xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BlueInkAlchemist

Away With Iframes

So iFrames need to gtfo of my project. Ajax isn't going to work either. But I still need to dynamically load HTML or JavaScript content into a 300x250 space and change it every 30 seconds. I don't think I can accomplish this in Flash. So how do I go about doing this?Is it possible for me do this within JavaScript? Or, perhaps, can I display external HTML content in a div tag?Thanks in advance.

I don't why Ajax would not work for reloading content for you in a DIV over a set period of time allocated. Wouldn't it just be a DIV with an ID and some Javascript (Ajax) updating that DIV's content every minute or how ever long you choose or is there something I missed here?

You can achieve the kind of effects you're looking for by searching DHTML or dynamic HTML.dynamicdrive.comI just wished what you're looking for. Is the content in a 300x250 space to be scrolling, picture, ads, fading-in and out, etc? Depending on what you're looking for dynamicdrive.com probably has scripts for your needs. I found a scrolling news message that can be set with x seconds for slight pause. I can modify the script so that I can preload all messages and change them according to months. So I can display messages 1~4 in January, 5~9 in March, 10~13 in July...etc. You get the idea.

You can achieve the kind of effects you're looking for by searching DHTML or dynamic HTML.
dynamicdrive.com

I just wished what you're looking for. Is the content in a 300x250 space to be scrolling, picture, ads, fading-in and out, etc? Depending on what you're looking for dynamicdrive.com probably has scripts for your needs. I found a scrolling news message that can be set with x seconds for slight pause. I can modify the script so that I can preload all messages and change them according to its month. So I can display messages 1~4 in January, 5~9 in March, 10~13 in July...etc. You get the idea.

@Buffalo - I will definitely check them out, thank you. The 300x250 space is for non-scrolling ad content. The ads rotate at 30-second intervals, with each client's ad being fed to the content space via an XML file. My initial thought is to parse the XML with Flash and use the call method of ExternalInterface to send the advert link to a JavaScript function. If there's another way to accomplish rotating ads dynamically within a fixed iframe-emulating div or layer, I'm all ears, so to speak.

UPDATE: I think this can be done purely in JavaScript. I found a function to facilitate the timer, and if the content I'll be working with is always fragments of code as opposed to a strict url, I should be able to copy said fragment into a div and toggle its visibility based on the timer. My concern over this method would be the load time. So, I'll need to see if I can find a way to dynamically load and unload the content of a div tag as well as managing its visibility.
Edited by BlueInkAlchemist (see edit history)