xisto Community
ahmed1412

Linux Ubuntu Vs Windows Vista Discussion on which OS is better, Vista or Ubuntu.

A few weeks ago, i downloaded a live-cd for Linux Ubuntu 8.4 and booted it from the cd. It was not as bad as i had thought (although i had trouble booting :lol: ) but REALY SLOW. So i installed Ubuntu and was pretty nice ^_^ . From my experience from vista and ubuntu i have to say vista still stands number for me. Which one do you think is better?

Ubuntu 8.04 is running excellently on my Laptop, which has only 1 Gig Ram, which Vista might have an issue with. I know that this machine is supposed to meet the specs for Vista, but many people I know that have bigger, faster machines are out performed by the Ubuntu 8.04 I have running.Took a little effort to get used to some Linux stuff, and there are some softwares I miss that i would like to have on the Laptop, but overall, I am quite happy with the Linux.

Ubuntu 8.10 seems to work faster and has better hardware support. Switching back to Ubuntu from Gentoo showed to be a bit surprising performance-wise. But ever since i switched to Linux, Windows machines have brought dissapointment to where it makes me want to install Linux on those computers. I find myself to be more productive on a Linux machine and plan to come out with my own Ubuntu-based distro some day. I don't see myself ever going back to Windows.

I haven't worked extensively with ubuntu or Vista, but on the small experience I have had. I would take Ubuntu over Vista. Me Being a Mac user, I would definitely take something other than windows Vista. I don't mind XP. But It needs a bit of stripping down which I have done and it runs quite smoothly on my mac in VirtualBox, with 64Mb of Ram. Runs really well on the old Box, it has a 1.8GHz and 512Mb Ram... Ubuntu definitely over vista.

For me, I would definitely have to go with Vista. I play a lot of games so it really is not much of a choice.In terms of reliability and speed, the others were definitely right : Go with Ubuntu. I hate Vista with a passion, so really I would drop that and go for XP instead, :). Less resources, faster, etc.

ZeealpalLinux Ubuntu Vs Windows Vista

Ubuntu is definatally better. Cheaper, faster, better graphic effects (compiz fusion) and on my 3 year old computer fire fox 3 starts up in less than a second in Live CD mode. I play my games on it using Wine (free) and mostly CrossOver and CrossOver Games (same thing almost) and that allows me to run any widows program on Ubuntu. And the run fater most of the time as well!

-reply by Alan

Yes Windows is better than any other OS and I bet, you might go to other OS just for sake of testing it or having a feel of it, but when it will come to other features of OS and more things you would like to do with your PC, you will come to know, Windows is the best. I have installed Ubuntu quite a few times, looks soothe too, but easiness and expandability of operations makes me come back to Windows.

Ignoring price , which can ruin arguments by simply saying - it costs less , I'd have to say Vista. People all over the world complain how bad it is , but I have had no problems with it so far. It may be a complete coding rewrite but it's not the epic failure people are making it out to be. I've tried Ubuntu , and it runs fine but the lack of programs that I can use for design and coding are excruciating. I use windows because over a billion people hae access to it , and there is never a lack of software or help/community. That's my oponion :)

I used Ubuntu for about a month, and thought it was absolutely amazing. The only reason I would boot into Vista was for syncing my iPhone. Then I wanted to install OS X and had no room for it...Then I got Vista Ultimate 64bit and never looked back. But from my experience with Ubuntu it was great. It took a while to get used to it from using Windows so long. The main hump was the installing business. I still don't fully understand it. But if it was in Synaptics package manager, I could handle it. I even consider myself a pretty advanced user. But I guess that is in Windows and OS X. Ubuntu definitely earned some respect in the time I used it.The massive amounts of themes available is great too. And, while I couldn't get it to work, Beryl with Emerald themes would be awesome. My friend uses it and he just raves and raves about it. And you can get it to look exactly like Vista, and it will use less power than actually running Vista would. Funny, isn't it? Ubuntu definitely was a lot more power-conscious. I noticed big speed differences between it and Vista and even it and OS X or Windows 7. Ubuntu is definitely something to check out. Just plan on spending a bit of time to get used to it. It is something you can come to love.All of this IS coming from a person who only used it for a month and doesn't any more. I am writing this review using Windows Vista Ultimate. So if you think I am a fan boy, I am not. I am more of an Apple fan boy than anything.

Replying to Tramposch
 I run both Vista and Ubuntu and Ubuntu can run all programs that Vista can and more. Vista crashed after twodays on a new PC because of an update, so I prefer all Linux dist. Including Ubuntu and Fedora-reply by josh

I used to have Dual boot comp. (vista and Ubuntu). I just use vista for gaming and Ubuntu for everyday activity.Ubuntu is easy to use for starter, and with linux kernel i think i dont have to much worry about virus.

I never really thought about dual-booting the two OS's together...I did that once a long time ago, but lately I just find it easier to use one OS with all of my stuff on it.Does Linux come with the "Atheros" drivers though?(for Wifi cards). Or do I need to download those separately?If I don't have to go out on some wild goose chase for drivers I may attempt to dual boot.

...Linux vs. Windows....this...this is a joke, right? You guys were like, "Lets mess with cem-rec" right?Just incase you guys are serious...*Windows:Virus FriendlySlowExpensiveMeanCrash Friendly(If bill gates had a dollar for every time windows crashed....oh wait...he does..)*LinuxNOT virus FriendlyNOT crash FriendlyNOT expensiveNOT mean (lol)NOT slow^If I were to go as far into this as I could, I'd be the richest guy on Xisto, hands down.But here's a general summery.

...Linux vs. Windows....this...this is a joke, right? You guys were like, "Lets mess with cem-rec" right?

Just incase you guys are serious...

*Windows:

Virus Friendly
Slow
Expensive
Mean
Crash Friendly
(If bill gates had a dollar for every time windows crashed....oh wait...he does..)

*Linux

NOT virus Friendly
NOT crash Friendly
NOT expensive
NOT mean (lol)
NOT slow

^If I were to go as far into this as I could, I'd be the richest guy on Xisto, hands down.

But here's a general summery.

You forgot to add this part:

Windows ---

Games WORK...(Albeit sometimes they crash, have memory leaks, etc.)

Linux ---

Games are NOT supported. Most DON'T work

For me that is the only thing keeping me away. Games. If I were not a gamer Windows would have nothing holding me back.

Come onnnnnnn Linux. Pick up and start allowing us to play AOC/Lineage II/etc. on your system!