to even see half of the games. I live in central CA, but on our local stations, they don't show any Dodger, Angel, Padre, A's or Giants games. Basically they don't show any baseball games, except for occasionally. Also ESPN Should show more, if that is the only sport, they should show it, not the world series of poker.I do think there should be more games, and a few more double headers, but all teams should get equal air time.

Well usually I get whatever is on ESPN and the Braves games. TBS always has the Braves games.The problem is where I am, there are special Yankees and Mets channels, and not everybody has $100 a month to pay for them, so we can only see what's on ESPN and the national channels.Hey! I learned how to play poker by watching it on TV :)But I like MLB a lot better!

I think baseball season is way too long.For that matter, alsothe n.h.l,and n.b.a are also way too long. I think the n.f.l is about the only one that has it right.The season begins in September and ends in January.Short and sweet really.It leaves everybody clamoring for more.

i think the NFL season is too short. I don't think that you can get an accurate representation of how a team does after only 16 games. I don't like how the NFL only has games on two days of the week also. Baseball is nice, since you can turn the channel and a game should be on at least one channel everyday.

Although i would like to see more double headers, the season is perfect the way it is. The fact that you could play 162 games and still end up tied with another team says enough.

I like the season the way it is. Heck, they are in the majors, why cant they stick it out in the cold. Too many hot day double headers could be detremental to a persons health. And just as a side note, I also believe football should be longer seasons too. How can that amount of games accuratly judge a teams proformance?